Decoys for 2017

maytom

Went to Dick's and Cabela's today to check first hand on the new crop of decoys out on the market. Well long story short, I prefer my old Feather-Flex ones over the newer Avian, DVD, or the ones put out by Primos or H.S. Strut. Those newer ones are MUCH more heavier and do not fold. With a loaded vest, your gun, and a turkey chair slung over your shoulders, these newer decoys will really weigh you down!!! In the look's department they are awesome, but the price and weight aren't!!! Ended up getting another foam hen decoy from Cabela's for less than $10.00 to add to my flock, since they don't make the Feather-Flex brand anymore. Just a heads up.

• Like 1

I have 3 foam fold up dekes I've killed birds over that now reside in the basement. Received a DSD upright hen and DSD Jake for gifts from wife and daughter. Put them into play the last 2 years. I wear the loaded vest , carry one deke , one strut chair and gun . Daughter does the same minus a vest. Some days decoys work for you and some days against. But these DSD sure look pretty realistic. Had 2 long beards hang up on edge of field last year on opening day of youth. Glassed into woods behind them to see 6-7 hens. They came in and closed the gap and my dekes didn't move to them. Curious what results would have been without them that day. Pretty sure they would have closed that 200 yards to look for us. Lost that chess match   Bastids strutted , did the tail turns and gobbled for 45 minutes. Still a bunch of fun. Millions of birds killed without decoys but I love when real birds interact so I'll continue to use them. Had hen feeding with them last year. Funny. Still want my Jake decoy lumped up by ole Tom before I drop the hammer on him. 

All decoys work, but depends on ones opinion is best is based on which one works for them... Folding rubber/foam dekes work well and easy to carry but if one is looking for a light and realism decoy I recommend the HS Strutt: Suzie Snood and Jake Snood, you blow little air in it and put in shower to form it when packed away and you can deflate it enough to fold it while you run 'n' gun, also a small backpack wouldn't hurt to put them in.

Edited by Mossberg500Guy
Spelling error

11 hours ago, dmandoes said:

decoys r for guys who cant call. :taunt: 

Decoys have their place, mostly in open fields where they can be seen from a distance. You can be a competition caller, most of the time a gobbler out in a field is not coming if he has hens with him (and often they don't care about the decoys either). Decoys are just another trick to pull out of your magic bag when things aren't going the way you'd like them to.

• Like 2