QUESTION ON REDFIELD PROPERTY

607 HUNTER

I have an opportunity to purchase land in Redfield, NY - Approx 3 1/2 miles from then boat launch on Redfield Reservoir.

The land is about 1/4 off the main road, a stone road with a handful of cabins. Each cabins pays $1000 a year for snow removal to keep the road clear.

The price is $400 an acre- rolly land, soft maple, pines and ash trees. Minimal tree values, gas and timber values convey with sale. An old timer is selling his land off from his house, I want to make sure he is not shorting him self or if thats fair market value . Does anyone have any educated estimates of land value per acre out there on a property like this so far off the main road ? Land value where I live is more like 1,000-5,000 an acre 

All I have ever done was big woods hunting, so I am use to seeing a deer or two a day. Is this also common out here ? Any input on the area of  deer or Bear I would appreciate , I am after the    big boys. 

Any input of the area I appreciate. I have attached a photo. Where the yellow guy is, is where the property starts.

IMG_0931.png

Edited by 607 HUNTER

If you like snow you're in the right area. They get blasted from early December thru march usually. Great snowmobiling country up there but be aware they can get 5' of snow OVERNIGHT. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal on the land, how many acres is it total?

That is so wild, I have never been around that much snow at once. We would definitely be investing in sleds in 2017, if we purchase the property.

The property will be around 100 acres. He is still thinking of how much he wants to sell, as this is his retirement. Thats why I really want to make sure I am not short changing him, and I feel at 400 an acre he is really cutting him self short. I think it should be at least double what he offered it to me for, he knows a friend of mine. So I want to make sure he is getting enough and not to nice of a friendly deal. 

As I want to make sure this area will be sufficient to my needs, I like shooting 3 1/2 or older. 

Myself i would run away. The deer take such a hit up in that area and when early winter comes what deer are in that area leave and that could be early in the hunting season. $400 an acre is prob about right for land to ride sleds on or Ski.  All depends what a guy wants but if i were you i would by less land in a much better area for the money you are willing to spend.

10 acres in a great area compared to 100 acres in the snowiest and i think the worse rated place in Ny to live? Good Luck whichever way you go!

21 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Myself i would run away. The deer take such a hit up in that area and when early winter comes what deer are in that area leave and that could be early in the hunting season. $400 an acre is prob about right for land to ride sleds on or Ski.  All depends what a guy wants but if i were you i would by less land in a much better area for the money you are willing to spend.

10 acres in a great area compared to 100 acres in the snowiest and i think the worse rated place in Ny to live? Good Luck whichever way you go!

It isn't bad as they have the means of removing the snow but some things I would look into is if there is electric on the road out to the property if not then that could be an issue and will impact the price of the land. If there isn't already a cabin you will be looking at some serious cash to get a legal septic system (around 6k for a new system if it isn't a raised bed then you're looking at 10k) another thing is wildlife they have deer but they are fewer and far between, meaning it will be more of a cabin retreat than a hunting camp.

29 minutes ago, 607 HUNTER said:

That is so wild, I have never been around that much snow at once. We would definitely be investing in sleds in 2017, if we purchase the property.

The property will be around 100 acres. He is still thinking of how much he wants to sell, as this is his retirement. Thats why I really want to make sure I am not short changing him, and I feel at 400 an acre he is really cutting him self short. I think it should be at least double what he offered it to me for, he knows a friend of mine. So I want to make sure he is getting enough and not to nice of a friendly deal. 

As I want to make sure this area will be sufficient to my needs, I like shooting 3 1/2 or older. 

Believe it or not the deer usually do pretty good up they are used to the weather and use the snowmobile trails for travel usually. I have come up on deer on the trail in the evening and at night while riding around the Redfield area. There are older deer in the area but less of them, there is good hunting around that region just need to find it.

I personally have never hunted the area, but I know a few people that hunt around Parish. They see deer and shoot some every year. Not the deer densities of other places around the state but they are there. I would say the densities are about the same as the southern tier. $400/acre seems right for the area. Look into the tax maps and see what the land is worth as a whole, that should give you an idea of what you should pay per an acre.

I do not know the area but need to say ....God Bless you for, in such a situation ,looking out for an older seller. You just do not see that often. As far as the land goes check local prices on lands sold, check tax records on appraisals and what surrounding lands have sold for in the last couple of years. As far as usage,check the DEC web site on deer density and deer takes.  Just consider all the things you are looking for from a piece of property. What may change in the future ,as to surrounding usage and even weather patterns. Has snow fall amounts lessened in the past few years? That's an easy check. Again, kudo' s for being a good guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

LOL Very valid points Four Seasons, im sure its no Letchworth up there. Thanks for the opinion !

47 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Thanks for the info Chas, that is good to know and makes sense that they hang around on the snow mobile trails.

I was up there last weekend, I was shocked to see electric poles all the way back there, but there is  ! I currently hunt in the Souther tier, so am familiar with tough hunting. Do your friends ever see Bear in Parish ? 

13 minutes ago, 607 HUNTER said:

Not usually, bear are further towards the old forge area. I figured the 607 in your name referred to that area, it is much flatter up there than the southern tier but a lot more snow during the winter. I think majority of the time they have snow for the last couple weeks of hunting season but it is usually gone pretty quick. If you get a chance get up there and walk the land look for any and all deer sign that should give you an idea of how many are running around the area. Scouting in the snow is easiest as you can tell how fresh the tracks are and where they hang out.

30 minutes ago, 607 HUNTER said:

LOL Very valid points Four Seasons, im sure its no Letchworth up there. Thanks for the opinion !

Buddy has a camp up in that neck of the woods but he bought it as a retreat and winter fun. He is not a big time hunter but he says they are few and far between. Might be what some are looking for and thats great but by your post and what your wishes are as far as animals i am not so sure about there?

I have always wanted my own slice of Paradise Steve , it sure gets annoying having people sit within my shooting distance every year on the state land I currently hunt. 

Also I really would like a large piece of land to practice QDM, plant food plots, tap maple trees, maybe even have an enclosed shelter to stay dry and warm lol 

Any one ever boat or fish at the Redfield Reservoir out there ?

My wife is from Redfield and I have been up there many times, the winters are brutal and the snow gets deep and there is no way in Hell I would ever live there. Now that being said as a recreational area especially for snowmobiling it would be tough to beat. Personally I have never deer hunted in that country but the deer hunting is not bad, the good hunters always seem to fill their tags up there. The small game hunting is real good until the deep snows arrive and if you have a good Beagle the Hare hunting is good all winter long just get yourself a good pair of snow shoes. The fishing is great, summer,fall and spring, the Salmon river is virtually in your backyard known by all for it's steelhead and salmon and the reservoir has real good bass fishing.

Al

• Like 1

Have hunted this area... like everyone says lots of snow..  a few years the winter just hammers the deer population way down large winter kills... but 400.00 an acre is a real steal anywhere in NY i looked for years before buying land and that price is real good.. also if you like salmon trout fishing and snowmobiles i think the hunting would become second because those two things are great up there..so if you can deal with not seeing many of deer at times  and possibly getting feet upon feet of snow go for it. It's not on you if the guy sells it cheaper then he should

Looks like a decent piece on Google earth. One thing I can say is you need to be prepared!!! Friend of mine and I camped in Barnes Corners about 25 miles north grouse hunting in October one year. Went to bed and it was like 38 degrees. Woke up the next morning and there was three feet off snow on the ground. Didn't have a clue it was coming and it wasn't in the forecast.

$ 400 an acre is a good price anywhere providing it is huntable and you are prepared to deal with the elements.

Check out this link: http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/02/meanwhile_in_redfield_ny_it_snowed_6_feet_since_wednesday.html   it isn't like hunting the southern tier.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Tell old man river it's a challenging economic environment and you'll give him $350/acre. I bet he takes it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL I can't do that to him Biz, I think I am going to offer him 600 or 800 an acre yet I am not sure.

I am walking it Saturday to access it and try to value the property as best I can with a foot of snow. Hey this may be the future ground of a Hunting NY get together, people bring the saws and equipment - I can't imagine a food plot right in the middle of this property. I can't see any agricultural any where in the area from Google Earth

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about being "fair " to the seller. You are off a main road, no power, no marketable lumber. Land gets drastically cheaper the more you buy, and chances are he knows exactly what the land is worth, and is thinking he is getting you for a good price, Do you have legal (Deeded ) rights on the access road? Myself, a thousand dollars a year for plowing/maintenance  is unthinkable! Try to talk with the neighboring property owners as to the land use, and how the road is maintained. . I have a camp just north of there...the deer do migrate to easier areas (agricultural areas, sheltered  regions,etc) but thetre are allways local deer that hang around, usually in the border areas, near roads, etc. where the going is easier.

• Like 1

I have a camp in northern part of Redfield. Here is what i have found after being there 7 yrs.The snow is brutal, usually not to after Thanksgiving.When deep snow comes, the deer leave where I hunt.There are deer there but you really have to work for them. I have gone 3-4 days without seeing any.Bear are almost non existing. To shoot a 3 and 1/2 yr old .You will go a long time without a deer.We have got 9 buck since we started hunting it.(3guys),but only 2 would be that old.If you like to snowmobile, you are in the best area you can be.Buy the land and enjoy all the other things that go with it.Salmon river fishing,etc.We love our camp and I could. not be happier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I wouldn't worry too much about being "fair " to the seller. You are off a main road, no power, no marketable lumber. Land gets drastically cheaper the more you buy, and chances are he knows exactly what the land is worth, and is thinking he is getting you for a good price, Do you have legal (Deeded ) rights on the access road? Myself, a thousand dollars a year for plowing/maintenance  is unthinkable! Try to talk with the neighboring property owners as to the land use, and how the road is maintained. . I have a camp just north of there...the deer do migrate to easier areas (agricultural areas, sheltered  regions,etc) but thetre are allways local deer that hang around, usually in the border areas, near roads, etc. where the going is easier.

I was wondering that myself, he did sub divide 4 lots he has by the main road. So I assumed he knew the value of his own property, thats a big reason why I started this thread.  

I agree with the 1,000 plow bill being hefty, but as much snow as they get up there and the property for sale being the very last property on the road I think 1,000 will be well worth it to be able to access and not get buried over night. Thanks for the input

6 hours ago, Daveboone said:

IF going up this Saturday bring snowshoes....getting into the woods will be a lot more snow than what it appears. It may be hard frozen crust, but if not, you wont be going far.

You got that right, I am so excited to walk the land. Definitely not looking forward to the high of 12 degree tempature  though, I don't have any snowshoes either. Hopefully it is frozen , but we'll see.