New bow on order

maytom

S&S Archery Pro Shop out in Springville, NY had a one day sale Saturday from 9am till 5pm. Most bow companies were there and you got to try several bows at their range.

Being a Mathew's owner for many years now, I wanted to try out their new bow for 2017, the Halon, specifically. Long story short, I loved the bow and put a deposit down

and it will be delivered in about 2 1/2 weeks. This bow comes in a 5", 6" or a 7" brace height. I elected to get the 6" version. They also make the Halon in a 30" or a 32"ATA, but decided on the 32" instead. Now along with the new bow, a new rest, arrows, site and quiver, this will surely cost me a shiny nickel or two!!! Was seriously thinking about up-grading after 12 years with my Mathews Switchback model, so it was time. And besides they offered $100.00 off!!! All excited about this coming season now!!!

• Like 9

Way to go maytom!!!!  Everything I've heard about that bow has been glowing. My buddy shot one and raved about it. My current bow is a 17 year old MQ-32. When I finally upgrade,  the Halon will be my choice. Good luck with your new bow. No doubt,  it will bring you years of smiles!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, maytom said:

Last bow was 60-70lbs. This one I dropped down in weight to a 50-60lb.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/2017-mathews-halon-32-7-compound-bow.html when looking at the specs it says 40, 50, 60, or 70. so when you say 50-60 does that mean you bought the 50 or the 60?

also, did you get 75 or 85% let-off?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/2017-mathews-halon-32-7-compound-bow.html when looking at the specs it says 40, 50, 60, or 70. so when you say 50-60 does that mean you bought the 50 or the 60?

also, did you get 75 or 85% let-off?

They are usually advertised maxed out meaning 60lb limbs are 50-60.  And you will probably prefer more let off Biz, most do unless they come from a single string background where holding heavier weight is the norm.

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

They are usually advertised maxed out meaning 60lb limbs are 50-60.  And you will probably prefer more let off Biz, most do unless they come from a single string background where holding heavier weight is the norm.

Yea, definitely high let-off makes sense. just wasn't sure if the 85% is available in all weights. So say they limbs are 50-60, can you manually change the weight or only a shop or someone wit bow press can? and is there any substantial benefit in pulling say 52lbs to 50?

28 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, definitely high let-off makes sense. just wasn't sure if the 85% is available in all weights. So say they limbs are 50-60, can you manually change the weight or only a shop or someone wit bow press can? and is there any substantial benefit in pulling say 52lbs to 50?

Just tighten the screw that holds the limb to the bow. 1 turn per a side do the top then the bottom in equal amounts until you get the desired poundage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Easy to change weight as Chas described.  Most will argue that a bow is most efficient at its highest weight. That means a 60lb bow maxed out will shoot the same arrow faster that a 70lb bow set at 60.  My chrono didn't necessarily agree with that theory on all bows but regardless it's best to have a lighter bow that you shoot well than a heavy bow that is difficult for you. 50-60 is plenty and gives you the option to increase weight from 50 up as you get your form down.  IMO.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Just tighten the screw that holds the limb to the bow. 1 turn per a side do the top then the bottom in equal amounts until you get the desired poundage.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Easy to change weight as Chas described.  Most will argue that a bow is most efficient at its highest weight. That means a 60lb bow maxed out will shoot the same arrow faster that a 70lb bow set at 60.  My chrono didn't necessarily agree with that theory on all bows but regardless it's best to have a lighter bow that you shoot well than a heavy bow that is difficult for you. 50-60 is plenty and gives you the option to increase weight from 50 up as you get your form down.  IMO.  

Thank you both.

Picked my Halon 6 up yesterday in the 30" model, 60# with a QAD HDX drop away. Will be mounting a new single pin TruGlo and Anchor Sight shortly.   Can't wait to fling some arrows.

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

Picked my Halon 6 up yesterday in the 30" model, 60# with a QAD HDX drop away. Will be mounting a new single pin TruGlo and Anchor Sight shortly.   Can't wait to fling some arrows.

Is that size more ideal for a ground blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Is that size more ideal for a ground blind?

If you're hunting from a ground blind you would want something with a shorter axle to axle. Axle to axle refers to the distance between the cam centers. There are advantages to shorter axle to axle like fitting better in confined spaces but that comes at a price of shot forgiveness. There are 2 things that really impact how "forgiving" a bow is. One is the axle to axle the other is the brace height. If a bow is more forgiving it means if your form isn't perfect or at the last millisecond you tweak your arm the bow will still shoot reasonable well (not far from the spot you aimed). I have 2 Bowtech Tributes one was bought in 2007 1 year old that I retired to my wife and the other was bought in 2012. I have yet to find a bow that shoots as nice. It is plenty accurate out to 60 yards and having 50-60 limbs I can back it all the way down for my wife and I shoot it maxed out at 62lbs. I'm not sure if a bow will shoot faster maxed out but they say they are more accurate maxed out almost like making the the bow 1 piece.

• Like 2

Only reason I chose the 32" was it would be a little less arrow pinch due to the lesser angle at full draw. Also my last bow was the same size, so I am familiar with that length. Yes, the bow weight of 60# would be 50-60 range. At 62 years old decided to drop down a few pounds in bow drawing weight. Going from 67-68lbs. down to 60lbs. Will be a little easier to draw back smoothly.

• Like 4

I laugh when people mention draw weight. Who needs a. 70# bow...?? Look at the speeds of 50 and 60# bows. Look at KE.... Seems it's a "tough guy" thing. My skinny a$$ is fine @60# !! I believe Ted Nugent is always mentioning his Mathews is at 45# and he kills everything. Don't feel like your losing anything when shedding #'s

• Like 1

I laugh when people mention draw weight. Who needs a. 70# bow...?? Look at the speeds of 50 and 60# bows. Look at KE.... Seems it's a "tough guy" thing. My skinny a$$ is fine @60# !! I believe Ted Nugent is always mentioning his Mathews is at 45# and he kills everything. Don't feel like your losing anything when shedding #'s

What about hunting out west or Canada for 50-80yd shots. Does the extra weight help keep the arrow flatter for longer?

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

No really a tough guy thing at all at least for me. Like I ways saying before I crank mine down to 63 but as I shoot throughout the year my strength builds. #70 feels like #60 if you love to shoot and do it frequently