Turkey vulture is back.

reeltime

Doc is right. They have dramatically expanded their range. Other species that have just as obviously expanded in NYS are mourning dove, red-bellied woodpecker, tufted titmouse, cardinal and merlin. The species that has expanded its range the most in recent decades is common raven.

You can see these changes graphically on breeding bird atlas maps that show data gathered during 2 periods 20 years apart. I tried to get the change map link for vultures but I'm getting error messages from DECs site this morning. If you can get to it, search for turkey vulture at this link. I have the hard copy in front of me. It's quite interesting.  

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/51030.html

• Like 2

Well, they may not be pretty, but they do handle a line of work that needs to be done. And by the way, those wretched looking critters are really super strong. I had a deer vertebrae and rib-cage laying in my driveway, And I saw one of those buzzards actually lift the thing off the ground about 4 feet into the air before he had to drop it.

Now here is the big question: If they were to be proven to be a delicacy to eat, would you cook one up and eat it, given their smelly dining habits?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, Doc said:

Well, they may not be pretty, but they do handle a line of work that needs to be done. And by the way, those wretched looking critters are really super strong. I had a deer vertebrae and rib-cage laying in my driveway, And I saw one of those buzzards actually lift the thing off the ground about 4 feet into the air before he had to drop it.

Now here is the big question: If they were to be proven to be a delicacy to eat, would you cook one up and eat it, given their smelly dining habits?

If you ever picked up one and smelled it, there is no way that most people would ever eat one...They smell JUST like the stuff that they eat....Don't ask me how I know that...