New NYODN....

growalot

What I haven't noticed...The big push on let them grow that was said to happen by the DEC...I they aren't doing this heavy in such papers where? They do seem to have a push on the bear this year though...big article on them...BTW where is the early bears season in the southern zone in Sept. 9th - the 24th

10 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Let Young Bucks GoI saw a big giant display at the Field and Stream last week when I stopped in, couldn't miss it. It had pics of different age classes of bucks and stuff like this ----->

If the DEC came up with a window decal, I'd paste one on my truck for promotion. 

Just dropping a hint if'n they're reading this.........

:)

• Like 3

I'm glad DEC is staying with this and know owning the the education side to an extent of their voluntary concept.  It was going to make or break relationships with other orgs if they did or didn't.  I take the "what hunters value" data like a fart in the wind, because DEC admitted the monkeyed with weighting things to get the outcome they wanted.  That said DEC is doing much better.  I'm happy they're being involved in the education process versus their old adage of "don't worry about whatever or anything. we've got it all handled. here's some tags."  Seems to be opening the door to great things in the future.  It's no longer DEC and everyone else.  It's everyone for a collective effort now to have better deer hunting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveB said:

What do they define as "Young Bucks" that are 2 be passed on?

i think they're leaving it open to interpretation.  however, based on what they've put out there they're assuming harvest of age classes over 3.5 yrs old isn't nearly likely or relevant enough to bring up.  so i'd say yearlings and in some cases 2.5 years olds are what they'd expect to be the threshold of peoples will power to let a buck go.

7 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Possibly but still a guess open to interpretation. Some think a 10 point is old enough even though it might only be 1.5 or 2.5.

Do they mean wait for mature deer? If so, what is mature.

based on conversations i've had, those i've talked to, seem to define it as 4.5 - 6.5+ yrs old based on biological concepts.  they haven't put much out there for buck info in regards to those age classes though, so i don't believe they think hunters in general are willing to wait that long.

26 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Possibly but still a guess open to interpretation. Some think a 10 point is old enough even though it might only be 1.5 or 2.5.

Do they mean wait for mature deer? If so, what is mature.

If we let the 1.5's walk that would dramatically change the landscape. I haven't heard any conversations where the program was discussed to actively push for letting 2.5's walk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If we let the 1.5's walk that would dramatically change the landscape. I haven't heard any conversations where the program was discussed to actively push for letting 2.5's walk.

But no matter how plain and simple they (Dec) make the info some folks will still have a complaint or argument about it. 

It looks like the same educational info they have been putting out, apparently no one looks at their websites or guides anymore. It just goes to show that no matter how much the Dec does if it ain't right in front of some ones face it doesn't exist. 

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

But no matter how plain and simple they (Dec) make the info some folks will still have a complaint or argument about it. 

It looks like the same educational info they have been putting out, apparently no one looks at their websites or guides anymore. It just goes to show that no matter how much the Dec does if it ain't right in front of some ones face it doesn't exist. 

i use to really like it when the regulations guide was printed only. I looked forward to reading it cover to cover  each year after I got my license. I also preferred the small fishing regulations book that fit in the pocket of my fishing vest.  The last two years I had to read it online becasue I couldn't find a printed copy anywhere. 

• Like 1