7mm-08 Ammo

MPHunter

Shot my 7-08 yesterday with 140gr ammo and my dad's 308 with 150 grain ammo and I can say the 7-08 was a joy to shoot compared to 308. From what I have read, the 7-08 performs similar to 308 due to greater ballistic coefficient with less recoil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

7'm-08, the best deer cartridge ever designed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was "designed" as a wildcat cartridge for silhouette shooting.

High ballistic coefficient for better downrange energy. 

But yes, it is an excellent deer cartridge.

• Like 1

It was "designed" as a wildcat cartridge for silhouette shooting.
High ballistic coefficient for better downrange energy. 
But yes, it is an excellent deer cartridge.

Most all cartridges were "designed" for one thing or another and then found their place killing critters, what's the point?

You guys take the 7mm-08 over a 25-06 or .270? Really considering one for my wife so we can give my oldest the .243 for his first rifle.

You're splitting hairs, the ballistic advantages between the two and the 7mm08 is something most Ny hunters will never need/utilize. The -08 will have a little less recoil especially in a lightweight, small frame "women's" rifle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You guys take the 7mm-08 over a 25-06 or .270? Really considering one for my wife so we can give my oldest the .243 for his first rifle. I'm looking at the Tikka T3 compact 40" overall length with 20" barrel.

IMO if you line up the 3 that you listed, the other two are based on the -06 case. In our hunting ranges I can't see the burning of additional powder or additional recoil for any addition of terminal ballistics.  I would go with the -08. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You're splitting hairs, the ballistic advantages between the two and the 7mm08 is something most Ny hunters will never need/utilize. The -08 will have a little less recoil especially in a lightweight, small frame "women's" rifle.

The .270 is a bit much for recoil for my wife a "little uncomfortable" as she put it. I don't want to get her a gun she doesn't like to shoot because it hurts. She will be flinching every time she shoots and that's no good. 

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

IMO if you line up the 3 that you listed, the other two are based on the -06 case. In our hunting ranges I can't see the burning of additional powder or additional recoil for any addition of terminal ballistics.  I would go with the -08. 

So recoil wise I know the .270 is highest but compared to the 25-06 is it basically a wash? I know the 7mm-08 is a larger bullet .284" vs .250", my wife isn't a wuss by any means but I don't want her to flinch because she is scared of the recoil. FWIW she used to shoot the old 20ga. 1187 slug gun and didn't really complain.

So recoil wise I know the .270 is highest but compared to the 25-06 is it basically a wash? I know the 7mm-08 is a larger bullet .284" vs .250", my wife isn't a wuss by any means but I don't want her to flinch because she is scared of the recoil. FWIW she used to shoot the old 20ga. 1187 slug gun and didn't really complain.

Is she big enough to shoot a full size gun or does she have to shoot a youth/woman's rifle? If so it will be difficult to find a compact chambered in 270-25-06.

I have a 270 and a 25-06 in the same rifle and I don't see any noticeable difference in recoil between the two but I feel they both have more recoil than a 7mm-08. If she shoots a 243 now there is very little difference in recoil between that and the -08.

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

The 7mm-08 and the 25-06 will be very similar in felt recoil. Both very light on the shoulder, with 'dead right there' results on whitetails. 

Father in law has a 7mm-08 I think I'll have to get him down here so I can shoot her neither of us have a 25-06. Would be nice to have similar guns so if we need to swap ammo or be able to reload a little for him. Thanks for making up my mind guys.

14 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

The .270 is a bit much for recoil for my wife a "little uncomfortable" as she put it. I don't want to get her a gun she doesn't like to shoot because it hurts. She will be flinching every time she shoots and that's no good. 

I would check on the availability of weights and bullets in the factory rounds (if you don't reload). I would bet it would be about a was on felt recoil in identically set up guns. If she is recoil sensitive you may want to really pay more attention to the platform you are putting her in. toss any of those rounds in a light frame and ill fitting gun and she will feel more recoil. If she doesn't want as much recoil I might suggest a semi-auto. They are lighter shooting

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Is she big enough to shoot a full size gun or does she have to shoot a youth/woman's rifle? If so it will be difficult to find a compact chambered in 270-25-06.

Her current .243 and her 20ga. are standard length stock and has no issues. She likes the longer stock so isn't right on top of the scope. 

@Culvercreek hunt club I wasn't thinking about the lighter rifle. Obviously I don't want a benchrest rifle but also don't want something super light. I was thinking around 6.5lbs. would be about perfect. The Tikka T3 with the stainless barrel is getting my attention right now.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

What grain are you shooting out of the 243 right now?

95gr. Hornady sst reloaded a little on the hotter side. I took it up to overpressure signs then backed it off until they were gone. Haven't been able to chrono but should be around 3200fps.

Edited by chas0218

• 3 weeks later...

I reload for mine and my fathers 7-08’s . I’ve got dad shooting the lighter recoiling 120 Barnes ttsx and I am shooting the 140’s out of mine. If you don’t reload I believe federal is loading the Barnes 140’s over the counter. I’ve been using Barnes bullets in most of my guns for a long time. Accuracy, penetration and terminal performance have always been awesome. I am also not seeing nearly the amount of bloodshot meat as with a lead cored bullet. I have traveled quite a bit over the past 30 years from AK , 5 provinces in CA, and 7 states out west and have taken everything from moose to mountain goat and deer with a 140 tsx out of a 7-08. If I was just going to hunt deer I would load the 120 gr.

• Like 2

When you use conventional jacketed lead 140 grain bullets in the 7mm08 and switch to Barnes copper bullets, you do well to go with the 120 grain Barnes bullets.  They will be the same LENGTH as the 140 grain conventional bullets.  This means they should perform the same in the accuracy department.

But you also take advantage of lighter recoil, with higher velocity, better penetration and no fear of lead particles in the venison.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the 140 grain Barnes bullet in the 7mm08 unless I was after large game like Elk or Moose.  It's offers less velocity than the 120 Barnes, so doesn't shoot as flat, but does have more in the penetration department and retains more energy at a distance.  The twist rate in the barrel would also need to be fast enough to stabilize the longer bullet, if accuracy is to be acceptable.

Daughter didn't shoot anything yet , our schedules don't line up well this year . 

But I took this deer and coyote within 5 minutes of each other , deer basically dropped where I shot it , as did coyote who thought  he got himself lunch .

120 Fusions .

image.jpeg

image.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...