Muzzle loader blow up

sbuff

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

I don't believe the new Remington muzzloader is safe for 200gr of BH209 as its designed for pellets,may I ask where that was found ? Perhaps I'm wrong.

Let's all just be safe as the late season ML is approaching.

Yeah thats not right. I weigh out 80 grains thats just under 120 by volume ( 120 grains Volume BH209 2050 fps (84 grains weight)

I get just about the same velocities with a 250 grain barns and 80 grains gets me 2125 fps.

The gun is a bunch of hype in my eyes. but i do like the bolt action and the way it uses brass for primers. Nifty storage for primers where you would loud your semi auto rifles just in front of the trigger .

9 pounds i dont think so.

You are correct, you can only load 150 grains by volume of BH in the ultimate (that is from BH). 

I got sick of the cleaning a long time ago, that's why I went with building smokeless.  Now I shoot H4198 powder and size my bullets for the barrel without the use of sabots.  It is extremely accurate, with much less headaches.

On 9/23/2017 at 12:35 PM, thphtm said:

A fellow I worked with blew 3 of his fingers off  on his right hand with a shotgun years ago .

I always run a cleaning rod down the bbl. on all of my firearms before shooting after that happened.

Was that fellow from Newark? Or is there 2 guys with the same affliction?

Thankfully I bought the rod that folds at the end. By the time I seat a 3pellet/sabot load it's almost buried.

Know a guy who hand loaded 44mag for his new s&w. First shot and the pistol blew up into 3 big parts. No injury's thankfully. These are serious weapons we carry, gotta stay ahead of accidents as best we can.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

You are correct, you can only load 150 grains by volume of BH in the ultimate (that is from BH). 

I got sick of the cleaning a long time ago, that's why I went with building smokeless.  Now I shoot H4198 powder and size my bullets for the barrel without the use of sabots.  It is extremely accurate, with much less headaches.

If you don't mind telling what type of smokeless guns do you build

Most of them are based off of the older Remington 700 ML actions, with either BRUX or Pacnor barrels.  I have also done them based on Savage centerfire actions as well as Remington 700 centerfire actions.  The Remington Ultimate is also a great platform to start from, all be it a little pricey to start from.

8 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

I tried the hornady FPB  without sabot. had really bad luck with them. I still have a few i could still try them with some different charges.

Most of the smokeless builds are 45 caliber.  If you choose to run sabotless (which is best) you have two options, either smooth forming using .451" diameter bullets, or full forming (which cuts rifling into the bullet) using 0.458" diameter bullets.  Both work well, although smooth forming is a bit easier for the beginner or the average hunter.

modern firearm are suppose to be designed to bulge when you use a hot load by mistake

Not blow up unless the guy did not notice the bulge in his fire arm and tried to use it again .

Well at least that is what the 

Industry says 

Thats why it is   a Good idea,to inspect you guns  barrel after using it . 

Edited by Storm914

How come at hunter safety I was told that if a single medium size snowflake finds its way into my barrel the gun would blow up and kill my entire family, but now I can put a balloon or electrical tape over the muzzle with no worries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Snow has flammable quality's, balloons do not

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How come at hunter safety I was told that if a single medium size snowflake finds its way into my barrel the gun would blow up and kill my entire family, but now I can put a balloon or electrical tape over the muzzle with no worries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

2017-12-02-23-17-09-.jpg

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1