What do you guys think

What do you guys think on shooting fox? i saw 2 a couple days ago. I told my dad come fox season im gonna get em. and he said he dosnt want me too because he likes seeing them. Personally i wouldnt mind seeing them but i would also like to take em out for population control and take some coyotes too. I enjoy my small game hunting and rabbit hunting and seems the more of yotes and fox i see the less small game. What do you guyys feel about shooting fox?

I'm not opposed, and maybe it's a senior citizen thing, but at this time of my life I agree with your father and like to see them. 

I  still spend a lot of time calling them ,and have hand called in quite a few reds this year. I just take some pictures.I figure it's kinda like catch and release fishing.. When they come in close I stand up, and off they go,that's good enough for me...The thrill is in the hunt.

I call in places where there is no shooting, because even though I don't shoot them I don't want to educate them and ruin it for guys that hunt'em, because like I said I am not opposed to it. The fox are still very alert and sppoked by people even though no one shoots at them, so I find it challenging.

Sometimes they come in real fast to the calls so I do carry a long stick. A few times they got real close and  at times I didn't know they were almost right next to me, so I don't want to get bitten and figure (I hope) the stick could push them back if need be.

I do "think" that with reduced trapping and hunting that overpopulations contribute  to  diseases spreading in predators, so I believe control is necessary.

Either trap or shoot them during season! If you don't know how to skin properly ask a local taxidermist,trapper. Stretching and drying the fur for sale can be a pain but you might fiind a local fur buyer or trapper that will give you a few dollars less for the raw fur. When i was a lot younger i would trap from nov1 to day before gun season and would make almost 2000$ in a month not bad for a 16 year old! bought my first car from my trapping money! course prices are lower than then but you can still make a decent buck and have a lot of fun doing it! As for liking to see them you can never get them all and others move in!

• 3 weeks later...

Sure, I like to see them too. I think they're kind of neat. However that doesn't mean that just like any other critter, they don't benefit from a bit of thinning. I doubt you will ever put much of a dent in the population, so you can hunt them and still see them in the wild. It's kind of like the little old lady that hates deer hunters because she likes to see them. Well, we have plenty of hunting and still have plenty of deer.

However, what I don't really like to see is just shooting them like rats and leaving them lay in the woods. That fur is just too nice to throw away, plus it's worth a bit of money. I know it happens, but it really seems like such a waste of a resource.

Sure, I like to see them too. I think they're kind of neat. However that doesn't mean that just like any other critter, they don't benefit from a bit of thinning. I doubt you will ever put much of a dent in the population, so you can hunt them and still see them in the wild. It's kind of like the little old lady that hates deer hunters because she likes to see them. Well, we have plenty of hunting and still have plenty of deer.

However, what I don't really like to see is just shooting them like rats and leaving them lay in the woods. That fur is just too nice to throw away, plus it's worth a bit of money. I know it happens, but it really seems like such a waste of a resource.

hey Doc, PM me yer address and i will stuff the skin of every varmint i shoot in a plastic bag and mail it to you, better yet if you pay the shipping i will send you the whole critter, LOL, ???

Mr B says the same thing...I've shot ones that have been seriously ill ...furless and stumbling around the property.......calling for a shovel and gallon of bleach....but they kill voles and anything that kills voles I have a hard time wanting to kill....voles tear up my maples in the winter and devour my summer gardens....

But that being said...the food plotting has brought in pheasant...infact Mr.B. kicked out one nice male yesterday in our hedge row when he came home...and we are seeing fewer grouse...so I suppose if I were to put the effort into hunting fox...I'd best be hunting egg stealing raccoons as well ;)