Fastest compound bows

Jmny

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

Ok so maybe it's not that much shorter, but it's also not as long at a vert. Point is, I find the awkward/clumsy argument to be invalid when compared to a compound. Just a few days ago I had deer on all sides. It's a tight stand in a notch and trying to maneuver with a nocked arrow from one side to another isn't cake. 

as far as movement, you're right and I'm the same way... most of the time. There are those times when I'm caught off guard sitting down and look behind or to one side to unexpectedly see a deer standing there. When I gun hunt I hold my rifle, so my movement is just turn, raise, squeeze. With archery, it's usually hanging. So if I'm sitting, it's stand, grab, turn, draw. It is hopefully rare I'm caught off guard, but it's valid sometimes for most hunters. 

I agree, there are times Im caught off guard too. My crossbow is pretty clumsy for me right now, but part of that is because Im getting used to it. Ill see how it is after I hunt with it and use it more.

If we are discussing legal hunting instruments it matters.  Your response makes me question further discussion.  If you want to illustrate a point to enhance your beliefs. Truthful facts count.  That particular crossbow is easier to maneuver in a tree stand.  But we’re talking about advantages and disadvantages of the compound vs crossbow and you present an illegal crossbow to make your point !!!!  Yes it matters.  Your desire to be a better hunter than those that use a crossbow is so strong, that you are using a  non hunting instrument (NYS).  As a crossbow hunter I’m willing to say your much more macho than I.  My purpose for Hunting is limited to enjoying the peace and quite outside in nature, observing many different types of wildlife and taking a deer or two to fill the freezer with Venison. I have nothing to rove to anyone.  I don’t care what other hunters use as long as it’s a legal instrument.    

16 minutes ago, Jmny said:

If we are discussing legal hunting instruments it matters.  Your response makes me question further discussion.  If you want to illustrate a point to enhance your beliefs. Truthful facts count.  That particular crossbow is easier to maneuver in a tree stand.  But we’re talking about advantages and disadvantages of the compound vs crossbow and you present an illegal crossbow to make your point !!!!  Yes it matters.  Your desire to be a better hunter than those that use a crossbow is so strong, that you are using a  non hunting instrument (NYS).  As a crossbow hunter I’m willing to say your much more macho than I.  My purpose for Hunting is limited to enjoying the peace and quite outside in nature, observing many different types of wildlife and taking a deer or two to fill the freezer with Venison. I have nothing to rove to anyone.  I don’t care what other hunters use as long as it’s a legal instrument.    

First off pal, I didnt present anything, I was discussing a crossbow that someone else brought up.

Second, the legality of a crossbow in NY was never specified in the original post, so we are discussing crossbows vs verticals in general.

Calm your tits

haha that's true but funny. I know what doc was getting at. 
I'd be fine with full inclusion if this was the cap lol
906.jpg&key=98a30c3e1925bd9711671f711211b389e8726e542cde6fa96b82742495f15aef

I think with the current draw weight and minimum width laws in NY XBOWS have already hit their speed walls just as compounds have. Sure they might become lighter and quieter and easier to shoot but as far as performance I don't see how they can gain much. That being said I'm still against full inclusion and like it the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I think with the current draw weight and minimum width laws in NY XBOWS have already hit their speed walls just as compounds have. Sure they might become lighter and quieter and easier to shoot but as far as performance I don't see how they can gain much. That being said I'm still against full inclusion and like it the way it is.

I think with 200 lbs this could do around 470 FPS: http://scorpyd.com/vtec-crossbow/

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That bow has been around for 4 years don't you think if they could crank it that high they would have by now?

But it shows that if you can get 440 @ 165, eventually somebody will create one shooting a good bit faster at the NY limit of 200.

EDIT: turns out scorpyd has hit 450 @ 175:

http://scorpyd.com/aculeus-crossbow/

Edited by Core

Welcome to the forum bro. You have some catching up to do on my stance on crossbows and why I hunt.

We have beaten this one to death for so long it’s not even fun anymore. But to your original point. To think speed is the only factor in this debate is just being silly. That’s all. No need for 2 threads on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

First off pal, I didnt present anything, I was discussing a crossbow that someone else brought up.

Second, the legality of a crossbow in NY was never specified in the original post, so we are discussing crossbows vs verticals in general.

Calm your tits

You choose to present a comment on a prior post, ( offered your opinion)

Concerning  the legality of a crossbow in Ny was never specifield is correct.  It was foolish of me to believe that because I posted in a forum called Hunting NY. Com under Deer Hunting, sub sections Bow Hunting and Crossbow(assume they forgot to include the word “Hunting “after crossbow). That my text would be dealing with deer hunting in Ny with legal weapon of either a bow,  compound or crossbow. For that I apologize.

By the way, I submitted basically the same text on both the bow “hunting “ and crossbow”????”  Sections of the forum in an attempt to get both the responses from those that hunt both weapons and those that hunt only one.  If they hunt only one, what’s  their attitude towards those that choose the other weapon.  To date crossbow hunters have failed to state anything negative about those that choose  a compound  probably because they havr hunted compounds for years.

.  But the different bows in each of the compound and crossbow sections wasn’t presented to empathize speed as a critical  component of hunting but because many of the anti crossbow individuals cite speed and distance ( 100 yards) as their reasoning for their distain of implementing  crossbows for the entire bow season.  The majority of crossbow hunters have used compounds to hunt for many years. Some for longer than the diehard compound hunters have been alive.  

I have no problem with whatever weapon you choose to hunt, however I do have a problem with a compound hunter that actively participated in trying to restrict the use of crossbow for the entire archery season.  Demonstrates an overt action on the part of a hunter to keep other hunters out of the woods.   We now have a new brand of ANTI HUNTERS.  Who would have thought from within our own ranks.  Especially with hunting dwindling in numbers.  Instead of opening different  avenues to either retain our older hunters or interest young individuals to take up hunting. 

Unfortunately, there  is that certain percentage of hunters that equate their hunting prowess  with their  masculinity.  

The irony of the train of thought “that others have to learn the way they did” is that it is having a direct correlation on the time Hunting, for those experienced hunters.

Bottom line, choose the weapon you prefer, but don’t deny others the same choice.  . Sort of reminds of the child that doesn’t get his way, and takes his ball and goes home. (,preventing others From enjoying the game).

11 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

How the hell can you consider crossbows a new starting point? They have been around 7000 years.

It is a brand new platform for modern day technology to begin working on. The fact is that anyone who has been paying attention has already seen improvements that are amazing just within the past few years. A little time on You-tube unmasks some of the prototype activity going on in the development of crossbows. And folks, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh, and in terms of legal restrictions, don't count on them being cast in concrete. Legal restrictions are simply temporary placeholders that any well organized group of marketeers and consumers can change at will, just as it all happened with hunting bows and archery equipment.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jmny said:

.........Bottom line, choose the weapon you prefer, but don’t deny others the same choice.  . Sort of reminds of the child that doesn’t get his way, and takes his ball and goes home. (,preventing others From enjoying the game).

I assume that you are against the whole idea of "special" seasons since the whole concept is truly exclusionary. What makes those seasons "special" is the fact that the weapons eligible for participation exclude some in favor of others.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jmny said:

Concerning  the legality of a crossbow in Ny was never specifield is correct.  It was foolish of me to believe that because I posted in a forum called Hunting NY. Com under Deer Hunting, sub sections Bow Hunting and Crossbow(assume they forgot to include the word “Hunting “after crossbow). That my text would be dealing with deer hunting in Ny with legal weapon of either a bow,  compound or crossbow. For that I apologize.

By the way, I submitted basically the same text on both the bow “hunting “ and crossbow”????”  Sections of the forum in an attempt to get both the responses from those that hunt both weapons and those that hunt only one.  If they hunt only one, what’s  their attitude towards those that choose the other weapon.  To date crossbow hunters have failed to state anything negative about those that choose  a compound  probably because they havr hunted compounds for years.

.  But the different bows in each of the compound and crossbow sections wasn’t presented to empathize speed as a critical  component of hunting but because many of the anti crossbow individuals cite speed and distance ( 100 yards) as their reasoning for their distain of implementing  crossbows for the entire bow season.  The majority of crossbow hunters have used compounds to hunt for many years. Some for longer than the diehard compound hunters have been alive.  

I have no problem with whatever weapon you choose to hunt, however I do have a problem with a compound hunter that actively participated in trying to restrict the use of crossbow for the entire archery season.  Demonstrates an overt action on the part of a hunter to keep other hunters out of the woods.   We now have a new brand of ANTI HUNTERS.  Who would have thought from within our own ranks.  Especially with hunting dwindling in numbers.  Instead of opening different  avenues to either retain our older hunters or interest young individuals to take up hunting. 

Unfortunately, there  is that certain percentage of hunters that equate their hunting prowess  with their  masculinity.  

The irony of the train of thought “that others have to learn the way they did” is that it is having a direct correlation on the time Hunting, for those experienced hunters.

Bottom line, choose the weapon you prefer, but don’t deny others the same choice.  . Sort of reminds of the child that doesn’t get his way, and takes his ball and goes home. (,preventing others From enjoying the game).

I hunt with both and am for full inclusion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Core said:

But it shows that if you can get 440 @ 165, eventually somebody will create one shooting a good bit faster at the NY limit of 200.

EDIT: turns out scorpyd has hit 450 @ 175:

http://scorpyd.com/aculeus-crossbow/

Take those with a grain of salt unless you can see what grain bolt they are getting those ratings with. I know the killer Instincts they use a 400 grain set up. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

It is a brand new platform for modern day technology to begin working on. The fact is that anyone who has been paying attention has already seen improvements that are amazing just within the past few years. A little time on You-tube unmasks some of the prototype activity going on in the development of crossbows. And folks, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh, and in terms of legal restrictions, don't count on them being cast in concrete. Legal restrictions are simply temporary placeholders that any well organized group of marketeers and consumers can change at will, just as it all happened with hunting bows and archery equipment.

They have been developing modern crossbow technology since the 50s. Compound crossbows came along in the 60s. They are not much younger than vertical compound bows. Crossbow hunting regulations are as old as Wyoming’s archery season. Other states started allowing them in the 70s. I wouldn’t say they are anything new. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jmny said:

1. We bring up the "non NY legal crossbows" because the NYCC which is advocating for full inclusion is also advocating for no restrictions. It's very much a part of the conversation.

2. In this very thread i was offended by a crossbow hunter who told me the compound was 100 times easier than a crossbow and then i was offended again when I was told I should use the most efficient weapon at all times to kill deer. How can a pro-crossbow guy tell me to use the most efficient weapon and also then tell me I can choose what I want to hunt with? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Where's my safe space?

3. the 100 yard "speed" comment is brought up, because in order to achieve consistent 100 yard groupings with a compound at 100 yards it takes an extreme amount of practice and skill. Video after video prove that out of the box some crossbows can easily shoot good groupings at 100 yards with little to no practice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

3. the 100 yard "speed" comment is brought up, because in order to achieve consistent 100 yard groupings with a compound at 100 yards it takes an extreme amount of practice and skill. Video after video prove that out of the box some crossbows can easily shoot good groupings at 100 yards with little to no practice.

Sure with a lead sled or other bench rest setup. Do you hunt with setup like that? Even with a rifle? I could put my compound on a hooter shooter and do the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure with a lead sled or other bench rest setup. Do you hunt with setup like that? Even with a rifle? I could put my compound on a hooter shooter and do the same thing. 

you don't need a lead sled. just a simple rest with bipod or prone. Easily done out of some of the tree forts or a redneck blind some guys hunt out of. Heck you may not be good to a 100, but even a shooting rail that a lot of climbers and ladder stands have is going to give you a nice platform to steady the SCOPE.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TenPoint-Steddy-Eddy/745225.uts?slotId=0

or

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/oaksturdy-vital-shot-gun-crossbow-tree-stand-rest?a=1332947

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

you don't need a lead sled. just a simple rest with bipod or prone. Easily done out of some of the tree forts or a redneck blind some guys hunt out of. Heck you may not be good to a 100, but even a shooting rail that a lot of climbers and ladder stands have is going to give you a nice platform to steady the SCOPE.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TenPoint-Steddy-Eddy/745225.uts?slotId=0

or

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/oaksturdy-vital-shot-gun-crossbow-tree-stand-rest?a=1332947

Rested my crossbow is good to 50 with the scope on it. You can’t see enough to hold over at 60. I’d have to zero it at probably 60 or 70 to get 100 out of it. Fine for targets but not so much for hunting. Target shooting is irrelevant as far as hunting goes. 

18 hours ago, Jmny said:

The bow in question, the ravine( picture) isn’t a legal hunting instrument in New York State.

But if they get the full inclusion they are pushing for it will be. Why do you think people keep mentioning? No restrictions means no restrictions on draw weight or axle to axle, ect. Might as well allow the air bow.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

1. We bring up the "non NY legal crossbows" because the NYCC which is advocating for full inclusion is also advocating for no restrictions. It's very much a part of the conversation.

2. In this very thread i was offended by a crossbow hunter who told me the compound was 100 times easier than a crossbow and then i was offended again when I was told I should use the most efficient weapon at all times to kill deer. How can a pro-crossbow guy tell me to use the most efficient weapon and also then tell me I can choose what I want to hunt with? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Where's my safe space?

Ok, nice reference to talking out of bothe sides of my mouth.  Here how I can suggest, both.  I’m limited on this medium of only being able to express my opinion in words.  I have no power to ensure the people that read my words comprehends their meaning.  I asked if as hunters we have a goal of using the most humane methods to insure a quick humane kill and some compound users believe it is easier to kill a deer with a compound wouldn’t it be advisable to hunt with a crossbow?

At no point did I tell anyone what to do.  It was simply a logical question.  As far as stating a hunter can use whatever weapon is legal, is not a contradiction.  I would never try to demean any legal weapon for deer hunting.  That’s the job of the anti hunters and unfortunately some hunters. I recognize the freedom of choice, and would never try to impose my beliefs on another to limit his/her methodor time to pursue his Hunting.

how many of Hunters have 100 yards of open fields available?  Let’s assume you did. How long and how many lost arrows would loose attempting to cite in a 100 yard target.  A you actually believe you can hold a crossbow steady to insure a kill shot on a deer?   Then there’s always the question what happens if the deer enters the fields 30 yards away?  If any hunter wants to verify their thoughts pertaining to  compound / crossbow arrow ballistics I suggest going to Peteward.com then in the left side column down towards the bottom of the page to Ballistic calc( for compounds)  and Best Crossbow Source. Then arrow ballistic calculator.

In closing, if you have a open field of at least 100 yards and you can get the deer to enter the field at 100 yards ( give  or take a couple inches at that distance) you might want to follow the recommendations of those individuals have used crossbows to successfully kill balloons at 100 yards.  Hopefully there is no other weather factors that would affect the arrow flight,  from the time you sighted in the crossbow. I don’t even use a shotgun at that distance.  I would have to have my  Thompson center muzzleloader.

I’m done, I can finally go hunting in 4 Days. Time to square away my equipment.

Is there really anybody who can seriously say that there has not been a marked increase in attention to crossbow R & D in recent years? Come on..... let's be a little honest here. Technology is all consumer inspired and marketing driven. And right now with every other ad being about the latest and greatest crossbow, they are receiving the consumer attention and dollars needed to spur on a new wave of technology with no end in sight. So I don't care if crossbows have been around since man began to eat meat, there is no honest doubt in anyone's mind that there is a modern day new wave of interest in research and development of crossbows. So, I really don't have a clue, nor does anyone else, as to what a crossbow will look like or do in the future. But we are getting a few clues from some of the You-tube innovations on display on the internet. Like I said, they have a whole new platform to invent off of now, and the dollars and consumer interest to propel that technology forward. You ain't seen nothing yet.

• Like 3