Fastest compound bows

Jmny

I was against them..but after seeing my daughter shoot her crossbow and being so excited about goin out with it for the first time this year my mind is changing....every year we lose more kids to crap like Xbox games and whatever else...and the kids are the future...I say whatever is gonna keep people in the sport and keep them interested than so be it.  .At the end of the day we are all hunters no matter what we use... I can shoot my compound way farther than her crossbow...i see no advantages of a crossbow other than not having to hold it back...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, silent death said:

I was against them..but after seeing my daughter shoot her crossbow and being so excited about goin out with it for the first time this year my mind is changing....every year we lose more kids to crap like Xbox games and whatever else...and the kids are the future...I say whatever is gonna keep people in the sport and keep them interested than so be it.  .At the end of the day we are all hunters no matter what we use... I can shoot my compound way farther than her crossbow...i see no advantages of a crossbow other than not having to hold it back...

NY has everything ass backwards for youth if you ask me. They expect them to start out at 12 with the most difficult weapon. Stupidity. You have to learn to walk before you run. Its much easier to get a kid interested in hunting if they are using a weapon that instills confidence. My daughter has been shooting bows for years, she is still super worried about wounding a deer, etc. Im pretty sure thats why she hasnt been more enthusiastic about getting into the woods with her bow. I mean, she can participate in turkey season with a gun at age 12, but not deer season with a gun. It makes zero sense.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wfmiller said:

I understand what you are saying, but with the bows we have now days it's not that big a difference between 30 yards and 40 yards.

Even if I backed off 60 and went down to 50 for a crossbow, that's still a good advantage vs the average max range of 30-35 for the compound.

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know of 3 guys that will be carrying a crossbow tomorrow for the first time. How will your bowhunting experience change becasue of it?  Two of us would have been in the woods anyway, one is new to this time of year. Will even the adjacent landowners next to us notice any difference?

obviously they will be hunting MY deer and that bothers me. Geez, you act like you're new to this. :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

NY has everything ass backwards for youth if you ask me. They expect them to start out at 12 with the most difficult weapon. Stupidity. You have to learn to walk before you run. Its much easier to get a kid interested in hunting if they are using a weapon that instills confidence. My daughter has been shooting bows for years, she is still super worried about wounding a deer, etc. Im pretty sure thats why she hasnt been more enthusiastic about getting into the woods with her bow. I mean, she can participate in turkey season with a gun at age 12, but not deer season with a gun. It makes zero sense.

Having an excited, inexperienced young kid firing at their first deer with a bow is a mess just waiting to happen.  I agree with you 100% that NYS has it all wrong.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Having an excited, inexperienced young kid firing at their first deer with a bow is a mess just waiting to happen.  I agree with you 100% that NYS has it all wrong.

the southern states have no age limit. I can't say i'm very thrilled to see a 6 year old with a rifle on a bipod shooting out of an elevated house at a field of deer, but I like the fact that kids are accompanied by responsible adults and as far as I know there's never been an issue. The right 10 year old with a .240 is perfectly safe and acceptable to me and better than the wrong 24 year old with a 30-06. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

Even if I backed off 60 and went down to 50 for a crossbow, that's still a good advantage vs the average max range of 30-35 for the compound.

A compound doesn't have a max range of 30-35, it's double that at least. Just because you might feel maxed out at that range doesn't mean everybody is. 

38 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

probably next up to bat on QDMA's list is lowering hunting age, not to get into a tangent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

alot of doomsday scenarios is all I see here

It's pretty easy to guess where technology takes us. Some of the things I mentioned in my post are already in place in a consumer grade weapon (the off-hand one, which sounds the hardest, is the one I'm talking about). That cost and availability goes from niche to mass market is a staple of how industry works. When an optics system is built specifically for a platform and intimately knowledge about its ballistics, the sky is the limit.

49 minutes ago, silent death said:

I get this, but she can still use xbow in xbow season (and xbox outside of xbow season heh). I posted a picture last month of my daughter shooting about the third arrow she has ever fired from a crossbow (she's a poor shot with a bow and also too weak to get any reasonable energy out of compound). At 30 yards she was within 1" of bulleye hitting with 100 ft lbs of energy. 

It's a strange argument that some make, at least that they appear to make, that the crossbow isn't that much better (or better at all) than a compound, so people who are against it need not worry. Yet if that was the case those pushing for full inclusion would quickly give up because they are pushing for a weapon that is no better.

I think everyone in this thread knows that in most circumstances a crossbow is a superior implement. Power, accuracy.

3 minutes ago, Core said:

It's pretty easy to guess where technology takes us. Some of the things I mentioned in my post are already in place in a consumer grade weapon (the off-hand one, which sounds the hardest, is the one I'm talking about). That cost and availability goes from niche to mass market is a staple of how industry works. When an optics system is built specifically for a platform and intimately knowledge about its ballistics, the sky is the limit.

That technology is already out there my atn night scope has that I can program 10 different firearms into it and save them... All you gotta do is put in ballistic information and caliber and that's it and it is in Hd..it saves all data from every firearm it will tell you where to hold 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yes, telling a kid who is 12 that they can't shoot a crossbow but they can shoot a compound bow is a very stupid law. How many 12 year old girls can hit a target accurately and with a lot of power with a compound? Would take them an absolute ton of practice because their body is so young compared to an adult picking it up for the first time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Core said:

I get this, but she can still use xbow in xbow season (and xbox outside of xbow season heh). I posted a picture last month of my daughter shooting about the third arrow she has ever fired from a crossbow (she's a poor shot with a bow and also too weak to get any reasonable energy out of compound). At 30 yards she was within 1" of bulleye hitting with 100 ft lbs of energy. 

It's a strange argument that some make, at least that they appear to make, that the crossbow isn't that much better (or better at all) than a compound, so people who are against it need not worry. Yet if that was the case those pushing for full inclusion would quickly give up because they are pushing for a weapon that is no better.

I think everyone in this thread knows that in most circumstances a crossbow is a superior implement. Power, accuracy.

To me a crossbow is not superior...it's all about the hunter and if you practice.. most people say on here they won't shoot past 40 yards at a white tail with a bow ...IAM not scared to say I will I've practiced enough with my bow that I have the confiedance in my shot and my bow .. But I will say unless IAM in a open field edge or a clearing then I will not take the shot unless I know for certain there is no twigs or branches in the way... 

Edited by silent death

17 minutes ago, wfmiller said:

A compound doesn't have a max range of 30-35, it's double that at least. Just because you might feel maxed out at that range doesn't mean everybody is. 

i still don't think you're comprehending what I'm saying. I'm stating what the average and even an above average hunter considers his/her max. Not considering western hunters, olympians and tournament champions. But the 40 hour a week family man who shoots his bow in his backyard. 

5 minutes ago, silent death said:

To me a crossbow is not superior...it's all about the hunter and if you practice.. most people say on here they won't shoot past 40 yards at a white tail with a bow ...IAM not scared to say I will I've practiced enough with my bow that I have the confiedance in my shot and my bow .. But I will say unless IAM in a open field edge or a clearing then I will not take the shot unless I know for certain there is no twigs or branches in the way... 

I still can't really grasp why you say it's not superior. I can quantify the ways in which it is. These are verifiable.

Regardless of your prowess with a compound bow a crossbow is:

1) Massively more powerful
2) Massively more accurate from a rest

If you are an exceptional archer, the crossbow is still:

off-hand could be comparable, but only if you're an exceptional archer.

4 minutes ago, Core said:

I still can't really grasp why you say it's not superior. I can quantify the ways in which it is. These are verifiable.

You forgot massively less movement when readying for a shot.

Been shooting bows since I was 14 started shooting 3d at 15 I have my own 3d range in my back yard out to 75yards ..I can honestly say that the only advantage of a crossbow is that you don't have to hold it back.. my bows ibo speed is 350fps my bow has 75rock mods shooting a 414gr arrow I can tell you this at 40 yards my bow hits harder than my daughters Barnett kryptonite 370...once that short bolt leaves that string it looses ke ...IAM sorry I just don't see the advantages...I can shoot 3 arrows buy the time she has a second one loaded...as far as accuracy if you practice the same amount on both then you should be just as accurate with eathier....to me crossbows are loud to bye far

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Core said:

Yes, but just because technology keeps marching forward, doesnt mean all of the innovations will be legal to use. There are lots of things on the consumer market that are not allowed for hunting. Take drones for instance, alot of people were up in arms saying that drones will be used for hnting, they will make things unfair, yadda yadda yadda. They simply made them illegal to use for hunting. Some states are making cellular trail cameras illegal. I have no problem with making regulations to fit technological advances. Just like I have no issues with the maximum and minimum specs for crossbows in NY.

13 minutes ago, Core said:

More accurate? No. Easier to become accurate? Yes.

This is easily verified by looking at tournament shooter scores for both categories.

While crossbows do tend to have a bit more KE than compounds, the difference is not "massive".

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

More accurate? No. Easier to become accurate? Yes.

This is easily verified by looking at tournament shooter scores for both categories.

While crossbows do tend to have a bit more KE than compounds, the difference is not "massive".

Not only that ...but not all bows are made alike eathier not all crossbows shoot fast eathier and vise versa....if you shoot a compound that only shoots 240fps than yes I could see that argument that crossbows are superior to that lol.. but as far as accuracy it's the shooter not the weapon 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You forgot massively less movement when readying for a shot.

When I draw my bow, there is little movement. Forget hunting in blinds, your movement is concealed in those no matter what weapon you are using. Compare apples to apples. In a treestand, theres little difference in how much movement is involved with bringing a crossbow up on target and drawing your bow.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

i still don't think you're comprehending what I'm saying. I'm stating what the average and even an above average hunter considers his/her max. Not considering western hunters, olympians and tournament champions. But the 40 hour a week family man who shoots his bow in his backyard. 

You said a compound had a max range of 30-35 yards, you never said anything about a person having that max range. I would argue that most people aren't comfortable shooting a crossbow farther then that either. So what's the difference which one is used? 

14 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

When I draw my bow, there is little movement. Forget hunting in blinds, your movement is concealed in those no matter what weapon you are using. Compare apples to apples. In a treestand, theres little difference in how much movement is involved with bringing a crossbow up on target and drawing your bow.

I can't agree with that, when I hunt with my compound I have to stand then draw. With a crossbow all I have to do is lift it and pull the trigger. No need to stand or draw. Same goes for when I'm using my rifle. If I'm shooting behind the tree I will stand with my rifle or a crossbow but with my bow I can't shoot behind the tree due to needing to hold it at full draw. Both the crossbow and rifle can be rested against the tree or even a shooting rail to steady the shot unlike my compound. There are a number of advantages the crossbow has over the compound that are the same advantages as a firearm.

20 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I can't agree with that, when I hunt with my compound I have to stand then draw. With a crossbow all I have to do is lift it and pull the trigger. No need to stand or draw. Same goes for when I'm using my rifle. If I'm shooting behind the tree I will stand with my rifle or a crossbow but with my bow I can't shoot behind the tree due to needing to hold it at full draw. Both the crossbow and rifle can be rested against the tree or even a shooting rail to steady the shot unlike my compound. There are a number of advantages the crossbow has over the compound that are the same advantages as a firearm.

First, you cant rest a crossbow on the side of a tree like a rifle. Offhand, crossbows do not handle much like a rifle, regardless of how they look.

Second, if you cant shoot behind the tree your stand is in, then you are doing something wrong. I always make sure I have lanes on the back side of the tree.

Third, there are also many disadvantages to a crossbow that the compound doesnt have, but that doesnt fit in with your agenda, so you just ignore them.

In any case, the movements you make with a compound from a treestand are not much greater than those you have to make with a crossbow. All of which need to be made when the deer is not looking, and at similar ranges.