Lazy yote hunting

Is it possible to have any success at all at yote hunting without a lot of effort and gear. Say... for a friend who just wanted to get out of the house on a Saturday. Cheap mouth call that's easy to be effective with and not a lot of learning? Any times that don't require getting up real early? This "friend" has everything but the call and is lazy this time of year.

What should I tell this lazy "friend"?

:drinks:

• Like 1

I would suggest he wait for a warm day and go sit from 11-3pm (so as not to interfere with sleeping in or dinner).  Any sunny spot in the woods should do.  He shouldn't expect to shoot anything but what the heck, he is lazy so probably doesn't have any desire to deal with skinning a yote anyways.  Out of house and no work.  win-win.

• Like 2

Give it a shot ! If your not intending to become an avid yote hunter the worst you can do is educate them to never come back or to be extra careful the next time... Play the wind, don't over call, get some sort of moving decoy.... And enjoy !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Belo, tell ya what, I have a cheap e-caller laying around that you can have. Its not the loudest or the best, but I have called fox in with it. It should get you going. Let me get my stuff moved to the new house and Ill dig it out for you, free of charge. If free isnt your thing, then you can meet me somewhere and buy me a beer and we can shoot the breeze.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Belo, tell ya what, I have a cheap e-caller laying around that you can have. Its not the loudest or the best, but I have called fox in with it. It should get you going. Let me get my stuff moved to the new house and Ill dig it out for you, free of charge. If free isnt your thing, then you can meet me somewhere and buy me a beer and we can shoot the breeze.

I appreciate that. these temps aren't helping but I'll let you know.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Belo said:

Cheap mouth call that's easy to be effective with and not a lot of learning? 

I have a FoxPro and a little pocket Phantom electronic job and they surely do work but truthfully it is not that hard to learn use of a basic varmint mouth call, there are plenty of online videos and CDs one can listen to that give a good idea on what kind of sounds you make to bring them in, believe me you do not have to be perfect. I have had just about as good luck bringing them with a hand held mouth call as with an electronic one, the big advantage with the electronic call is they can be operated with almost zero movement, it does not take much to get busted. Electronic calls that have remotes so the actual call or speaker can be placed away from your stand keeps all the attention away from the hunter as long as he has the wind. If you can stand the cold the weather we are having right now it is really good for calling, they come on the run.

Below is my favorite mouth call I picked up about 5 years ago, it is hand made by a fellow from Canastota NY, his outfit was called "Black Creek", don't know if he still makes calls or not. A three in one, it can be used as a howler, regular screaming rabbit and it has a squirrel squeaker. I carry this call in my pocket just about every time I go hunting and it almost always has provided me with some sort of action.

Al

001.JPG

Edited by airedale

I have not heard of this thing called lazy yote hunting??? Lol in my opinion it’s all-in or a waste of time..... the more you go, the more you’ll realize how tough it is.

I suggest learning how to use a mouth-blown howler as well. The “hot dog” is a great howler that only takes a little practice. Tell your friend to howl a couple times and give 10-15 min of silence, and then squawk on the distress call intermittently for 10-15 min and then sit in silence for another 10. If nothing comes in, the couch will be waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I have not heard of this thing called lazy yote hunting??? Lol in my opinion it’s all-in or a waste of time..... the more you go, the more you’ll realize how tough it is.

yeah that's kind of what I know in my heart to be true. Our pop isn't threw the roof, but they're there. I guess I haven't been convinced the yote hide is worth the trouble. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1