Smoked Venison Jerky

NYBowhunter

7 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

nice it that a masterbuilt smoker. I got one for christmas when it get a little warmer im dieing  to  to try it. Did you use venison or beef

Yep its a Masterbuilt. No dont wait till it gets warmer, the colder outside the better. The colder it is outside the more often the heating element needs to work to maintain the desired temp.,  which translates into more smoke (which you want). Thats venison.

20180114_135626.jpg

4 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

What temp did you smoke them at and for how long.... I have the same smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set my temp. At 140 and set my timer for 20 hours. , at the 15 th hour or so  i will start to pull some of the smaller pieces that are done ( dont want to over smoke/cook them as then they become brittle).  Some of the larger pieces may even go more then 20 hrs. Just have to keep checking and pulling them as they are done. Also should rotate the racks every few hours.

I set my temp. At 140 and set my timer for 20 hours. , at the 15 th hour or so  i will start to pull some of the smaller pieces that are done ( dont want to over smoke/cook them as then they become brittle).  Some of the larger pieces may even go more then 20 hrs. Just have to keep checking and pulling them as they are done. Also should rotate the racks every few hours.

I was gunna say I’ve had problems with getting brittle and breakage in that smoker... I also think I sliced them too thin... maybe I’ll try another batch soon

8 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I was gunna say I’ve had problems with getting brittle and breakage in that smoker... I also think I sliced them too thin... maybe I’ll try another batch soon

Have to just keep checking them and rotating the racks to avoid over cooking them. With this batch i had some of the smaller pieces done by the 9th hour. Once they get that real dark, almost black outer color its time to take those  pieces out.

9 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

1 Qt. Cold water, 4 oz sugar, 3 oz non iodized salt, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, ginger,  curry powder, garlic powder, chilly powder, hot red pepper flakes  and cayenne pepper.  Venison sits in brine in fridge overnight.

Thank you!Do you let rest or drip/dry before smoking?To many options/opinions on smoker

19 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

1 Qt. Cold water, 4 oz sugar, 3 oz non iodized salt, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, ginger,  curry powder, garlic powder, chilly powder, hot red pepper flakes  and cayenne pepper.  Venison sits in brine in fridge overnight.

Sounds and looks great  Your recipe is almost identical to what I do .   Humor me some time and amp up the chilli powder, cayenne and a dash more of red hot pepper flakes BUT add a little brown sugar  You'll get hot up front and a touch of sweet in the back end. I've experimented a lot over the years and everyone seems to really like my jerky

6 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sounds and looks great  Your recipe is almost identical to what I do .   Humor me some time and amp up the chilli powder, cayenne and a dash more of red hot pepper flakes BUT add a little brown sugar  You'll get hot up front and a touch of sweet in the back end. I've experimented a lot over the years and everyone seems to really like my jerky

Im good on the heat as i like my jerky with a little heat, so the hot spices are amped...lol...funny thing  i was  gonna add a little brown sugar on this batch but opted out. Next batch i will give the  brown sugar a try.  One thing i did different was i usually drizzle black pepper on the jerky once placed on the racks, instead i used the below spice and they came out great.

20180115_172043.jpg

• Like 1