Food plots vs Hunting plots

Just wondering who actually plants true food(feed)plots vs hunting plots. I would say a food(feed plot) should be over an acre in size where a hunting plot less than that. I would start a poll on this but am far from computer savy... The steps required for the two differ and what would be planted in my opinion vary for each.

That's an interesting distinction you are making there. I don't think I have ever heard that way of defining a "hunting plot" vs. a food supply plot. I'm not much of an expert at growing food or attractants for deer or other critters, so I guess I probably don't have much to offer about what features promote a better "food" plot vs. a "hunting" plot, but I guess that now that you have pointed out the distinction, I can see where things might be done quite differently depending on what function the plot is supposed to serve. This will be an interesting thread.

Isn't it all one and the same?  The vast majority of people who plant any sized food plot are hunters who do it to attract deer to their land, so any sized food plot should be called a hunting plot in my opinion.  Now if a tree hugger type person who dislikes hunting planted a food plot then I surely wouldn't call it a hunting plot, but guess what?  I don't see any tree hugger types planting food plots for deer, so when we do see a food plot we generally know what the motive behind it really is.

Like I said above I am not any kind of authority on plots, but I thought the distinction trying to be made was between a plot that was intended to be hunted vs. one that was put in only as supplemental winter deer food.

If I had to guess, I would think that a plot that was put in strictly for hunting over would be rather small to make deer locations more predictable and highlight foods that would be attractive during the fall (hunting) months. Plots put in as a winter food source primarily to highlight a hi-carb food source available later in the season at a time that might benefit winter-weary deer. It might even be  large enough where it might simulate typical agricultural fields which are not always all that useful in hunting situations. Supplemental food plots may still be created by hunters (or not) could very well have some distinct differences from hunting food plots. At least that was the what I thought was being implied when the two terms were being used in the original post.

We have hunting food plots that are small and in tight for bowhunting. Most times for early bow season for the small Hunting plots.We make the larger 2 to 5 acre plots mostly in corn to leave all winter for the deer and turkeys.We still have corn up today that the deer but mostly the turkeys are pounding.There is no better place to smash some toms than in a last year corn plot that is all brought down by the winter weather.We mix it up with soybeans,alfalfa,clover,sunflowers,chicory to keep them in whatever they want,For the plots in front of my stands its only red zone for me!!!

This topic could get interesting.  I personally feel large food plots or crops are good but cost a crap load of money. Now the  throw and grow plots are in my eyes the same as baiting but is legal in NY vs a 600 lb corn feeder which is illegal. I personally think they should put a  size limit on food plots for them to be legal. 

This topic could get interesting.  I personally feel large food plots or crops are good but cost a crap load of money. Now the  throw and grow plots are in my eyes the same as baiting but is legal in NY vs a 600 lb corn feeder which is legal. I personally think they should put a  size limit on food plots for them to be legal.

Wow, what a load. So lets see, in your eyes my 3 less then 1/2 acre plots are baiting. And if it was up to you I wouldn't need to bust my @ss at all in the woods because I don't have groomed fields on my lease.

This topic could get interesting.  I personally feel large food plots or crops are good but cost a crap load of money. Now the  throw and grow plots are in my eyes the same as baiting but is legal in NY vs a 600 lb corn feeder which is legal. I personally think they should put a  size limit on food plots for them to be legal.

Wow, what a load. So lets see, in your eyes my 3 less then 1/2 acre plots are baiting. And if it was up to you I wouldn't need to bust my @ss at all in the woods because I don't have groomed fields on my lease.

Does your 1/2 acre plot support the wildlife in the area or just draw them in for hunting? Is that any different then having a corn feeder with corn in it? Does your 1/2 acre plots survive for the year or are they all eaten up during hunting season and then do nothing for the wildlife during the rest of the months? Garden sized food plots aren't supporting the area wildlife which is the reason and argument used by so many as to way they are better then baiting.

" Well it turns out deer need to eat on average about 1 1/2 tons of food a  year. Thats about 3,000 lbs annually! To put that into context, humans  eat on average only about 1,500 lbs a year" Now take that and multiply it by the amount of deer on a property. Do some food plots SUPPORT the deer or draw them in for hunting? Here's an interesting article that explains how much food deer eat.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2010/05/18/how-much-food-does-a-deer-eat-a-year/

Stretchhunts; your post fails of elitist snobbery. Leave it up to guys like you to take the one thing we can do in NY and try to stink it up because you don't like it.

Oh look he's trying to preach us all about how much a deer can consume, and how I can't possibly imagine to feed the local herd with my petty food plots, awww gosh I must be trying to attract them repeatedly so I can hunt them later, awwww....

My next plot is about a 50 x 20 yard stretch. Get it? Got the perfect spot for a stand all picked out. I think I'll call it the-stretch in your honor.

A hunting plot should conatain "deer candy"  clover,turnips,brassica,oats,winter wheat. It is designed to maximize the area covered by a single or two stands. It may be shaped to concentrate deer movement and activity in a specfic area Be it a point or a intercection of two long food plots, and maximize the amout of edge.                                                                                                                    Deer eat a lot and although the media and seed companies want you to believe that a 1/2 acre of wonder clover,or whatever will produce monster bucks...it will not. the tonnage needed per deer is amazing. How many of you have a plot mowed to the ground?? A few deer can do this in a few days and the nutrional boost they recieve is minimal. Most people planting plots are looking to attract deer during the season after it closes the deer clean out the plot and are left to find what they can.                                                                                                            A feed plot is usually large and square or rectangular shaped, it is not effectivly hunted by a single stand or many stands. Think farmers field deer may enter and leave the field at numerous points. Its main planting is for nutrition, a large corn field for winter carbs,clover and alfalfa for protine. It should be large enought to provider food through the entire winter/spring in the case of corn, or year round  for clover. The new fad it to take a large feed field and cut a corner off it and plant another plant making a hunting plot on the edge of a feed field. Yes some people will hunt feed fields but they are not designed for the hunter in mind.                                                        I have two winter feed fields of corn 3 and 7 acres. they are not hunted over directly but do draw deer to the area. I also have a 3 acre cloverfield as a way to provide protine, athough i believe if you want big bucks age is a much more important than nutrition. Having a destination feed field can be great if you get an early deep snow during gun as the deer will come in from neighboring properties and  use it as a wintering food source and will bed in or close to it. Although if you do plant for winter feed remember to plant enough as deer will concentrate and can cause significant browse damage if the food runs out, or even worse you will find a lot of starving or dead deer in the spring.

Hey guys, I was thinking about planting 2-3 crab apple trees near my stands in a small plot area, maybe with a few berry bushes near by to help attract deer.

But wait!! That can't possibly feed the entire herd or even one deer with just that and my petty food plots. Gosh darn I must be baiting. I better not do it then, the elitist snobs here won't approve, awwww...

Fantail, you keep planting your plots :) what most people fail to understand anything is better than nothing. While you might not feed a herd the deer will move to your neighbors plots, or put less pressure on natural browse and they are healthier for it.  Stretch, a feeder is a lot different than a food plot as most feeders dispence food at specfic time and deer are trained to come at that time. food plots are 24/7 and deer not contitioned to come at specfic time. Size a plot of would not change that fact.

Fantail, you keep planting your plots :) what most people fail to understand anything is better than nothing. While you might not feed a herd the deer will move to your neighbors plots, or put less pressure on natural browse and they are healthier for it.  Stretch, a feeder is a lot different than a food plot as most feeders dispence food at specfic time and deer are trained to come at that time. food plots are 24/7 and deer not contitioned to come at specfic time. Size a plot of would not change that fact.

Not all feeders are on timers, Just saying. I have seen a lot of them in the old Forge area that are like troughs .

Stretchhunts; your post fails of elitist snobbery. Leave it up to guys like you to take the one thing we can do in NY and try to stink it up because you don't like it.

Oh look he's trying to preach us all about how much a deer can consume, and how I can't possibly imagine to feed the local herd with my petty food plots, awww gosh I must be trying to attract them repeatedly so I can hunt them later, awwww....

My next plot is about a 50 x 20 yard stretch. Get it? Got the perfect spot for a stand all picked out. I think I'll call it the-stretch in your honor.

Snobbery? Why b/c I disagree with you? Now this is funny. I am the furthest from being a snob. Just stating my opinions on a hunting website and as usual people can't take others opinions without name calling. Really come on now. All I stated is how much a deer eats in a year. Baiting a deer is illegal in NYS? Why is it illegal? Because you put food out to draw deer into an area to shoot them and the bait piles are not there year round . A 50 x 20 "STRETCH" Plot doesn't help the herd and will not be there all year around. Chances are the stretch plot will be gone right after hunting season ends. so how is it better or different then baiting? try to answer the question instead of wise guy remarks or childish name calling.

A hunting plot should conatain "deer candy"  clover,turnips,brassica,oats,winter wheat. It is designed to maximize the area covered by a single or two stands. It may be shaped to concentrate deer movement and activity in a specfic area Be it a point or a intercection of two long food plots, and maximize the amout of edge.                                                                                                                    Deer eat a lot and although the media and seed companies want you to believe that a 1/2 acre of wonder clover,or whatever will produce monster bucks...it will not. the tonnage needed per deer is amazing. How many of you have a plot mowed to the ground?? A few deer can do this in a few days and the nutrional boost they recieve is minimal. Most people planting plots are looking to attract deer during the season after it closes the deer clean out the plot and are left to find what they can.                                                                                                             A feed plot is usually large and square or rectangular shaped, it is not effectivly hunted by a single stand or many stands. Think farmers field deer may enter and leave the field at numerous points. Its main planting is for nutrition, a large corn field for winter carbs,clover and alfalfa for protine. It should be large enought to provider food through the entire winter/spring in the case of corn, or year round  for clover. The new fad it to take a large feed field and cut a corner off it and plant another plant making a hunting plot on the edge of a feed field. Yes some people will hunt feed fields but they are not designed for the hunter in mind.                                                        I have two winter feed fields of corn 3 and 7 acres. they are not hunted over directly but do draw deer to the area. I also have a 3 acre cloverfield as a way to provide protine, athough i believe if you want big bucks age is a much more important than nutrition. Having a destination feed field can be great if you get an early deep snow during gun as the deer will come in from neighboring properties and  use it as a wintering food source and will bed in or close to it. Although if you do plant for winter feed remember to plant enough as deer will concentrate and can cause significant browse damage if the food runs out, or even worse you will find a lot of starving or dead deer in the spring.

See you can explain something in detail. Most of what you said is the same point I was trying to make. My point is Food Plots help the herd and hunting plots are baiting with a twist.  ;D and G-man I had no intentions to turn your thread into a name calling BS thread. 

So your intention was what then?

"think they should put a  size limit on food plots for them to be legal."

Rubbish. That is a snobby thing for you to say. And it fails. If it makes you feel better that is just my opinion.

Seems like you want sell capping something, the one thing we can do to attract wildlife - legaly. Oh realy? Who are you to say the rest of us shouldn't be able to turn an little peice of a logging trail or clearing into something productive? You feel it's baiting? Ok. Attracting wildlife to a grown food source regardless of size baits the animal. Deal with it. I see you like to quote and toss in 1/2 dozen questions to cloud the post, you know it doesn't change what you said.

If you believe the elitist snob remark was a name directed solely to you then I appologise. It was directed to that statement you made, and not to be rude but to anyone who agrees with it.

G-man; I can appriciate what you said in your last post and I think your knowledge of maintaining plots far out strips mine. I'd have to respect that. Still I think your definition of what a true food plot might be isn't so for the rest of us. Perhaps even if the resources were level.

I think I would also agree with what steve posted.

I plant hunting plots to "bait if thats what you want to call it" deer off the neighboring property's and kill them. Neighboring propertys are all farmers fields which is where the deer spend most of there time. our prop, is all wooded Mountains and a small grown over field with little food except acorns. I like rye, oats, rape and turnips for most of the plots. Problem is the doe population is to high so they usually clean it out after the 1st frost and I am not able to hunt over them. Plan this yr to make a few spring/summer plots of chickory, clover in another area also. So we'll see how that go's.

Then my entire property would be illegal...because I don't have lrg open areas to put in 3-10 acre food plots....All my plots are nestled in the woods in small openings and long winding trails....with the addition of two more this year I'll have 14 plots that wind and intersect around the place around 3-4 acres total...25 stands and 16 ground blinds...If I'm baiting I'm doing a pretty poor job of it ...because I have no idea what plot or what time of day they'll show up at what plot. I also never know what stand or blind I'll be in ...because I choose by what the weather and wind will be that morning ....My way of keeping it more "fair chase" .....So you think I shouldn't be allowed to hunt my own land by your reasoning?

I should point out if you are planting hunting plots is such quanity and slightly larger size you are probably feeding deer year round, this can easily be determined if they are not eaten to the ground, or an even better way is to weigh your deer before food plotting and after food plots have been established.  An example in 1993 a yearling buck on my property field dressed between 101-118lbs in 2010 a yearling now weighs 112-125, horn size has increased slightly with the resident yearlings (as seen on trail cams all year), but dispersal still brings in lots of other little guys so i don't like to use antler size as an example of nutrition. Say you have 10 plots totaling 4 1/2 acres, your deer herd is in ballance and the property is not over hunted,or collectivly your neighbors and your plots add up to significant acerage, your probably feeding deer. Most people get started in a hunting plot maybe a half acre or smaller and expect the herd to bloom into monster bucks and plentiful fat doe. The media has done this thru our great hunting shows and magazines, wonder plots that small don't exist. True management of whitetails is more than drawing them in,or trophy buck production, If you are trying to truly better your herd(the people that stick to food plotting are usually doing some kind of timbermanagement/habitat management as well). It takes a lot more work than throw and go. Don't get the wrong inpression i am not trying to talk anyone out of putting in hunting plots to help aid in getting your deer. I am just trying to raise awareness of what not to expect(huge deer). I have seen a lot of hunters put in a plot and then 2-3 years later give up because they aren't seeing the deer they believed they should. All i am saying is realize what you have planted feed or attaction(hunting) i see a lot of posts that read it was eaten before i could hunt it, or they didn't hit my turnips till febuary. Hope this kind of explains why that happens its not like tv.

I can honestly say I have never hunted a food plot I have put in. I like to set on trails 100 yrds above the current one I work. The bucks travel these trails scenting for does on the plot below. I try to stay off the plots, I want them to feel safe there and I hop around with the climber on trails coming to the plots.

Food plots are legal!

Personally prefer not to plant them where I'm going to put a stand & hunt.

Have planted clovers & rye in lanes/openings far from my tree stands.

But I do hunt 150yds from my neighbors apple orchard.

Another neighbor plants ~2 acres of corn with a shooting tower 80yds off the plot.

Kinda urkes me every time I see it!! Oh well!!

So I guess I'm not opposed to them, just not for me.

To each his own!