Air Rifles

jusputtn

When I was a kid I somehow managed to shoot a sparrow with my lever action daisy bb gun.  I couldn't make that shot now if I had a hundred tries, but it broke my heart then, to see the bird flopping around.  With almost tears in my eyes I went over and put a few more in him as he bounced around to finish him off.  Now I would shoot every sparrow I could.  I've watched them run off the blue birds I've been trying to get to nest in my yard.  They will start to nest in one of out houses then the sparrows will come in.  This happens over and over.  They do kill bluebirds, I imagine others too.  They breed like rabbits, mess like rats, and destroy native songbirds.

Guys I can't see killing a bird just to kill it.not gonna get into it about pigeons.I have been around them all my life.I have seen some birds go for thousands of dollars,weather they are racing homers or show birds,or just plain flights.Rats should have it so good.but any way killing is not sportsman or hunting,I feel it gives us a bad name.

February 11, 2011 5:35 AM    Associated Press      KINDERHOOK -- A couple of residents of Kinderhook in Columbia County collected dozens of dead birds that fell from the sky and littered their yards and nearby tree branches.

It turns out that they were European starlings that were poisoned by a U.S. Department of Agriculture program to eradicate bird flocks that threaten dairy farms.

Carol Bannerman, a USDA spokeswoman, tells the Kingston Daily Freeman that it's not an uncommon practice for farmers to use pesticide-laced bird seed to kill flocks of starlings.

Usually, they die on the farmland, but in this case, the farm was close to town so the bodies were found by rather startled residents.

European starlings are an invasive species and as such aren't protected by law like native songbirds are. Bannerman said huge flocks of thousands of starlings may settle on a farm and devour large quantities of feed set out for the cattle.

From;http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/starlings-1282774-flocks-columbia.html

I used to kill a few hundred a year on a few local dairy farms. It's culling, that simple. One could say you benefit from the target practice. By poison or gun, job needs to get done sometimes.....

Yeah, this is a bit of a moral issue.  I use to always be in the line of let nature be "natural".  Don't mess up it's delicate balance.  But the truth of matter is that we've already messed with it.  We've already destroyed the balance by introducing foreign invasive species into the local habitat.  The reason why they encourage the taking of coyotes is because of it's population explosion.  The coyote population explosion is a direct result of humans chasing away their only competitor.  The wolves.  It is more evident near major cities where humans has essentially eliminated all large predators from the eco-system.  With all the large predators removed by human intervention, how is there any form of balance?  In some ways, a part of me feels like we need to make things right.  I certainly don't approve killing just to kill but there are certain invasive species that would serve the local ecology better if their population was controlled.  Invasive species I would take:

Snakehead

Asian Carp

European Sparrows

Common Rock Pigeon

Feral Pigs/Hogs

Eastern Coyote

Asian Long Horn Beetle

City Rats

@ Toruk-Makato,

I don't think the Eastern Coyote fits in your invasive species list.  They weren't transplanted and they didn't hitch any free rides.  My understanding is that they hoofed it in and, being of low moral character, interbred with wolves on the way.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/science/28coyotes.html  Though most are around 35 or 40 lbs, one shot in Broadalbin a few years ago weighed 80 or 85 lbs.  Not that any of this info would prevent me from shooting one on site, in season of course.

• 8 months later...

All I use is an air rifle. I have a springer and PCP. Im always find it funny that when I run into folks they ask why Im hunting with a kids toy...It actually puts some of the rude hikers at ease with a jerk of the thumb and head "Oh, its just a pellet gun." Some do engage me in conversation about the why and after a speil and/or accuracy and power display the notion is usually dispelled.

As for the maintenance on a air rifle, its really not that bad. Just like anything, a few mods and a tune you will enjoy a better shooting cycle that will last much longer than out of the box. Most quite down nicely after this and not to mention knowning your weapon inside and out.

Love using my airgun. I think the thrill of hunt with an airgun vs a rimfire or centerfire is much more satisfying since it involves a little bit of stalking to get in close enough range. It's also very economical to shoot pellets vs rifle bullets too, so practice, or hunting, it's a win-win.

• 6 months later...
Forgot about this thread.Anyway,back in May,I bought the Stoeger X10 for the wife.Scoped and very accurate and sounds close to a 22 when it goes off(with the target ammo) not too bad with the hunting pellets though. At 1200fps,it shoots pretty darn good.

http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/

Although rated for 1200 fps, usually much lower than that in reality unless you are using light weight alloy pellets in the 5 grain weight range

Most hunting pellets will be 8 grains and up to retain enough energy down range to cause a lethal wound.

Since my last post in this thread, I have take a lot of game with my .177, .22 and .25. You would really be surprised what 40 fpe at the muzzle can do.

The speeds these airguns are reaching are unbelievable. I saw a show where they were killing hogs and gators. They also were hunting deer with airguns. I don't think they were whitetails maybe key deer.

Adult white tail has been taken by some of the more powerful airguns.

Biggest animal ive shot with my .177cal is a couple of fat woodchucks. I dont think i would shoot anything bigger than that with your standard 1200fps air rifle.

I would imagine that a fox is as large as I would go with a magnum springer in .177. I've heard stories of raccoons being a tough animal with the .177, even well placed shots.

I have the Gamo whisper air rifle that apparently shoots the PBA bullets at 1250fps. Although I've never had it chronoed, I wouldn't doubt its speed. It's fairly accurate out to 50 yards, and I've killed chucks, squirrels, pigeons, starlings, and other nuisances around the farm with it. The kids love shooting it and it's cheap enough for them to shoot for hours. I bought a 500 round can from Cabela's for $6. They aren't the most accurate but for the kids their fine. Great little gun to get them started with and teach them gun safety.

I would imagine that a fox is as large as I would go with a magnum springer in .177. I've heard stories of raccoons being a tough animal with the .177, even well placed shots.

Yes Raccoons are tough. I tried to kill one with a .177 air rifle and after many shots to the head it was still alive. I put it down with a .22 handgun. I had the skull of the raccoon cleaned by beatles and the skull has the pellets embedded in the skull...crazy.

• 1 month later...

I have a Marauder .22 pcp. It is a great air rifle. 10 shot clips. It is very quiet. It will take rabbits and squirrels all day. It will do all you ask of it if you pair it with a good scope.

Benjamin is a Crosman brand. Made here in NY in East Bloomfield. Some of the Benjamin line is made here, some overseas. I think these are made here.