Semi-autos Throwing Brass

Shot in traveling league indoor NRA bullseye pistol match last night.  Women at the slot/station next to me was shooting a what looked like the new S&W Victory.  During the slow course of fire portion i noticed a couple spent brass sailing past me. to be expected though and plenty of time to regain focus. you're basically standing facing perpendicular or so to the target, shooting the pistol with one hand and unsupported.  during courses of timed and rapid fire though, holy hell was the brass flying at me.  i caught a few pieces of brass right square to the point of the nose and others bouncing off my face and lenses of my glasses.  in hind sight brass being hot wasn't an issue but they sure did hit with some force for being a 22LR.  for the slow fire portion i had the second highest score but when i was getting pelted it dropped way off. with as little as 2 seconds per shot for time you have for the rapid course of fire.  i couldn't keep it together. anyway not too bent over it and not the woman's fault really.  Just figured i'd share the cluster f*&^% of an experience.  i've shot there before and never had an issue.

I was on the other side of the fence Sunday morning. Took my new semi-auto rifle to the range, after a few shots the guy sitting to my right got a little mouthy, started complaining that my empties were flying his way. I calmly asked him what exactly did he think I could do about it, and he was welcome to move if it was a problem; I moved over once the seat on my left was open. He was shooting a .50 Barrett, first time I ever saw one up close, you could feel some sort of vaccum action every time he fired it off, very strange.

• Like 2

yea just at the range doesn't warrant anything, he sounds like a complainer.  indoors some ranges have sides that extend backwards or pull out to keep your brass flying within your personal space.  only effected me when i got hit in the face during competition with little time.  doesn't help the bullseye we're going for is size of your thumbnail almost 20 yards away either.  i'm just surprised still at how hard that pistol was ejecting them! lol

• Like 1

I have had a few very heated conversations over this same thing at the range. Probably my biggest issue with AR's and AK's. Trying to do some precision shooting and next to you is some clown dumping mags as fast as they can.  I have semis as well but when I go to the range with them I have my shootign box or a piece of cardboard blocking any flying brass.  Then there is the muzzle brakes but that is another thread. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have had a few very heated conversations over this same thing at the range. Probably my biggest issue with AR's and AK's. Trying to do some precision shooting and next to you is some clown dumping mags as fast as they can.  I have semis as well but when I go to the range with them I have my shootign box or a piece of cardboard blocking any flying brass.  Then there is the muzzle brakes but that is another thread. 

i'm neighbor to a rod and gun club.  we've got steel gongs out to 300 yards.  i'll hear people when outside doing something.  most likely with AR15 they'll hit the gongs taking there time and then as they speed up gongs hits are sporadic and very few.  i get a chuckle.  normally we don't have full lines down the shooting benches but you see it coming when a guy doesn't setup on the end or gives people space while pulling out a "tactical" semi-auto. i think i've seen brass catch bags for ARs that run around $20. attach right to the rifle.  seeing more people with muzzle brakes too.... given how overly sensitive today's society is and recoil being evil i'm sure they aren't going away much.

All the indoor ranges I ever shot at had stalls with partition walls that would block and prevent empty cases flying into the shooting station next to it. 

Bullseye pistol shooting is all about concentration and focus and anything that interferes with that will have a negative effect on your score especially in the timed and rapid fire stages. I would have told the rangemaster what was happening and requested to shoot my rounds over. 

The woman using the S&W should have been moved to the shooting station on the end of the firing line where her empty brass would not be flying into other competitors faces.

Al

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Shot in traveling league indoor NRA bullseye pistol match last night.  Women at the slot/station next to me was shooting a what looked like the new S&W Victory.  During the slow course of fire portion i noticed a couple spent brass sailing past me. to be expected though and plenty of time to regain focus. you're basically standing facing perpendicular or so to the target, shooting the pistol with one hand and unsupported.  during courses of timed and rapid fire though, holy hell was the brass flying at me.  i caught a few pieces of brass right square to the point of the nose and others bouncing off my face and lenses of my glasses.  in hind sight brass being hot wasn't an issue but they sure did hit with some force for being a 22LR.  for the slow fire portion i had the second highest score but when i was getting pelted it dropped way off. with as little as 2 seconds per shot for time you have for the rapid course of fire.  i couldn't keep it together. anyway not too bent over it and not the woman's fault really.  Just figured i'd share the cluster f*&^% of an experience.  i've shot there before and never had an issue.

That's why you wear a hat to keep them from hitting you in the face.

Think of it like rain hitting your hat or hood. haha

Edited by chas0218

20 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I was on the other side of the fence Sunday morning. Took my new semi-auto rifle to the range, after a few shots the guy sitting to my right got a little mouthy, started complaining that my empties were flying his way. I calmly asked him what exactly did he think I could do about it, and he was welcome to move if it was a problem; I moved over once the seat on my left was open. He was shooting a .50 Barrett, first time I ever saw one up close, you could feel some sort of vaccum action every time he fired it off, very strange.

LMAO, the guy shooting a Barrett .50 cal was bitching about empties flying toward him. Thats funny

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Ill never forget the one day at Brooks. You wanted to wrap that AR around the guys head LMAO

27 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

LMAO, the guy shooting a Barrett .50 cal was bitching about empties flying toward him. Thats funny

I thought so also. I highly doubt the club allows shooting a rifle like this in the first place. This was the first time I took the rifle out, it's an AK style rifle. I thought I had gotten to the range early enough to beat the crowds, but apparently not, it was the first warm Sunday in about a month. I wasn't trying to see how fast I could empty the clip, more interested in getting the sights zeroed in. I would have gladly switched seats so that I was furthest to the right, but I think he just wanted to complain. I'll bring a large piece of cardboard next time, maybe that will keep the shells from flying over to the shooter on the right.

• Like 1