Scope Recommendations??

Just picked up a Remington 750 Carbine (18 .5" barrel) in .308 and can't wait to shoot it!  Has iron sights and is ready to go but I am going to want a scope on it.  Any one have this rifle and/or can make any recommendations as to a good scope?  Will I stil be able to use my iron sights at all with scope?

post-2219-13145544328_thumb.jpg

You are going to get a ton of different responses and probably all based on their own experiences.

Have you ever used a scope in hunting situations?

I would suggest....take a hard look at the type of hunting you are going to do.(still hunting, stalking, driving. stand hunting)

The type of shots you expect to take and feel comfortable taking (only standing, moving and the distance)

By your question about the iron sights you may only have one option and that is see through mounts. I am not a huge fan of those because they tend to take your head off the stock from the best shooting position. If your concern is about finding the target using the scope I would suggest staying with a lower power scope. I would suggest a variable. buy the best glass you can afford and DO NOT skimp on the mounts. the best glass isn't worth a darn if what connects it to the gun is junk.

I run variables on my rifles...3-9 and 44mm objectives up to 50's. I have hunted with scopes for 25 years and that is my preference. if you are short range, thick cover and concerned about picking up moving targets, they have a great spread of variables in 1.5 power up with top ends at  5 or 7.

Go some where to touch and look through and enjoy that gun. Nice gun and very good caliber.

Forget about the iron sights.  Get used to shooting thru a scope and iron sights should never be necessary.  Finding game thru a scope can be made easier if you keep both eyes open when taking aim.  That is what I do and have never had difficulty in picking up game even with a scope set at 5X at relatively short range.  Whatever you do, don't buy those mounts that you can see the iron sights thru them.  I have never seen one of these mounts that wasn't anything other than cheap aluminum junk.

Remove the iron sights, buy a Leupold VX 2 2x7 scope and decent mounts. 

Call me in 40 years and thank me.

If the price of a new scope is too much, find a used one.  Pretty easy to find, if you need help locating one, let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The first question you need to address is what type of hunting do you plan on doing with the gun...........terrain, max. yardage,etc. That will help determine what magnification range you will be looking into.

Rule of thumb, good glass will cost you as much, but more likely more than the gun itself. Purchase the best glass your pocketbook will allow you to. Buy good now, no regrets later. You get what you pay for in a scope.

FDXX75

The first question you need to address is what type of hunting do you plan on doing with the gun...........terrain, max. yardage,etc. That will help determine what magnification range you will be looking into.

Rule of thumb, good glass will cost you as much, but more likely more than the gun itself. Purchase the best glass your pocketbook will allow you to. Buy good now, no regrets later. You get what you pay for in a scope.

FDXX75

What can't you do with a 2x7 Leupold?

FDXX75

What can't you do with a 2x7 Leupold?

Yup, I think that would be the perfect scope for that gun.  The gun is an 18.5 inch barreled .308 so it isn't exactly a beanfield rifle that needs a scope with any more power.

personally I like the 9 power being available. I would love to see them put out a 2-9. My Simmons Atek (which I love) is a 2.5-10 and it really is the best of both worlds. Would I put a 6-20 on a deer rifle ...no...but if a 200 yard shot is available to him...and that gun is very capable of it....the 9 power sure is nice to have.

Ok, so no looking under the scope, use one or the other got it  That is what I had figured but thought I would ask.  My main reason asking about using the irons was for low light conditions...I want to be sure that I can see the reticle, and my target good in lower light settings.  Any advice here? 

Ok, so no looking under the scope, use one or the other got it  That is what I had figured but thought I would ask.  My main reason asking about using the irons was for low light conditions...I want to be sure that I can see the reticle, and my target good in lower light settings.  Any advice here?

Buy good glass, low light is when it pays.....every scope looks good at noon (Well not really, but most are clear, edge to edge distortion, clarity suffers in poor scopes)

You don't have to get a plex reticle.....I hunt almost exclusive with a German #4 (thats heavier on both sides and bottom post. Helps at night.

I have a Leupold on my 270 Browning A-bolt and a Zeiss on my 7 mm Mag.

I always seem to pick up the Browning when heading out to the woods to hunt. The Leopold is extremely clear & crisp and the guarantee can not be beat. Just send it back if there is ever a problem and they will replace it with no questions asked. They also replace the old scope with new scope which has the newest improvements or model they may be manufacturing at the time.

Hunt with the same rifle set up until it feels as comfortable as your softest lounge chair.

If you have not realized it yet, I recommend Leopold. :-\

I don't like to have too much going on. The first scope I started using was a standard multiplex. I feel comfortable with it and have stuck with it. I wouldn't think you would need illuminated with a 50mm. Try them and I would stick to a common configuration for any gun. I think for rifles and NY hunting the BDC's are not required. I would skip bells and whistles and put the cash into best optics and mounts.

If you are using the gun for deer and/or bear, I would go with a good quality 32mm variable scope. You dont need an illuminated reticule, but they are nice to have. You also dont need to go as pricey as Leupold to get high quality glass, lifetime warranty and made in the USA, take a look at Vortex optics. They make very high quality stuff for a mid-range scope price. I have always seen the best prices on them at swfa.com they are great to deal with too. Just my .02  :)

Let me ask you guys this....is there anything a 32mm will do that a 50 can't? Is there a draw back to having a 2.5-10 compared to a 2-7? I guess in my view.....if you can afford it why not have more than your immediate need? Unless you are giving up function in the trade off? I guess I could have bought a deer rifle that is just capable of taking a deer.....but opted for one that deer was in its mid range....capable oftaking smaller game or loading up to take larger game

Good heavens, don't complicate things. 

Illuminated reticle?  50mm objective?  See through mounts?  Quick detach mounts?  See through Blizzard caps? BDC? Rain Guard? Turrets?  4 wheel drive (well, yep on that).

Get a simple 2x7 or if you REALLY thing you'll need it with a slide action 308, get a 3x9. 

KISS,KISS,KISS,KISS,KISS

K-Keep

I-It

S-Simple

S-Slick

Let me ask you guys this....is there anything a 32mm will do that a 50 can't? Is there a draw back to having a 2.5-10 compared to a 2-7? I guess in my view.....if you can afford it why not have more than your immediate need? Unless you are giving up function in the trade off? I guess I could have bought a deer rifle that is just capable of taking a deer.....but opted for one that deer was in its mid range....capable oftaking smaller game or loading up to take larger game

What fun would it be to have ONE gun to do everything?  Variety is the spice of life!! :)

Always nice to have more guns than you need...lol.

Seriously though. My .06 has taken chucks to moose so why not be as versatile as you can....unless you are giving something up. If I have a deer standing at 200 in hardwoods and his gun should be very capable of that....I would dial up to 10x for the shot. That is my preference. I believe it tightens up your shot....every movement is magnified