I wonder why this "stalled" at Andy's desk?

DirtTime

if we get a moose season i would like to see it be done like pa's elk lottery.  no limit on nonresidents and a cheap application fee for everyone.   if it comes to limiting nonresidents it should be 10% or up to 10%. thats the way most states out west treat nonresident.  

7 minutes ago, dmandoes said:

if we get a moose season i would like to see it be done like pa's elk lottery.  no limit on nonresidents and a cheap application fee for everyone.   if it comes to limiting nonresidents it should be 10% or up to 10%. thats the way most states out west treat nonresident.  

Have they changed the PA elk lottery  ?    Last time I checked it was  10% non res.....They were issuing about 40-50 tags at that time. so it meant that a max of 4-5  non-res  could draw tags, out of 10,000 Plus applicants.... I didn,t bother to apply, regardless of the price...If I want to shoot an elk I'd rather hunt them in the west, rather than shoot one in somebody's back yard in Benezet, Pa, regardless of HOW big it might be..

• Like 2

just checked, nonresidents have an equal opportunity at drawing. no limit.  thats the way i remember it.  i have max points like that will do me any good.  there was a guy from ny who has drawn two elk tags and shot two huge bulls.  he is the only hunter to draw twice.  it was in ny outdoors news if i remember correctly.  if they give me a tag, im going to have fun trying to call them in.  i wish they would bring back the bow season.     

Okay....I stand corrected...I do know that at the beginning no more than 10% of the tags could be issued to nonresidents, but it must have changed...I quit getting my PA tag two years ago, so I have become out of touch.. Good luck with the draw...

On 1/27/2018 at 5:58 PM, dmandoes said:

What's the Elk population down there in PA? I thought those Elk hunts were done on high fence areas, didn't know they were free range. Sorry, hunting PA isn't in my wheelhouse. So I am asking to get some insight.

As for Moose in NY, with the numbers we have, I think there should be a lottery, and non-residents being on the low end of that. The last report I can find was 800+, a few years ago. I am sure the numbers have increased, but I am also pretty sure the poachers take a toll on the numbers. I want a season to hunt moose, not a way to re-eradicate them from NYS.

• Like 1

Last I knew both Pa & Ky elk reintroduced into those states were free-ranging herds. May be wrong..!?!

On 1/27/2018 at 5:40 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Cause the last thing Andy said about DEC was that he wanted to bring more officers to NYC to crack down on subway littering.  His priorities....

... and our czar only looks at hunting and fishing opportunities as tourism dollars.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Last I knew both Pa & Ky elk reintroduced into those states were free-ranging herds. May be wrong..!?!

... and our czar only looks at hunting and fishing opportunities as tourism dollars.

i dont think he even cares about that "pro gun conservatives have no place in NY" He will be sure he gets his no matter where the money has to come from.  - his helicopter and 4 "emergency" vehicles around the state etc......but as long as his subway in NY is clean the Ecos in NY are doing their job.....  it sits next to the minimum age bill and the crossbow legis in the circular file called "conservative" .  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

21 hours ago, Rob... said:

What's the Elk population down there in PA? I thought those Elk hunts were done on high fence areas, didn't know they were free range. Sorry, hunting PA isn't in my wheelhouse. So I am asking to get some insight.

As for Moose in NY, with the numbers we have, I think there should be a lottery, and non-residents being on the low end of that. The last report I can find was 800+, a few years ago. I am sure the numbers have increased, but I am also pretty sure the poachers take a toll on the numbers. I want a season to hunt moose, not a way to re-eradicate them from NYS.

here some #s for u,  population last year around 1000, 125 tags with 104 filled,  6 were nonresidents( 5.6%) with no limit on nonresidents.   i think its a good system.   its not a dream breaker, for like $11 u can dream about elk hunting in pa.   

here some #s for u,  population last year around 1000, 125 tags with 104 filled,  6 were nonresidents( 5.6%) with no limit on nonresidents.   i think its a good system.   its not a dream breaker, for like $11 u can dream about elk hunting in pa.   
I say screw the non residents we need some sort of benefit for still living in this dumphole state

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I say screw the non residents we need some sort of benefit for still living in this dumphole state

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

I didn't want to go there, but........... I agree. 

On other comments........

Yes, Coumo only cares about the mighty dollar, but only if it benefits NYC, "the turd", and the few surrounding areas. Open up your Hunting-Fishing guide and this hypocrite is right on the first page with a bunch of BS about how he feels.

I just want a moose season right here in NYS! We have to look at things differently here. What other states have or do as hunting laws holds no true relevance on hunting laws in NYS. I am trying very hard to keep this from being 'political'.

If so many people are so hung up on what other states do, then go hunt there, move there, take that states flag on a "Date". I don't care about those other states, I care about what's going on right here where I live. We have opportunities for a moose season, a dove season, full inclusion of the crossbow, and none it goes anywhere. But, for me, being able to hunt moose right here in my home state means more to me then those other issues.

5 hours ago, Rob... said:

Me either, but here goes. The residents of the states pay to have these elk (and moose) populations re-established, so I'm for NO non-resident tags if it comes to that! Selfish, maybe! "F" the tourism $$.

Edited by nyslowhand

10 hours ago, Rob... said:

On other comments........

Yes, Coumo only cares about the mighty dollar, but only if it benefits NYC, "the turd", and the few surrounding areas. Open up your Hunting-Fishing guide and this hypocrite is right on the first page with a bunch of BS about how he feels.

I just want a moose season right here in NYS! We have to look at things differently here. What other states have or do as hunting laws holds no true relevance on hunting laws in NYS. I am trying very hard to keep this from being 'political'.

If so many people are so hung up on what other states do, then go hunt there, move there, take that states flag on a "Date". I don't care about those other states, I care about what's going on right here where I live. We have opportunities for a moose season, a dove season, full inclusion of the crossbow, and none it goes anywhere. But, for me, being able to hunt moose right here in my home state means more to me then those other issues.

ur a flip flopper.  u want opportunity, u should checkout wy.