Total Archery Challenge 7 Springs PA

NFA-ADK

Anyone going to the Total Archery Challenge?  Saw this on U-Tube a few days ago and my friends signed up this week, so I joined in.  Looks like a really cool shoot with some long distance shooting to make it real fun out to 100 yards.  We have 4 of us total going should be a good time.  If your interested in some long distance fun this is the course for you!  Now I just need to get more accurate out past 80 yards!  Looks like I might go to a single pin for this shoot, hoping to get a new bow before we go.  Looking at the Elite Ritual with optimizer lite sight just need to set it up so I can adjust to 100 yards. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I wouldn' even know how to get my sight to go out to 100 yards. 

I have a pins at 35-45-60-70-80.  To take a 100 yard shot you line up your 80 yard pin and then put it where the 60 yard pin is located.  That is how you can compensate when you do not have pins further than what you are shooting.  With a singe pin its much harder to figure but I will try try to add the extra yardage on the single pin once I get the new bow, most tape on the HHA sight I have only goes to 80 yards so I will need to start the  first yardage at 40 yards so the tape will read 20 yard off.  Example:  60 yards is really 80 and 80 will be my 100 yards.  Otherwise I will bring both bows in case any issues, one with pins other with single adjustable pin. 

To line up a 100 yard shot with a 20-30-40 set up you would need to aim with the 40 yard pin then move it up with the 20 yard pin then do it again and again, way to much compensation for that distance.  Reality is that if you are shooting this course you would need pins from 40 yards out to 80 or 90 and 5 pins would be needed to get the accuracy over those distances or just use an adjustable.  If you have a 70 and 80 yard pin your would just need to put the 80 yard pin where the 70 is located when on target this will get you to 90 yards.  This is the video that got me interested last week.

Edited by NFA-ADK

50 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I have a pins at 35-45-60-70-80.  To take a 100 yard shot you line up your 80 yard pin and then put it where the 60 yard pin is located.  That is how you can compensate when you do not have pins further than what you are shooting.  With a singe pin its much harder to figure but I will try try to add the extra yardage on the single pin once I get the new bow, most tape on the HHA sight I have only goes to 80 yards so I will need to start the  first yardage at 40 yards so the tape will read 20 yard off.  Example:  60 yards is really 80 and 80 will be my 100 yards.  Otherwise I will bring both bows in case any issues, one with pins other with single adjustable pin. 

I have a 20,30,40 yard pins on my HHA . The floating pin (top pin)is good for 70 yards,i wonder if i set the dial to 70 and use the middle pin if that would be 80 and the bottom pin would be 90?

That is a bit harder to compensate Jeremy K.  I would set the first pin at 40 then 50 then the last pin would allow your 60-90 yards then you would compensate for 100.  You would use the same size gap between your 10 yard pins increments to compensate above the target.    EX: once you have a 100 yard shot you would set the pin at 90 yards and go the same distance above the target between your 40 and 50 yard pins.  It is fun to compensate, I use to do it when I used 3 pins but found it was much more fun knowing where the pin should be vs compensation and loosing some arrows. 

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have a 20,30,40 yard pins on my HHA . The floating pin (top pin)is good for 70 yards,i wonder if i set the dial to 70 and use the middle pin if that would be 80 and the bottom pin would be 90?

You would actually be at 110 yards with that compensation 2nd low 20 yard pin would be 120 yards. 

Edited by NFA-ADK

I may give it a whirl, or at least prepare for it. Being new to the sport, this would give me a goal to practice toward and, as I understand it, there are courses with different levels of difficulty. Reminds me a little of sporting clays regional shoots**. There are a few videos out there of events from across the country. Looks like a hoot!

A 3 day sporting clays shoot would be a LOT more than what they are charging! The only downside is that it's a 5 hour drive.

13 hours ago, Bobonli said:

I may give it a whirl, or at least prepare for it. Being new to the sport, this would give me a goal to practice toward and, as I understand it, there are courses with different levels of difficulty. Reminds me a little of sporting clays regional shoots**. There are a few videos out there of events from across the country. Looks like a hoot!

A 3 day sporting clays shoot would be a LOT more than what they are charging! The only downside is that it's a 5 hour drive.

Practice uphill and downhill shots with uneven footing. That was the toughest thing for me when shooting these events at ski resorts. If your sight has a third axis adjustment  make sure its set

• Like 2

stacking pins is not accurate enough. you need an adjustable pin sight. problem i have getting really long distance is i run the bigger 2" vs 1-5/8" housing HHA. eventually vanes don't get clearance even having a lower anchor. spine and FOC becomes more important so it's not oscillating like a wet noodle too far out there. weight and vanes all effect how it carries too. i shoot a full max helical so mine have quite a lot of drag and drop. i use a .010" with HHA adjustability i can dial pin brightness in without weight of adjustable battery reostat. 100 yards is a long ways to shoot past minute of deer or balloon to pop.

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Already lost an arrow at 90 yards yesterday shooting at the target BUT!  OMG I will need more arrows!   lol 

if you continue you figure out an arrow saw and a spinner to make your own arrows from scratch is a must. otherwise the pro grade weight and tolerances of factory assembled arrows is expensive to buy.

I do fletch some arrows but will never cut them as the carbon fiber is so bad for your lungs.  The 90 yard shot was on my first shot of the day on a dot about 6 inches from the edge, slight flinch pulled me off left.  I should have done a warm up!  Next bow I will be looking for a relatively cheap arrow for target shooting more than hunting as this will become my main target bow.  I have noticed that even relatively cheap arrows are still fairly accurate for my needs.  The fact that I can buy more will allow "testing" and confirm which arrows I feel are best for longer ranges.  I just purchased 3 dozen more so I am set with my Helium for this season, or I might quit if I loose that many!  Otherwise the Ritual comes out the end of March I believe, I will test a few bows and choose but I think this is the one for me.  Easy of draw and back wall will be key.