Corn this Year!

Just spoke with the farmer who owns the property adjacent to mine.  Corn going in this year.  Yay - we usually have great rut movement with corn in.  Its my own personal 80 acre food plot.  lol

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 5

I always have a crap shoot of corn, beans or hay in one spot i hunt.  And my one stand pends on which is planted for location.  With corn can't shoot into the field so I setup accordingly.  Beans last year and had a lot of action there.  Corn seems to be tougher cause they stay in it for cover too.  Used to be great when they cut it but these new machines leave just about nothing behind. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

That is icing on the cake buddy!  Those big Cal bucks will be packing on more weight and inches!!!

We are working on a deal to have a local guy come in and do 20 to 30 acres of corn on our property this year too. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Good deal Moog!  Price is right too.  I don't think you would care for the bill on seed, fertilizer, diesel and spraying for 80 acres.  Yikes.

No kidding.  I do have about a 1/3 acre of brassicas going in but not really needed. 

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

That is icing on the cake buddy!  Those big Cal bucks will be packing on more weight and inches!!!

We are working on a deal to have a local guy come in and do 20 to 30 acres of corn on our property this year too. 

Corn was in last year and you saw some of the photos.  Kind of excited even though the biggest was killed by a car last year.  There will be a new big player in the mix I bet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Just spoke with the farmer who owns the property adjacent to mine.  Corn going in this year.  Yay - we usually have great rut movement with corn in.  Its my own personal 80 acre food plot.  lol

I got the same situation on the field of which I border two sides. He last had corn over 5 years ago, and the activity was high, especially for bears. He's had oats and alfalfa for the last few years but is going back to corn this year. Whoo-hoo!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

This is one of the rotation years for corn to be in a certain field that always has a crap load of activity in and out of it when its in corn. Its great very early in bow season when its in beans too, but nothing like it is with corn. Same general area that I took my bucks in the last 2 years in a row.

• Like 3

Not a done deal yet, but negotiations are ensuing to lease 25 acres adjacent to my food plot to a farmer who intends to plant corn..

I borders my 5-6 acre plot, which is half in clover and half in whatever I decide to plant this year, probably oats/wheat  or brassicas...

• Like 3

i've got a 10 acre corn field nextdoor that's behind the house. my 7 ish acre thick creek bottom runs into it.  problem is this past season a lot of knuckle heads hunted the edge all the way around. its a rod and gun club. deer activity dropped to nothing during daylight. also they take any deer in the area and more doe than they probably should so deer activity is low to begin with.  i really barely set foot back there this year and hunted the farm the whole time.  i'll go check it out back there soon.