Coyote den?

Chef

22 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You would be wrong about that. People have been killed and attacked by yotes, though its rare for people to be killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans

Yeah, it's happened but this guy wouldn't let his 1 year old kid wander his suburban yard without supervision. There was no threat.

• Like 1

I’m going to try and not use fowl language in my response to you. But you are a special kind of stupid. I’m certainly not afraid of every hole in the ground. But when there is a active coyote den 40 yards off your back porch with la deer front quarter mostly dragged down the hole it makes you think. Maybe we should dig a hole and bury your dumb A$$ In it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So now you know it was an "active coyote den?" A few days ago you were asking us what it was? Seems to me you still don't know what was or is using the hole. Next time you decide to do stupid and illegal things maybe you shouldn't post it online. #stupidcriminals

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yeah, it's happened but this guy wouldn't let his 1 year old kid wander his suburban yard without supervision. There was no threat.

Apparently there was enough of a threat in his eyes. Personally I wouldnt want the den there either, and Id do what I needed to, to make them leave and fill it back in. I wouldnt really give a rats patoot what anyone thought about it either. Its no different than a woodchuck digging holes in your yard, or squirrels damaging your house.

• Like 9

So now you know it was an "active coyote den?" A few days ago you were asking us what it was? Seems to me you still don't know what was or is using the hole. Next time you decide to do stupid and illegal things maybe you shouldn't post it online. #stupidcriminals

Yes when I first posted I wasn’t 100% but after getting very up close with the hole before throwing down the smoke bombs I’m 100% sure that’s what it was. I also have increased coyote activity on cams around the whole property.

People online love to be the big man from behind the computer screen. It’s actually quite funny

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

People online love to be the big man from behind the computer screen. It’s actually quite funny

Some of us have actual experience dealing with wild animals. They would have left with a minor amount of harassment. You sir are a reactionary coward.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Its no different than a woodchuck digging holes in your yard, or squirrels damaging your house.

Except for it is different. Chucks don’t have a season so kill away. Something damaging your house or threatening/killing livestock  is different. 

3 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Except for it is different. Chucks don’t have a season so kill away. Something damaging your house or threatening/killing livestock  is different. 

I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. 40 yards isnt very far. What would you do about a den of skunks under your porch? Or maybe coons? Youd do what you had to to make them leave, and make sure they cant get back in. Im not sure where I specifically said that I would kill them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. 40 yards isnt very far. What would you do about a den of skunks under your porch? Or maybe coons? Youd do what you had to to make them leave, and make sure they cant get back in. Im not sure where I specifically said that I would kill them.

We all said to make them leave without killing them too. Would not have been to hard honestly. 

The way I see it... The OP didn't have a clue what was or even if there was anything in that hole. He could've put a camera on it to verify. If it was a coyote den, a very minor bit of harassment and it would've left (with pups if it had any). I don't and will never advocate burning, drowning, gassing, clubbing etc. any animals. The hysteria in adult men who are supposedly sportsmen advocating to burn them alive is disgusting. If I were to have a litter of pups I didn't want so I created a post saying I was going to gas them or burn them I'd be an asshole. Correct? So how is this any different? Sportsmen are supposed to be stewards of the land, not "I'm going to torture or kill anything I see fit on my property regardless of game laws." If you can justify some of these actions then some of you are no better than the anti hunting crowd paints you.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Does this really have to devolve into name calling and insults? What the heck ever happened to civil discussion?

Good grief.

Go ahead - flame me.

It's springtime, Jerry...

The testosterone is flowing...

The boys need a good old fashioned chest thumping, dick measuring contest now and then....Hehehehe...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, chrisw said:

The way I see it... The OP didn't have a clue what was or even if there was anything in that hole. He could've put a camera on it to verify. If it was a coyote den, a very minor bit of harassment and it would've left (with pups if it had any). I don't and will never advocate burning, drowning, gassing, clubbing etc. any animals. The hysteria in adult men who are supposedly sportsmen advocating to burn them alive is disgusting. If I were to have a litter of pups I didn't want so I created a post saying I was going to gas them or burn them I'd be an asshole. Correct? So how is this any different? Sportsmen are supposed to be stewards of the land, not "I'm going to torture or kill anything I see fit on my property regardless of game laws." If you can justify some of these actions then some of you are no better than the anti hunting crowd paints you.

So then you wouldnt kill a woodchuck, rat, chipmunk, red squirrel, mouse, or any other pest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

If the mother coyote was protecting her young from a small child you better believe there is a threat. You talk of knowing all about these predators then say things that contradict something you said a day ago. I have had coyotes in my backyard along with a fox or 2 this past winter one coyote cornered my GSP in the middle of the night when she went out my weim came in and scared it off. I will kill everyone that comes in my lawn no matter what time of year when they pose a threat. Had them in my garbage 3 weeks ago via nighttime security cam.

You bleeding hearts can do what you want but the way he handled it I don't see a problem. Now what some of you were suggesting by filling the hole with water and drowning them out is asinine along with others saying just be near the hole will scare them off. I'm sorry me yelling at a yote in my backyard or my scent wasn't enough to keep the animal away and it didn't have babies at the time won't be enough for this guy. Get real people.

• Like 2

So then you wouldnt kill a woodchuck, rat, chipmunk, red squirrel, mouse, or any other pest.
There's a difference in killing out of necessity and just killing. And if it comes down to killing, then a quick painless death is the way to go, not burning, drowning or gassing. You seem to be forgetting, I hunt more than most, I kill often. I'm not PETA or anti hunting in the slightest, but I am for letting things live that don't NEED to be killed. If this mysterious coyote was causing trouble or killing livestock then measures could be taken, this animal was simply living in a hole, protected by game and fish laws. Would you condone me shooting deer out of season for eating in my garden?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisw said:

There's a difference in killing out of necessity and just killing. And if it comes down to killing, then a quick painless death is the way to go, not burning, drowning or gassing. You seem to be forgetting, I hunt more than most, I kill often. I'm not PETA or anti hunting in the slightest, but I am for letting things live that don't NEED to be killed. If this mysterious coyote was causing trouble or killing livestock then measures could be taken, this animal was simply living in a hole, protected by game and fish laws. Would you condone me shooting deer out of season for eating in my garden?

Im not forgetting anything. The deer living 40 yards from your back porch is not going to go after your kid or pets.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Some animals that would be considered pests are. Grey squirrels, coons, etc.

Then you would be legal to kill them. I can trap and kill coons that try to kill my chickens or try to live in my attic. You can kill Coyote or Fox that harass or kill live stock. You can’t however kill or poison them because you are scared by their presence. 

• Like 2

Some animals that would be considered pests are. Grey squirrels, coons, etc.
So if you consider an animal a pest you're going to disobey game laws and take matters into your own hands? Why not call and remedy the manner legally? If the DEC tells you to kill them then have at it, this wasn't the case...

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

So if you consider an animal a pest you're going to disobey game laws and take matters into your own hands? Why not call and remedy the manner legally? If the DEC tells you to kill them then have at it, this wasn't the case...

Im going to do what I see fit. Difference is, Im not going to post it on the internet.

• Like 5