Crispier Fried Chicken

DirtTime

I was watching The Chew this afternoon, and they gave a tip on how to get a crispier crunch, and keep the coating from separating from the meat. A little nervous to try this due to leaving uncovered raw chicken in the fridge over night, but I am still going to try it.

Marinade the chicken parts in buttermilk or a yogurt and water mix for two hours ( I will be skipping this part and sticking with the egg wash ).

Make your coating per usual ( flour, spices, etc ), and use cracker crumbs ( or panko, I always use panko if I have it the house ).

Do your dredging ( how ever many coats you prefer ).

Place the chicken on a rack inside a pan and let it sit over night in the fridge uncovered for the coating to dry.

Deep fry in your preferred method.

I will be trying this the next time I make fried chicken ( most likely within a week as I have oil that needs to be used up ), and will give the results.

Here's a recipe for the flour I like and use and everyone loves it. I don't measure for things like this, so I just do it.

Flour, sea salt, cracked black pepper, smoked paprika and regular paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flake, sage, a little cayenne, and some Italian seasoning. 

• Like 2

Why are you skipping the milk/yogurt marinade?  I think it may be important to keeping the breading on the chicken.  The lactose in the mix may do something to the flesh of the chicken.   Maybe try 1/2 a batch marinaded and 1/2/ batch without to see if there is a difference?

I was watching The Chew this afternoon, and they gave a tip on how to get a crispier crunch, and keep the coating from separating from the meat. A little nervous to try this due to leaving uncovered raw chicken in the fridge over night, but I am still going to try it.
Marinade the chicken parts in buttermilk or a yogurt and water mix for two hours ( I will be skipping this part and sticking with the egg wash ).
Make your coating per usual ( flour, spices, etc ), and use cracker crumbs ( or panko, I always use panko if I have it the house ).
Place the chicken on a rack inside a pan and let it sit over night in the fridge uncovered for the coating to dry.

I will be trying this the next time I make fried chicken ( most likely within a week as I have oil that needs to be used up ), and will give the results.

Here's a recipe for the flour I like and use and everyone loves it. I don't measure for things like this, so I just do it.
Flour, sea salt, cracked black pepper, smoked paprika and regular paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flake, sage, a little cayenne, and some Italian seasoning. 

Ok first off don’t skip the buttermilk it is very key in this recipe. It adds flavor and also helps the flour stick to the chicken. Also don’t use panko, and certainly not with this method. 1. It will soak up all the moisture in the fridge over night and will be a mushy mess. 2nd panko will burn in the oil way before bone in chicken is done cooking. Use the buttermilk and go straight from the milk to your seasoned flour. If you like a thick Breading go back into the milk and again back to the flour...

Yes leave in a very cold spot in your fridge over night... any questions drop me a message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 8:41 PM, Rob... said:

Was taught this way by a guy I served with that said about 4 words a year. He told me real fried chicken only came from the south and he was from Alabama, listen and learn he said. When a guy never talks about anything but gets excited about fried chicken you listen.

Ten years later I see no need to try any different way. Buttermilk isn't cheap though.

• Like 1

Posted the finished results in the what's for dinner thread. It was a bit crispier, but had no better flavor then my normal coating. was fun to test this out, and I may try some variations. 

Looks good but it seems you went a little deep with the time or the oil was a bit too hot. Chicken on the bone takes so long - the oil temp needs to be kept down a bit and Chicken temp should be room temp

Skin was crispy, meat was juicy. 

Stable temp for the oil in a deep fryer for this type of chicken is 350-375  for 17 minutes. The skin looks dark due to the spices I used. A lot of paprika, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and some sriracha seasoning, all red, making the coating dark. Then the light, garlic, onion powder, cracked black pepper, and sea salt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Skin was crispy, meat was juicy. 
Stable temp for the oil in a deep fryer for this type of chicken is 350-375  for 17 minutes. The skin looks dark due to the spices I used. A lot of paprika, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and some sriracha seasoning, all red, making the coating dark. Then the light, garlic, onion powder, cracked black pepper, and sea salt.

One other thing I do is add some dry seasoning and some Red Hot to the buttermilk to try and get some more flavor sucked in. Usually just fry the thighs - not sure why I don’t do the legs

• Like 1

Looks good but it seems you went a little deep with the time or the oil was a bit too hot. Chicken on the bone takes so long - the oil temp needs to be kept down a bit and Chicken temp should be room temp

You are 100% correct my friend his chicken did come out great but would have been even better if the oil was 25 degrees less.

You are 100% correct my friend his chicken did come out great but would have been even better if the oil was 25 degrees less.

Although I am not so sure I am “correct” considering the “red-ness” of his dry ingredients. He reported it not being burned - only appears that way because of spices in the flour. He would know better then us as the fortunate one who was able to eat it and all I could do was drool over the pics

• Like 3

I basically grew up in my grandparent's house. The stairway to the second floor had meat hanging in it all the time.  Chickens, various sausages, slabs of beef, pork and lamb... I don't remember them owning a refrigerator until the late 1960's. None of us ever died from food poisoning. There was work to do on the farm, you're not allowed to die.

• Like 1

When I was young, my mom used a milk and mayo recipe, and for crunchiness she used mashed up corn flake cereal in the flour. It was always cooked in a cast iron skillet. We didn't have it very often, and it was always drums. I tell you what, that had some crunch!

When she did finally get a deep fryer, is was for making homemade dough nuts. Funny, thinking back, I was about 12 when she got that fryer. Never had fried chicken again after that. Well, not made at home anyway.

There are tons of recipes out there for food. I rarely use a recipe! This was something I wanted to try. Next time, I think I will try and remember my moms recipe and give that a whirl.

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1