Off to the crick...

wooly

Still going through a bit of a lull with the furry critters so I decided to head down to the crick the other day to turn over a few stones durring last weeks nice weather. :)

Needless to say, photo oppertunities presented themself darn near every step of the way...even though most would have gone un-noticed unless I'd been looking for them in the first place. ;)

A nice little gulley-washer on the way with just the right amount of flow. I also liked all the tangled mess in this one.

151_filtered.jpg

On my way through the timber, I caught this little chipper spying on me from above. He was very content to just hang tight and watch me as well from his window.

049_filtered.jpg

A little further along I came upon this little Red Eft. I can never pass up a shot at these guys as common as they are. ;)

017_filtered-1.jpg

Now making my way across the fields above the crick, I didn't see a whole heck of a lot, But these out of place beauties caught my eye. A nice bleeding heart planted (transplanted) right along the edge.

:O

016_filtered.jpg

After that, things were kinda slow for a bit untill these 2 giant kamakazee skeeters came by and touched down not far from me. May have just been another case of air traffic control tower falling asleep at the terminal! :-*

019_filtered.jpg

Snapped a few shots of that mid air maylay before moving on to find another no-shoulders hiding on the hillside leading down to the crick.....just taking in the sun th way I was after a long week of crappy weather. He had a dislocated jaw, so he looks kinda goofy.

135_filtered-1.jpg

Finally at the crick...under the first rock I turn over is this Northern Spring Salamander. :O

I can count on one hand how many of these things I've ever seen and still have fingers leftover. A very cool find for me! 8) He was about 6-7 inches long and has found a new home in my pond outback now. Made my friggin day! :)

069_filtered.jpg

068_filtered.jpg

And finally... what I went looking for in the first place down here. A hostile craw-dad full of rage,lol. >:( It took a while to find one like him, but I love playing in the crick like I'm a kid again!

The weathers's not supposed to clear up here for the rest of the week, so it may be a while before I get to go out again.

003_filtered-3.jpg

010_filtered.jpg

005_filtered-2.jpg

That's all for this weeks installment! :)

Thank you so much guys!

I was worried my pics with no dead deer in them wouldn't see much attention. You all have proven yourselfs true stewards of the lands by taking the time to recognize these lil' suckers!

Enjoy them when you see them, and if you can't......, I 'm happy to bring them to ya from my perspective! :)

Next up is fawn day to get there pics taken! That's more time consuming than you may think, but it's all good to me! :)

Thanks for looking guys!

Hello Wooly...

Are you going out this weekend lookin' for fawns?  If so..... best of luck!  Can't wait to see some more of your photos (minus the snakes!).  ;)

I'll be back out Sunday weather permitting. I've been sneaking out between thunder bumpers this last week but no fawns yet....just a few new bugs and crabs here and there. ;)

Wow, nice pics, loved them.  What camera are you using again?

Nikon D-3000 with 70-300mm Sigma

Wooly,

What are you using for your macro's?  I use the Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro.  Even when I open it all the way to F32, the depth of view is still too small and light is hard to come by at F32.

Thanks

Wooly,

What are you using for your macro's?  I use the Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro.  Even when I open it all the way to F32, the depth of view is still too small and light is hard to come by at F32.

Thanks

Toruk-Makto,

I still use my Sigma 70-300 (F4-5.6)for the macros. It has a macro switch on the side that works in the 200-300mm range. On a good day it can focus in around 3 1/2-4ft. Depth of focus is extremely shallow with it even dialed all the way down to F32.

Anything outside 1-2 inches deeper than the focus point usually begins to get out of focus even at that aperture, so it really makes a difference what pose your subject is holding for the right shot.

I always struggle with light as the sensor in my camera is not good at handling that. Pick a good day to shoot, or at least make sure your target is perfectly still in poor light and use your tripod with the timer or remote shutter release.

Just a few tricks I learned work for me. Hope that helps ya out some.

Post some of your pics sometimes with the EXIF data. We can discuss some tips and tricks.

Hope that helps ya some.

Post some of your pics sometimes with the EXIF data. We can discuss some tips and tricks.

I think 100mm just isn't enough zoom to spread the depth of field.  Oh well.  I bought because it was also considered one of the best portrait lens.  I figure I might as well get some macro use out of it but honestly most of my trial runs have come up blurred so I haven't really used it.  Most of my pics are landscape shots and my travel pics.  I'll set up a site sometime this week and post the link so that I don't bore the rest of the hunting community.

Toruk- some awesome shots there bud! 8) 

Man your sceneries look sharp...nicely composed, and your zoo gallerie's pretty darn tight as well! Glad you posted the link. I'm looking forward to the updates! ;)  Good stuff!