Homemade Harrow?

I'm planning on using an old tire or a piece of old metal roofing but my question is what is used best to breakup the ground? Railroad spike? Rebar? Large bolts? All ideas and pictures are welcome. My strength is driving the atv in circles while taking a break or to for a frosty beverage. The creative thought process is my weakness.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:36 PM, corydd7 said:

I saw this when I googled homemade harrow nice. What type of bolts are those?

I would say anything smaller than 5/8" grade 5 would bend. That size may not give the digging ability of a smaller diameter without added weight.   I'd also want a larger O.D. washer. Where's an engineer  when you need them? LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 9:15 PM, Otto said:

REDNECK!!

B6454D53-9B36-4A54-9C52-18454FE1F82B.jpeg.d6e998ff463a3954d2545de9358b642a.jpeg

Ive seen guys use this style before. they run it over the soil a time or two. Then spread seed. Flip the tire over to the smooth side and drag it. That way it drags in the seed that isnt in the rows/trenches from the bolts already. and lightly covers it. Then you end up with what almost looks like row crops.  Seen many before and afters, works well. 

Easier to just build a planker.. just stack some 2x8 or larger width by how long you want

lap by 2 or 3 inches and spike together drag behind..breaks levels and smooths all in 1. You can add cement block for weight if you don't have it long enough to stay in contact with ground.. 5 planks or more  seem to work best

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1