How many of you "Register" your ATV?

All the info should be on the DEC site along with the forms you need to fill out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks John will check it out. A DEC Officer passed me while I was on my quad but kept going. This happened last Monday thought I was caught. Must have had other more important business to take care of at the time. Lucky for me.

I have mine registered and licensed . What ticks me off is the fact that it is still illegal to ride an ATV along the side of the road . So , what the hell is the license for !

Eddie ive had state troopers pass me while riding (no helmet) and never got in trouble

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I have my sport atv and utility registered in NY. I keep my sport one at my home in the city an I only registered it in case I want to sell it (transfer ownership). The cops and neighbors hate me but hey whats the worse that can happen? It gets impounded and you pay a fee to get it back (probably cheaper than paying insurance).

I have my sport atv and utility registered in NY. I keep my sport one at my home in the city an I only registered it in case I want to sell it (transfer ownership). The cops and neighbors hate me but hey whats the worse that can happen? It gets impounded and you pay a fee to get it back (probably cheaper than paying insurance).

Why do the neighbors and cops hate you? Do you actually ride the ATV in the city? (That's asking for it to be impounded). From what I have heard about vehicle impounding in NYC, it is definitely less expensive to carry insurance.

Seems like you have a place outside the city for your UTV, so why not keep both machines there?

When I looked at insurance, I was given two prices. One for storing the machine at my main residence on Long Island (in a locked garage). The other price was for storing it at a secondary rural upstate residence (also in a locked garage). The agent knew there is almost always someone at the downstate residence, but infrequently at the upstate residence. The cost to keep it upstate was about 1/4-1/3 of the cost.

Obviously, it was also much more convenient to store it where I can use it, as opposed to lugging it back and forth.

I live out in the country and don't even ride my atv on the street or country roads . The cops get picky at times as to whether or not to stop and ticket anyone . Heck one of the guys got ticketed with a licensed atv on Italy Valley Road and he was riding parallel to te road ad wearing a helmet .

I wonder what the deputy would have done if the atv wasn't registered . I still don't know how much the ticket cost him .

• Like 1

You never know...in same tone...I just found out a couple of seasons ago that my not putting a tag on my deer until I got it to the house to hang(mind you shot on my property and legal to do) was illegal once I put it into the bucket of the tractor and drove to the house...even tho still on my property...all it would have taken was a DEC officer to see me driving across the field...but...if I was dragging it with the same tractor...legal

Heck one of the guys got ticketed with a licensed tav on Italy Valley Road and he was riding parallel to the road ad wearing a helmet .

What was the ticket for? If he was riding off the road and presumably on private land, there is nothing to ticket for. Unless it was uninsured - insurance is required when not riding on your own land.

I wonder what the deputy would have done if the atv wasn't registered . I still don't know how much the ticket cost him .

That would have been a legit ticket. It is my understanding that the officer could have also confiscated the ATV in that situation.

I register and have insurance my ATV because I transport mine in the back of my truck. If you are going down the road and it come off your truck or trailer  and someone is behind you and they hit it you are in for some big problems if it is not ins. Your auto ins will not cover it and also if you are rear ended when you are transporting it  your auto ins will cover your ATV.

You never know...in same tone...I just found out a couple of seasons ago that my not putting a tag on my deer until I got it to the house to hang(mind you shot on my property and legal to do) was illegal once I put it into the bucket of the tractor and drove to the house...even tho still on my property...all it would have taken was a DEC officer to see me driving across the field...but...if I was dragging it with the same tractor...legal

that is not true any motorized equipment or to thew destination.  dragging it with the tractor is as illegal without the tag on it

page 22 second column number 5 dragged or physically carried to camp or transportation is available   a tractor is transportation.

Edited by bubba

What publication are you referencing? (i.e. p22)

I usually go by the website (which states the same):

Here's what you must do immediately upon killing a deer or bear:
  1. Fill in all information on the carcass tag and report tag with ink that won't erase.
  2. Detach the carcass tag from the report tag. Once filled in, the tag may not be altered.
  3. Keep the report tag, you will need it when you report your deer or bear.
  4. The month and date must also be cut or marked in ink on the margin of the carcass tag.
  5. You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available.
  6. Once you get to the camp or vehicle, attach the tag to the deer or bear immediately.
  7. Keep the tag attached to the carcass until it is cut up and prepared for consumption.

(I added the emphasis)

I'll agree that you would get a ticket for having an untagged carcass on an ATV or tractor, but I think it is BS and not in the spirit of the law. Then again, if you have a filled out tag (like you are supposed to) it isn't a big deal to attach it when you load it on the ATV or tractor.

The quote did state "dragged" by a tractor, so that MAY be permissible. 

Reminds me of a friend who was getting grief over a trailer. It is not legal to park a trailer on a street when it is not attached to a car. A code enforcement officer came by and was hassling a friend (who's trailer was still attached, although he planned to unattached to hook to a different vehicle). The code officer waited there to give the ticket as soon at it was disconnected.

The friend undid the hitch, but left a safety cable attached. He pointed it out the to officer, who couldn't give the ticket because it was technically still "attached" to the vehicle.

Sometimes the enforcement of the law loses sight of the intent. (And sometimes, people use the letter of the law to skirt the intent). 

Edited by jrm

I can only go by what a region 8 Sargent personally told me...and gosh you know me...I asked him the question 3 different ways and he said the same thing...as long as I was on my property not the road and it was not in the bucket.... but dragged from behind...and all paper work filled out...tag does not have to be on the deer....once in the bucket...yes it has to be attached to the deer..same thing for the ATV...on back rack tag needs to be attached...dragged on ground no...

s not in the bucket.... but dragged from behind

That seems to comply with #5 because it is being "dragged or physically carried" and not "transported." A technicality, and one that could be interpreted differently by different officers.

point where transportation is available  The tractor is available transportation whether dragged or in the bucket. Dragged also refers to physically dragged by human power.  Anytime it is attached to powerized vehicles the tag has to be on it.   I referenced the hunting and trapping guide you get with your license.

Edited by bubba

Usually as long as the tag is properly filled out before-hand and kept with you, dragging or hauling by any means w/o the tag attached will be acceptable, until you reach a place where the carcass tag is not likely to be damaged by said dragging or hauling.

This has been my experience. Other areas may be different.

• Like 1

What was the ticket for? If he was riding off the road and presumably on private land, there is nothing to ticket for. Unless it was uninsured - insurance is required when not riding on your own land.

The ATV was registered and insured . This was in Yates County . I didn't see what was written on the ticket but the guy showed it to a couple others . He said he was told that the shoulder of the road was part of the highway . Something like , private property starts 30' from the center of the road .

Maybe the Deputy was having a bad day .

• 1 month later...

The ATV was registered and insured . This was in Yates County . I didn't see what was written on the ticket but the guy showed it to a couple others . He said he was told that the shoulder of the road was part of the highway . Something like , private property starts 30' from the center of the road .

Maybe the Deputy was having a bad day .

yeah, I would think the shoulder of a roadway is considered part of the public highway / roadway........the shoulders are maintained by the county, state and or town.