What the hell is this miss mosh.....

One of the fields I hunt has always been corn or beans or even grass once.  What is this ......it's like wheat I am guessing in between grasses.  And when do you think they cut these cause it hasn't been yet and is up to my knees.  Also is this a good deer attractor?   I'm assuming they eat it and there is a cornfield connected I know I will see deer . But never saw a field like this.   Overgrow wheat with weeds?   

1st pic is an up close.  2nd is a full shot.  3rd is a clover field I hunt.  And my welcome today is the middle of the field if you zoom in , looked like a small buck with flag up. 

Got one of my hunting spots squared away today. Checked two stands for safety, clean shooting lanes and put up cams.  All set there for Oct 1.  Tomorrow my leased land with my buddy and our 10 stands there.   

rps20180728_163259.jpg

rps20180728_163341.jpg

rps20180728_163322.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Looks like quite a mix of previous plantings and just plain overgrown grass. IOW, a fallow field. Farmers will do that now and then to naturally put some nutrients back into the soil without having to spend money on fertilizer. My guess is that it will be disced or plowed under either this fall or early next year, and if I had to wager I'd bet on the fall before everything turns brown. Don't be surprised if you hear a tractor while you're in your stand. The tractor won't really bother the deer, but they may switch things around a bit if they've been feeding in that field and their browse has suddenly disappeared. On the flip-side the farmer may be planning on winter wheat  which could be good for late season hunting. Best of luck to you.

Edited by philoshop
  • Thanks 1

The wheat looking stuff appears to be in nice rows though. Maybe it was planted but not taken care of?   

The field next to it that is always clover is corn this year.  It's to my back in the second picture.  Deer always cut inside this little woodbine on the left and my stand is there and I can shoot into the treeline or out into field.  It's always a busy spot.  Just never saw anything like this in a field.

I'm not a farmer, and certainly no expert on crop rotation. The farmers I work for point toward whatever tractor I'll be driving that day and whatever implement I'll be pulling, then tell me which field to head toward. I'm an agricultural robot tractor driver but I pay attention and I've learned learned a few things along the way. :-)

Any chance that the land has changed hands recently? I see that quite a bit, where the land is in the sales process and just not worked for a season because the money dosn't know which way to flow. And the owner is rarely the guy who owns the tractors.

I'd put ten bucks on the table that the field will be tilled in the next two months (barring a land transfer agreement) and that little sprouts of winter wheat will be peaking out in November/December. That would make it a field to keep an eye on for the late season.

Again, best of luck to you.

29 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I'm not a farmer, and certainly no expert on crop rotation. The farmers I work for point toward whatever tractor I'll be driving that day and whatever implement I'll be pulling, then tell me which field to head toward. I'm an agricultural robot tractor driver but I pay attention and I've learned learned a few things along the way. :-)

Any chance that the land has changed hands recently? I see that quite a bit, where the land is in the sales process and just not worked for a season because the money dosn't know which way to flow. And the owner is rarely the guy who owns the tractors.

I'd put ten bucks on the table that the field will be tilled in the next two months (barring a land transfer agreement) and that little sprouts of winter wheat will be peaking out in November/December. That would make it a field to keep an eye on for the late season.

Again, best of luck to you.

Land is def owned by the same people cause I have permission from them to hunt etc.  They do lease out several fields to farmers though.   I think your right , would seem they would cut this before long .   Thanks

i don't think it's a planted for hay. you'd have more grasses and this looks like it was just left. it might be possible they tried to drill in some oats simply for errosion control but it didn't over take the weeds that well because of the draught like conditions we've had.  it may be intended for CRP. it might also be that the person planting the fields just didn't get to it in time.  anytime they plant something nitrogen fixing to prep for another crop  it's really the only thing there and they spray it to kill it down before they plow it under. this doesn't seem to be the case though.  fallow fields provide lots of tonnage for food. just don't have quite the draw.

• Like 1

I would say it was fallow, except of the oats.  We had a corn field that failed because it was heavy clay and too wet.  We plowed it under and spread manure and spoiled haylage on it.  Some of the haylage was from the previous year's new stock and had oats in it.  The oats sprouted and you could see exactly where I went with the manure spreader.  The field actually looked alot like these pictures.  

I'm not saying that's what happened here.  I'm just puzzled by the oats.  It looks like a fallow field, but by definition it isn't fallow if they planted oats.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

ok was told by the landowner that rents out land to local farmer, that it is Alfalfa, and the farmer came out with the combine to harvest it but there were so many weeds he made 2 passes and quit.  So they will probably till this under at some point, maybe fall or maybe spring.   Have a corn field bordering this field and hope they cut that soon and maybe this field will get more action.