IS THIS BAITING

Larry

It doesn't sound silly at all... I absolutely do lack the patience to sit in a tree and wait for a deer to walk by..whether or not real hunters have patience is a matter of opinion as well... if what I think is deer hunting is taken as an insult then oh well I guess you've been insulted... I don't base my opinions on whether or not someone agrees with them or not... and I never said that anyone that waits for deer is not a hunter "at all"... I said sitting in a treestand is waiting not hunting... not the same thing.. not sure what you think I'm running from I haven't changed my position at all... waiting is not hunting to me.. not sure which part you aren't understanding

Yeah, there is some subtle fine point of distinction that apparently I am not getting. Stand hunting is not hunting, but rather it is waiting. But that doesn't mean he is not hunting "at all" (whatever that means). So I guess it is hunting, a little bit but not actually but ......

All these years I always thought I was hunting, and now someone is telling me that because I don't do it the way he does that I am not hunting, but waiting. I guess when you think about it, that is kind of funny. It appears that I should have taken up some of that there "bow-walkin" stuff if I really wanted to be hunting.....lol. But anyway, I've probably got it right if I were to say that anyone who doesn't hunt your way is not a hunter....right? :huh:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there is a misunderstanding going on over the hunting/non hunting issue. Perhaps I can explain in a way that hopefully will be less offensive to the stand hunters. Hopefully anyway as i don't wish to offend.

Stand hunting, either tree or ground blind is all the thing today. It's only odd balls like antler or me who choose to stillhunt/stalk/ track. I don't know antler but I hunt in this way. I would guess that the vast majority of hunters do so from a stand and the rest of us are the odd ones; especuially when it comes to bow hunting. Hunting from a stand is mostly useing ones mental ability to determine stand placement and lets be honest we have deer beat by a mile in that department. If we throw in a food plot or bait the stand hunter doesn't even have to use his superior intillect to out smart the deer he need only feed them something they like. Stand hunting seems an extension of our modern, do everything quickly and EASILY lifestyle, brought to the forests. From the elevated tree stand the hunter is less likely to be detected when he moves to shoot and less likely to be winded in many cases too. Hidden in a modern ground blind the movement is undetectable. So unseen and unsmelled the stand hunter kills the deer that he has either figured correctly with his stand placement or he has tempted the hungry animal with bait or food plot. I've hunted from a stand before and did so in just this way. I did not use any of the animal instincts I was born with to hunt when I did so I just picked a spot and waited for the deer to show up so I could shoot them. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Edited by adirondackbushwhack

Yeah, there is some subtle fine point of distinction that apparently I am not getting. Stand hunting is not hunting, but rather it is waiting. But that doesn't mean he is not hunting "at all" (whatever that means). So I guess it is hunting, a little bit but not actually but ......

All these years I always thought I was hunting, and now someone is telling me that because I don't do it the way he does that I am not hunting, but waiting. I guess when you think about it, that is kind of funny. It appears that I should have taken up some of that there "bow-walkin" stuff if I really wanted to be hunting.....lol. But anyway, I've probably got it right if I were to say that anyone who doesn't hunt your way is not a hunter....right? huh.gif

Sorry... I can't make you understand what you refuse to understand..maybe if you quoted me correctly without changing my quote to what you think I said it might help.. I said what I said it was not subtle it was direct and to the point and a quite simple statement... you spin it anyway you want whatever makes you feel good ... if you're offended in some way.. tough s--t

Edited by nyantler

Still hunting/stalking/ tracking is a completely differtent thing. Getting out of the blind and doing things in this manner is stepping into the animals realm. Hunting in this manner requires one to get in touch with their animal instincts and get in touch with ones primitive roots. Yes we are still using our brain to hunt but here in the animals world we are FORCED to use other tools that some have long forgotten. Tools like moving silently and effortlessly through the woods so as to go undetected by the foersts inhabitants. Skills must be learned and and perfected so the hunter may travel though even the noisiest woods while still going unnoticed by game. In fact it requires skills or tricks that many who haven't employed may think impossible to work. Seneses must be keen and sharp at all times and complete concentration is neccisary at all times lest one make a mistake and spook his game. Quite unlike stand hunting where one might read or daydream while waiting for their deer to arrive.

Certainly still/stalk/tracking isn't nearly as easy as stand hunting but it has it's own rewards, rewards gained in the thrill of pitting ones own woods skills against those of his game. There is nothing quite like tracking down a nice buck and shooting him as he lies chewing his cud unaware that I am even there. Or walking up to bedded deer in dry crackly leaves because they didn't know I was a man when I walked up to them. Or even slipping silently along following a group of doe throughout their day hopeing that a buck comes in to check them. These are joys the stand hunter will never know IF he hunts only from a stand. Those of us who do still hunt/stalk/track beleive that if we hunted only from a stand we would be missing out on 90% of what hunting is all about. That is NOT to say we look down on stand hunting because to be honest there are times we all hunt this way even if rarely, but certainly once one hunts by still hunting/stalking/tracking methods most of their hunting desires are no longer fulfilled by stand hunting. Being a stealthy hunter and aquireing and useing skills and tricks never used in a stand is a pleasure for many of us and while Antler may have offended with his words I can understand him. I myself, and remember I have stand hunted with bow and rifle, have been guilty of thinking of stand hunting as mostly waiting for the deer to come along. That's not a dig it's just what it felt like to me as I sat there daydreaming or reading my book while waiting for the deer to arrive. Not so with still hunting/stalking/tracking. I'm too busy and concentraiting too hard to be feeling as if I'm waiting; I'm actively engaged in something at all times while hunting in this manner. I guess it's a hard thing for those who only stand hunt or those who haven't fully developed their still hunting/stalking/tracking skills to understand but honestly I'll never hunt over bait or food plot or sit in a stand of anytype all day, I'd be too bored and wouldn't enjoy myself and enjoyment after all is why I hunt.

So what I'm gathering from this is are earliest ancestors weren't hunting when they were waiting behind a rock or sitting in a tree? Come on. So if you're still hunting and the animal is walking your way. While you're still walking towards the animal, your hunting but as soon as you hide behind a tree your not? Nothing like trying to make yourself higher then the rest of us. I think it doesn't matter how you are pursuing and animal. As long as it's a legal method what difference does it make? Doesn't make one hunter better then the other. I've shot animals every way. The botom line is it's just as hard to outwit and animal in a tree, behind a rock, or following it's trail.

So what I'm gathering from this is are earliest ancestors weren't hunting when they were waiting behind a rock or sitting in a tree? Come on. So if you're still hunting and the animal is walking your way. While you're still walking towards the animal, your hunting but as soon as you hide behind a tree your not? Nothing like trying to make yourself higher then the rest of us. I think it doesn't matter how you are pursuing and animal. As long as it's a legal method what difference does it make? Doesn't make one hunter better then the other. I've shot animals every way. The botom line is it's just as hard to outwit and animal in a tree, behind a rock, or following it's trail.

If this is for my post I'd say you completely missed what I was saying.

How do you get that we think we're higher than anyone else because we choose not to wait in a treestand for our deer... where in here has anyone said that their hunting was better than anyone elses... some of you guys are like little kids... all that was said is that a few of us don't like waiting in a treestand for our deer to wander along... it doesn't feel like hunting to us... no one told anyone to stop sitting in treestands.. nobody said that you must hunt like us... all that stuff you fellas have concocted on your own

No I never said it was wrong... I said in my eyes it is questionable and something that doesn't seem sporting to me... maybe it depends on the motivation... if I was hunting to feed my family like the settlers... it might be necessary... if you are trying to contrlo populations.. again it might be necessary... I just am of the feeling that if you are really a "HUNTER" then that is what you should be doing... hunting... not laying in wait at a food source until the deer you want shows up... it's not wrong.. just not what I personally would call hunting... but that's just me... I don't find waiting to be very exciting... but hunting is.

For those who missed it.. this is how all this started... an answer to a question about if I thought baiting was wrong.. not stand hunting.. I'm not seeing where I said my way is better.. not seeing where I said stand hunters are not hunters at all...

Edited by nyantler

Sorry... I can't make you understand what you refuse to understand..maybe if you quoted me correctly without changing my quote to what you think I said it might help.. I said what I said it was not subtle it was direct and to the point and a quite simple statement... you spin it anyway you want whatever makes you feel good ... if you're offended in some way.. tough s--t

Well geez, don't be getting all upset. I wasn't the one that told you that you are not hunting. :rolleyes:

It appears that I am not the only one who has a problem with your remarks about stand hunting not being hunting. Did you notice that? It does have a certain ring of arrogance to it.

For those who missed it.. this is how all this started... an answer to a question about if I thought baiting was wrong.. not stand hunting.. I'm not seeing where I said my way is better.. not seeing where I said stand hunters are not hunters at all...

And apparently you missed where it all wound up. Let me refresh your memory:

Quote from pawle 76:

“Waiting is not hunting ? If you're in a treestand you are waiting. Hence people who hunt out of treestands are not hunters. That's exactly what you said.”

Your reply:

“Good Boy.. Thats exactly my opinion...you don't have to agree... thats ok...”

Let me emphasize the word "exactly". So, I don't know what all this spin and dancing is all about, but if your own words do not mean anything, then .......

"doesn't seem sporting to me" - this implies that the way you do things is more ethical then the way I do things. Hence your hunting is better then mine..

"if you are really a "HUNTER" then that is what you should be doing... hunting... not laying in wait." - this implies that what I choose to do isn't hunting. I'm not really a hunter. That's down right arrogant and you have no respect from me for that comment.

"doesn't seem sporting to me" - this implies that the way you do things is more ethical then the way I do things. Hence your hunting is better then mine..

"if you are really a "HUNTER" then that is what you should be doing... hunting... not laying in wait." - this implies that what I choose to do isn't hunting. I'm not really a hunter. That's down right arrogant and you have no respect from me for that comment.

you forgot the rest of the quote.. which was directed towards a question asked of me about baiting...not hunting from a stand

And apparently you missed where it all wound up. Let me refresh your memory:

Quote from pawle 76:

“Waiting is not hunting ? If you're in a treestand you are waiting. Hence people who hunt out of treestands are not hunters. That's exactly what you said.”

Your reply:

“Good Boy.. Thats exactly my opinion...you don't have to agree... thats ok...”

Let me emphasize the word "exactly". So, I don't know what all this spin and dancing is all about, but if your own words do not mean anything, then .......

I thought you were smart enough to notice sarcasm.. that was directed towards a fella that comes in and again miss quotes what I said and like you passes it off was not..as an exact quote.. which it is not.

Edited by nyantler

I thought you were smart enough to notice sarcasm.. that was directed towards a fella that comes in and again miss quotes what I said and like you passes it off was not..as an exact quote.. which it is not.

I'm smart enough to recognize someone dancing and spinning and running like crazy away from their own words. And I hope you are not trying to say that what I posted in the above reply was some sort of misquote because I simply copied and pasted your exact words. So let's stop the dancing and apply a little honesty here. Those are your words exactly and you know it. So don't be accusing me of mis-quoting.

I'm smart enough to recognize someone dancing and spinning and running like crazy away from their own words. And I hope you are not trying to say that what I posted in the above reply was some sort of misquote because I simply copied and pasted your exact words. So let's stop the dancing and apply a little honesty here. Those are your words exactly and you know it. So don't be accusing me of mis-quoting.

Like I said before .. I can't make you understand what you refuse to understand.. carry on with your nonsense it seems to amuse you.

Like I said before .. I can't make you understand what you refuse to understand.. carry on with your nonsense it seems to amuse you.

But what you should understand from this exchange is that when you type something for other people to read, don't be trying to run away from those words unless you have genuinely changed your mind. And above all, don't be accusing someone of mis-representing a quote when it is an exact copy and paste.

Now as far as I am concerned, that is the last bit of effort I am going to waste on this subject. Enough is enough.

Ok then I guess to finish off the discussion... I'll quote you.."That doesn't mean that I am going to run right out and start creating a food plot. In my mind, I still separate out that activity as something far removed from the actual act of hunting".. so I have to suppose that using your logic you must mean that you think that anyone creating a food plot must not be hunting seeing how food plots are far removed from hunting.. therefore food plotters must not be hunters in your mind... sounds kinda ridiculous huh?? Now lets see how fast you can run.

Edited by nyantler

Ok then I guess to finish off the discussion... I'll quote you.."That doesn't mean that I am going to run right out and start creating a food plot. In my mind, I still separate out that activity as something far removed from the actual act of hunting".. so I have to suppose that using your logic you must mean that you think that anyone creating a food plot must not be hunting seeing how food plots are far removed from hunting.. therefore food plotters must not be hunters in your mind... sounds kinda ridiculous huh?? Now lets see how fast you can run.

You really are getting desperate aren't you? look, I said enough is enough, and I meant it. You can carry this on for as long as it takes you to feel better about your performance on this thread, but do it with someone else.