IS THIS BAITING

Larry

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Larry, I think it is a good idea to knock down areas of corn within a field, (I'm assuming its not baiting).  You could make 'trails' leading to a cleared area.  I think it would be much more effective than just leaving it all up or knocking it all down as you leave the cover surrounding the food, but make it more accesable and enticing for eating.  I haven't done it as I don't own the fields I hunt, but have thought you could make some pretty awesome hunting setups with standing corn if planted/mowed in a way that gives a 'secure' gathering/eating place.

I would say it's up to the conservation officer who seen you doing it. He would go by the law, and that seems to be a very fine line. In this day in age, I think a ticket would be in order. Deer will eat standing corn right into February of the next year. If the corn is on the ground, and you get normal winter weather conditions,  the corn will mold in a short period , and not be worth as much to wildlife. I have grown corn for many years. If  their is enough , it stays in pretty good shape right in May to be picked. Otherwise, every creature out there will  consume it. Leave your corn standing, the deer will come in more, and it's alot more challenging shot come the  chance.

The farmer who rents one of the fields on the farm I hunt did knock down all the sweet corn this yr, as it got too late for harvest.  He wanted to disc and spread it but never got around to it. It was right across the road from my house and the deer pounded it all through January until it was probably all gone sometime in Feb, they ate everything.  There were days there were 30 + deer in this 11 acre field.  I definitely think corn is way more attractive to deer down than standing.  Deer come from all over to eat in a cut corn field, sometimes before the combine leaves the field.

I have also thought you could make some other killer food plot/bedding setups by getting creative planting corn with selective trails and clearings of other crops like soy or oat clearings.  Just seems like a quick way to improve a property in one year, although temporary.

Deer prefer corn on the ground to standing corn. I believe if it is not gathered into a pile or a specfic area its ok(don't quote me on that) I know they can get duck/goose huters in trouble if there is a spilled pile in a field (from loading waggons) In our climate corn is one of the best winter draws for game as long as there is enough to last the winter. Best ask your local dec officer as he would be the one giving you the ticket..

I can say there is nothing worse than hunting a standing corn in the fall. Usually every animal in the woods is in there pounding the corn. Its amazing how much noise 30 turkeys, 20 squirrel, and a herd of deer make trying to pull the corn off the stalk.

I prefer to hunt the trails/ staging area downwind of the standing cornfield... i like the game close , couldnt care less look across a field to see 20 deer feeding out of range.. id rather see one good one at about 15 yrds... field hunting is not for me personally..

The only definition of baiting that counts here in NYS is the DEC definition. And food plots are not defined as baiting. Sure, the differences between baiting and food plots is really kind of a fine legal point and the motives generally are roughly the same, but the DEC does make the distinction and that is all that matters.

I have a stand that is 18 feet in the air so all I do is knock down shooting lanes and leave a majority of the stalks standing.  I know that the deer prefer to eat off the ground but mature bucks seem more comfortable in the standing corn.  I've had ECO's and Troopers set this stand and neither have said a word about the knocked down corn.  But, I know another ECO who would write his own kid a ticket and next time I see him I will ask his opinion.

I think it depends on what part of hunting season, weather conditions, and hunting pressures, on where to set up at . We will not limit ourselves but,  try to make an educated guess on where to sit through the 9 week season. .  The deers habits change quite alot  in that time period.  Just knowing the different phases of the breeding season has raised our success rate.

Don't cut it down.  :O  Push it down in a circular pattern, then you can blame it on aliens.  ;)

That sounds like the best plan lol.

Seriously though, that isnt considered baiting as far as I know. Like has been said, if you gathered it into a pile, you are baiting, if you just brush hog it and leave it where it lays, you arent.

Is it illegally baiting... probably not... but I think that if you are doing it with the intention of attracting deer to the area to be killed... illegal or not.. there still might be a question of ethics... not sure why guys wouldn't just want to kill deer the old fashioned way... like maybe actually hunt them...

nyantler I'm with you I think food plots are a legal way to bait its not Habitat improvement.  The only difference between food plots and baiting is that it cost more to plant a food plot then buying  100lb of corn and its legal

Is it more ethical to push deer into waiting shooters or to pattern them and track them down by there hoof prints they cannot hide?  What's the difference?  We are all killing deer, some just have limited land to hunt, neighbors who shoot everything, and try to manage the best they can, so sometimes that includes food plots.

Is it illegally baiting... probably not... but I think that if you are doing it with the intention of attracting deer to the area to be killed... illegal or not.. there still might be a question of ethics... not sure why guys wouldn't just want to kill deer the old fashioned way... like maybe actually hunt them...

Antler, I think the debate is if legal or not and we know there is no law against food plots to attract deer. Just like any other topic that we respond to it's not illegal so therefore it's OK. I don't have any food plots on my property and don't intend to have any.

Dave

Is there really a difference between standing corn vs corn stalks that have been broken down of cut? The deer can reach both. The distribution is the same. I frankly don't see where simply cutting the stalks or bending them down makes any difference at all. Now, if the corn in a food plot was all cut and stacked over by a hunting blind in a pile, that might be a bit of a different situation as far as fitting the DEC's version of baiting....lol. Anyone considering doing that might want to run that by their local C.O.

Is it more ethical to push deer into waiting shooters or to pattern them and track them down by there hoof prints they cannot hide?  What's the difference?  We are all killing deer, some just have limited land to hunt, neighbors who shoot everything, and try to manage the best they can, so sometimes that includes food plots.

The key phrase there is "we're killing deer" not hunting deer... like I said.. to each his own. And the difference between food plots and tracking deer... LOL nevermind.. if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand anyway.

Antler, I think the debate is if legal or not and we know there is no law against food plots to attract deer. Just like any other topic that we respond to it's not illegal so therefore it's OK. I don't have any food plots on my property and don't intend to have any.

Dave

I think you misread my post.. Illegal or not.. was the start of the next sentence.. meaning whether the question posed is illegal or not there is still the question of whether its ethical... if your conscience doesn't bother you and its legal.. have at it...

Dave

I think you misread my post.. Illegal or not.. was the start of the next sentence.. meaning whether the question posed is illegal or not there is still the question of whether its ethical... if your conscience doesn't bother you and its legal.. have at it...

You can't have it both ways. If it's legal to have food plots then why is it unethical? If something is legal according to the DEC then they put us in an unethical position according to you. Why is something legal and at the same time unethical according to some hunters?

Dave