IS THIS BAITING

Larry

Is this baiting if you plant an acre of corn for a food plot? Then in October cut it down and leave it in the field cobs and all. If it’s not baiting then why not and if it is baiting then why.

If you throw the cobs there it is baiting- if all of the process is mechanical it is not- and that was answered by someone from the DEC

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh ya one more thing if your gonna plant something plant

a plot buy some foodplot blends from a foodplot company

whitetail institute,biologic etc.Give the deer some nutritional

supplement after all your havesting them so why not help thier

well being at the same time.Example if you shoot 2 deer and

20 or 30 deer use your plots then you have helped a whole

herd.Plant a foodplot source that comes back yr after yr.I

just feel if your gonna use resources to pull deer in isn't it

fair to give them something to benefit the whole herd I've

done it for 20 to 25 yrs and the deer in area are thriving I had

a hunter on the property last yr shoot a fawn doe that weighed

95 pounds my son took a yearling doe that dressed.over 130.

check out my post on the what hunting means to me thread and

you might understand where I am coming from.Its great stuff and it

works.they do it all over the country now and its still very new so if your

young or really want to improve your hunting and your deer herd

take the time make the effort and you will see.

"doesn't seem sporting to me" - this implies that the way you do things is more ethical then the way I do things. Hence your hunting is better then mine..

"if you are really a "HUNTER" then that is what you should be doing... hunting... not laying in wait." - this implies that what I choose to do isn't hunting. I'm not really a hunter. That's down right arrogant and you have no respect from me for that comment.

I was just thinking about this on another thread about shooting pheasants on the ground. Some would consider it not sportsman like. Others say if your gonna eat it, why let it fly away..I actualy can somewhat agree with both points, although I lean to shooting them on the ground, as it gets rid of the runners, and you are out there to bag game. But....That is a personal decision.

Some as nyantler has said(or implied or whatever), that shooting deer around food plots is unsportsman like. And that is true. In his eyes. I can not take away from that, no matter what I say. That is an opinion, and his ethical stance. No problem with it.

On the other side of the coin,I have recently planted some food plots myself. It has opened up a whole new facet of....I was going to say hunting, but it is more than that. Recreation? Fun? Wildlife preservation? Ha, I dont know...But it is fun, and I hope to shoot a deer off them, around them, whatever. And I believe it will help the deer in my area..

The bottom line? We have to stick together as hunters.

My attitudes toward hunting are quite different from many of today's hunters. That doesn't mean I am right and they are wrong.

Oh Yea ole Docteur of DOOM! seems like i can clearly remember you telling many a poster on this site about how they are WRONG on many a subject ??? i like the way you play yourself to be this open minded live and let live kinda hunter when in fact you are nothing more than a "it's my way or the highway" hard head. and the anti hunting hate club you belong to "NEW YORK Bowhunters inc proves that.

I jusy got off the phone with DEC in Newpaltz i had some ?s myself about feeding wildlife its ok to have and use bird feeders but we cant feed or bait any game so i asked them if i planted a food sorce is this not the same thing they said no growing is not the same as actually baiting so next year im going to plant as much as i want

Nyantler, not by me, that's for sure....but I would think some of u boys upstate or west might have some on the farms? Anyway, what I wanted to get across was this.....is a 300 yard shot really hunting? Seems more like shooting to me........I guess we all have different views.

Guys out west consistantly shoot animals at 300 yards or better with scopes... I'm guessing they might think its still hunting.. I'm not a long distance guy and i always shoot open sights ...so I think 300 yards is a bit too far...I like up close and personal thats more like hunting to me.

But now if you were in the dacks or out in western NY where i think there is a lot of farm land and you tracked this deer for a mile or two and "hunted it" and were presented with a 300 yrd shot, that would be shooting or hunting?

It gets kind of tough when you try to define hunting with distance. Exactly where do you choose to draw the line? Where does the next guy choose to draw the line. That sort of criteria seems to be a bit too subjective. However, I certainly understand the temptation to define hunting in personal subjective terms. I do it all the time.....Just ask me about canned hunts......lol.

But now if you were in the dacks or out in western NY where i think there is a lot of farm land and you tracked this deer for a mile or two and "hunted it" and were presented with a 300 yrd shot, that would be shooting or hunting?

Well I'm not going to be shooting at 300 yards.. so I guess I'm still hunting.. or at least I better be if I'm going to get closer..lol

Hunting is what YOU think it is... everyone defines experiences differently...what's hunting to me .. may not be to someone else... what's ethical to me may not be to someone else.. that's just how it is.

I personally don't care what others think about my definition of hunting nor do I care about theirs.

Edited by nyantler

Agreed...."hunting" is subjective and is defined by the individual themselves. Especially when you start looking at areas in which people hunt. I.e. I would love to still hunt or track a deer for miles...but the reality of it is that by me the only real option is sitting in a well placed stand as the tracts of land don't allow it.

Agreed...."hunting" is subjective and is defined by the individual themselves. Especially when you start looking at areas in which people hunt. I.e. I would love to still hunt or track a deer for miles...but the reality of it is that by me the only real option is sitting in a well placed stand as the tracts of land don't allow it.

When I was younger I had the same experiences with limited land to hunt and did a lot of stand hunting myself... I got to hate it so much that I made it a point to do anything necessary to find more land... The Adirondacks and some larger tracts of state land was the answer... as I got older I was able to aquire through purchase, lease or permission 1000's of acres to hunt... I now has ample land to hunt.. which I share with many of my friends so that they have the opportunity if they so choose to hunt some other way than just a treestand...

If you can't shoot 300 yards, dont bother ever going out west for Muley's and Antelopes. Most shots out there average 200+yards, ask any outfitter.

Even westchester County has ranges with 200 yard targets!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld