Hunting Videos, What do you like?

landtracdeerhunter

What are your views on hunting videos?  Are they worth the money?  Deer and turkey videos are my favorite. I like the Drury productions. Dream Season, Whitetail  Madness, Wild & Fair Chase , and Longbeard Madness. Own'em all. Second best, Monster Bucks. I would like to see more productions from New York. The big names don't bother much.  We have some of the best deer and turkey hunting in the country. This would also promote more management practices along with  helping state revenues.

I like a lot of the old ones from the 80's early 90's. Whitetail visions (one of the best bowhunting instructional video's i've seen) october whitetails and october whitetails 2, and the Quest series (produced mostly in pa.) neither series are about taking just whitetails but actually teach/instruct about setting stands,scouting,hunting methods,and yes way back then food plots. And in the process you get to see some great hunts/misses and a little comic relief. just seems the new videos are just "watch me kill a big buck" i'll stick with the older ones....

I like a lot of the old ones from the 80's early 90's. Whitetail visions (one of the best bowhunting instructional video's i've seen) october whitetails and october whitetails 2, and the Quest series (produced mostly in pa.) neither series are about taking just whitetails but actually teach/instruct about setting stands,scouting,hunting methods,and yes way back then food plots. And in the process you get to see some great hunts/misses and a little comic relief. just seems the new videos are just "watch me kill a big buck" i'll stick with the older ones....

Gman,

I have the whole series of Bowhunting October whitetails, Barry or Gene Wensel is in it. These go back to the 80's and were pretty good for that time. Fun watching them, funny thing the deer don't change over time. They still look and act the same. We humans are the one's changing, spending all kinds of money on new products,  trying to figure out that animal that makes our heart pump!

Burt,  Have you ever seen the whitetail visions tape tricking whiteteil bucks.. its great! food plots,tying down wire to make a fence crossing..these guy were doing this stuff 30 years ago!! and now its all new?? lol.. like i said some of the most informative videos i've seen!

I  have a copy of Bowhunting October Whitetails with the Wensels. It was the best video back then and as far as I am concerned, there has been nothing that I have seen since that even comes close since. I still pull that out and enjoy it every few years.

Burt,  Have you ever seen the whitetail visions tape tricking whiteteil bucks.. its great! food plots,tying down wire to make a fence crossing..these guy were doing this stuff 30 years ago!! and now its all new?? lol.. like i said some of the most informative videos i've seen!

I have it!!!!

The Fitzgeralds are very good . They are top notch bowhunters.  Their form of hunting is more realistic to how it really happens in the woods.  Have alot of their viewings.  Missed a seminar a few years ago, as tickets sold out rapidly.  People that were lucky enough to go, said it is was great. 

• 5 weeks later...

I love some of the earlier videos as well. I have bowhunting October Whitetails 1 & 2, love the Benoit videos and actually really like the first season of Primetime Bucks 1 from Hunter's Specialties. They were more informative rather than just stack em and whack em. I had all the Fitzgerald vhs tapes and a bunch of others too, over 60, that I regretfully parted ways with. Wish I hadn't.

I'm shooting season 2 of Huntography this fall....Please tell me what you want me to capture on film, content wise like how-to stuff and stories, and I'll do my best for you.

Here's a look at my schedule. http://www.huntography.com/2011-huntographers/

Thanks all!

Rudy

I'm shooting season 2 of Huntography this fall....Please tell me what you want me to capture on film, content wise like how-to stuff and stories, and I'll do my best for you.

Being from NY, I of course would like to see more hunts based in NY.  Most DVD's I've seen are based in Texas, Georgia, or the midwest or western states.  Also, if you do a search for deer, waterfowl, or coyote hunting you get a million hits.  If you do a search for many of the over looked species like coons, squirrel, or woodchucks you'll find none.  Apparently there isn't a market for it but then again, there isn't any competition either.

Family hunting is always a winner in my book.  Being able to hunt with daughters, sons, moms, dads, grand moms, and grand dads. Not just to go out to harvest a deer, but to actually capture the heart of family hunting.  Coming away with a family outing like no other, bad times as well as good.  The feeling is really something to experience. ( Coming away with a nice trophy is an added bonus too.)

I'm all about family. Last seasons dvd includes a mother daughter hunt. It was the first deer hunt for both of them. They told me they loved seeing their hunting heritage captured on film.

This season I have more families lined up. One family from Wisconsin's motto is, "A family of 4 that hunts together, stays together." They have never been filmed before and are excited to be on camera. I'm excited to capture their deer camp. If they get a deer or not, it's the conversations and stories that they share that make what I capture special.

I'll focus more on this for you so i can really get the "reality" of hunting on dvd.

Thank you Landtracdeerhunter!

Rudy

I had to chime in on this topic.  We are a NY based video group with team members from across the state.  95% of our hunting will take place right here in NY or on the NY/PA border for those members who have permission/properties in both states.  We are truly passionate with our video production and quality is growing every day.  Like us, there are a number of other small groups out there as well that we hope to help showcase their videos from the North East as well on a new website we started called www.nehuntingtv.com

In our video's, our goal is to portray our hard work and determination to score on a mature animals in New York along side helping to manage a healthy heard. 

Check our website out at www.venaticoutdoors.com or shoot us a PM here if you have any questions or suggestions on our videos. 

don't know about coyotes but whitetail visions(maker of october whitetails) also had  "master of the black bear", and a tips and techniques series.. all were outstanding...nothing has come close since. Tinks had a few good informative videos out on habits, and quest video had some good tips in their videos as well, i believe quest was made in pa. All of the mentiond videos were from 80's, early 90's and are not the watch me shoot and buy this that are the only ones it seems comercially mass produced today.

So exactly when was it that video-makers decided that their product should not inform and educate? They don't even do a decent job of entertaining anymore. It seems that at some point they gave up on that mission and have simply become redundant info-mercials that are competing with each other to show what it's like to hunt a deer farm with an emphasis toward cramming as much commercial stuff in as possible. There used to be some quality videos made a few decades ago, but the mission seems to have shifted as a mere show-case of manicured and groomed trophy deer. There is no creativity or imagination used in the production anymore. The story-line is so predictable that it is burned into our minds through repetition. Frankly, I can't watch a whole lot of that stuff anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

So exactly when was it that video-makers decided that their product should not inform and educate?

Sadly, I heard from some people in the business, if you don't get the kill on camera, you don't have a show or DVD. When I heard that, something didn't sit well with me. Surely people watching care more about just the kill.

It seems that show producers have lost touch with reality. Their market for sales is limited.  They think people that view their product, want to see this type of deer hype.  Oh yes, they have to promote their sponsors. It's big bussiness, and that has fallen in the way of how it really is in the outdoors.