Lease land

Just Lucky

14 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I am thinking of leasing some land from a timber company. I spent the weekend checking it out. Seen deer while on the land.

The property was logged 2 or 3 years ago. It looks promising. 

Just wondering if others have leased land and how it worked out. Pros, and cons, thanks

i lease and its been great.  Dont have to pay taxes or keep up on repairs, just hunt it. But i also lease from a great guy so that goes a lonnnggg way to it working out.   Limitations are that you can't do whatever you want with land but thats ok.  Esp if they also lease to a farmer for AG then you got it made - already have food plots too.  ONe downside to my lease land was a stipulation that a fellow that has duck hunted there for years still does.  So for a week in early Oct the weekend he will be there duck hunting and then maybe a weekend late november.  But for the price and it was an upfront stipulation - I can live with it for sure.  

34 minutes ago, G-Man said:

the downfall in timber company lands is they usually only want 1 year lease.. i would want multi year in contract..  

It's a 3 year lease agreement.  I can use all year long. Can camp, put camper on it use wheeler. My understanding is use as my own, but do not have exact details.

I am thinking of leasing some land from a timber company. I spent the weekend checking it out. Seen deer while on the land.
The property was logged 2 or 3 years ago. It looks promising. 
Just wondering if others have leased land and how it worked out. Pros, and cons, thanks

Depends on size and numbers of other hunters. We leased once to a group of 4 and they ended up breaking up because 1 guy was on the property every day. Get all the details first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We lost a lease this year after being  on it for 3 years. One of  the  bad things about leasing is doing a bunch of work and then loosing it. We had full use and could basically do what ever we wanted. Just scored a new lease  yesterday and need to get all the details, but looks promising. Leasing is a good option for guys that have a little extra money but do not want to go in debt for land.. 

• Like 1

We lease from a timber company for the last 10ish years and it has worked out pretty well. Treat the land as your own as long as you don't damage or take down any living trees. We also can only use tree stands that are not permanent, which isn't a big deal. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Depends on size and numbers of other hunters. We leased once to a group of 4 and they ended up breaking up because 1 guy was on the property every day. Get all the details first

I will be the only one leasing the property. Its a 50 acre piece. I have several pieces of land currently that I have permission to hunt but things can change without notice.

That is why I am looking at leasing. I figure on leasing alone cause I find people are interested till its time to pay.

The piece I am looking at I learned how to hunt on 25 years ago. I grew up next door to it. We as kids use to build forts with the dead wood laying around. While up there it brought back memories.

• Like 4

I leased with two other guys three years or so ago and didn’t love it. The guys were fine(1 was barely there and the other is my best friend/regular hunting partner who has since purchased land of his own).
Make sure you understand your neighbors and the area. We were told by the owner that bird hunting was fine and the neighbors don’t care and no one ever drives down the road so we can hunt the fields right by the road. None of those statements were wrong but they weren’t really right either. The neighbors understood we had the right but pleaded to not bird hunt because the noise of gunfire scared the kids; the road had little car traffic...but did seem to host road races for cyclists. Could we hunt as we wanted...I guess but it wasn’t as comfortable as we were sold.
We always felt like we were trespassing and were left wondering if we were allowed to do what we were paying to do.
Glad my buddy bought the land he did and treats me like a part owner.
Owning your own land is such a treat