NRA Losing Money

Fake news.  The NRA filed a suit against Cuomo because he used state agencies to single out the NRA's Carry Guard insurance claiming it is an illegal product.  He claims it pays for the legal bills of murderers.  Carry Guard pays the legal bills a CCW holder will incur after a justified self defense shooting.  Nothing illegal about it.

Cuomo didn't stop there though.  He pressured any business with a site in NY state that currently does business with the NRA, to stop.  That means insurance and banking firms among others.  That makes it very hard for the NRA to do business and continue to raise funds.

None of this has affected the NRA at this point, but it could if Cuomo's racketeering policies are allowed to stand.  The NRA is going to win this lawsuit and the taxpayers of NY are going to have to pick up the huge legal tab Cuomo is going to saddle them with in his misguided zeal to remove your right to self defense.

He's pandering to his leftist base at your expense.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 5

I haven't dug up the docket sheet or read the pleadings, but from the articles I've read, this is my take on it.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction.  In order to seek an injunction, you have to allege "irreparable harm".  That means, if you are asking the court to order someone to do (or not do) something, you have to show that the issue will not be capable of satisfactory resolution by "mere money."  So, for example, you have a beautiful old maple tree on your property, and your neighbor thinks it's on his property, and shows up with a chain saw to cut it down.  You ask for an injunction stopping him from doing that.  You have to allege that the tree is something that cannot be "replaced" by a money judgment later - it is a fundamental part of your property.  So the judge enters the injunction.  (You can get a "preliminary injunction", like now, if you can show irreparable harm and then the issue can be fully hashed out later.)

So, the NRA wants an injunction blocking Cuomo and his Communist Government from doing all those things.  They have to allege irreparable harm.  They do so.  They claim it is preventing them from doing business, raising funds, etc.  The media get ahold of this, and with Joy in Their Demented Hearts, report the The NRA Is Dying.  The NRA can't come out and publicly say, "No no no, we're fine, this is just what we have to allege in court to get we need."  Cause then, the media (and the Cuomo lawyers) will run to the court and say "See, it was a lie!  There's no irreparable harm!"  

So that's my take.  The NRA ain't goin' anywhere.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Prince Andy refuses to believe that Heller is the law of the land. We so need to vote him out of office and replace him with someone that represents us!

What I really want to know is WTF are the republicans doing this election to try to unseat Cuomo?  I haven't seen one freaking ad on TV for the republican candidates while Cuomo has flooded the airwaves with commercials about himself.  Looks like they have completely thrown in the towel and quit and went home.  Unbelievable.  I know it won't be easy to unseat that idiot, but come on, why are they just giving up??  Cuomo is the epitome of a tyrant, and the republicans are just handing him another 4 years.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jmark said:

I haven't dug up the docket sheet or read the pleadings, but from the articles I've read, this is my take on it.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction.  In order to seek an injunction, you have to allege "irreparable harm".  That means, if you are asking the court to order someone to do (or not do) something, you have to show that the issue will not be capable of satisfactory resolution by "mere money."  So, for example, you have a beautiful old maple tree on your property, and your neighbor thinks it's on his property, and shows up with a chain saw to cut it down.  You ask for an injunction stopping him from doing that.  You have to allege that the tree is something that cannot be "replaced" by a money judgment later - it is a fundamental part of your property.  So the judge enters the injunction.  (You can get a "preliminary injunction", like now, if you can show irreparable harm and then the issue can be fully hashed out later.)

So, the NRA wants an injunction blocking Cuomo and his Communist Government from doing all those things.  They have to allege irreparable harm.  They do so.  They claim it is preventing them from doing business, raising funds, etc.  The media get ahold of this, and with Joy in Their Demented Hearts, report the The NRA Is Dying.  The NRA can't come out and publicly say, "No no no, we're fine, this is just what we have to allege in court to get we need."  Cause then, the media (and the Cuomo lawyers) will run to the court and say "See, it was a lie!  There's no irreparable harm!"  

So that's my take.  The NRA ain't goin' anywhere.

An excellent synopsis, jmark!!

14 minutes ago, steve863 said:

What I really want to know is WTF are the republicans doing this election to try to unseat Cuomo?  I haven't seen one freaking ad on TV for the republican candidates while Cuomo has flooded the airwaves with commercials about himself.  Looks like they have completely thrown in the towel and quit and went home.  Unbelievable.  I know it won't be easy to unseat that idiot, but come on, why are they just giving up??  Cuomo is the epitome of a tyrant, and the republicans are just handing him another 4 years.

The RNC has decided that NYS is a lost cause, and not worth spending money on. Sad, but true. Mobilize your friends and neighbors and we can turn it around. It's the only way out of this mess.

12 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The RNC has decided that NYS is a lost cause, and not worth spending money on. Sad, but true. Mobilize your friends and neighbors and we can turn it around. It's the only way out of this mess.

Yep.  The Dems have 5.7 million registered voters in NY, the Repubs only 2.7.  Barry the Betrayer carried NY with 62% in 2008.  In 2016, it was 59% Hellary, 36% Trump (and 1.4% for that idiot Jill Stein).  It's pretty much hopeless.  

The better approach would probably be to do what the Californicators are trying to do - break the state in two: South NY and North NY.  Draw the line at the norther border of Westchester County.  That would fix it. 

48 minutes ago, jmark said:

Yep.  The Dems have 5.7 million registered voters in NY, the Repubs only 2.7.  Barry the Betrayer carried NY with 62% in 2008.  In 2016, it was 59% Hellary, 36% Trump (and 1.4% for that idiot Jill Stein).  It's pretty much hopeless.  

The better approach would probably be to do what the Californicators are trying to do - break the state in two: South NY and North NY.  Draw the line at the norther border of Westchester County.  That would fix it. 

So you are also throwing in the towel and giving up?  You know that the state won't be breaking up anytime soon, so we'll probably all be dead before that happens.

I don't buy your theory that there are 5.7 million democrats and that it's hopeless.  In the last gubernatorial election only 3.6 million in total voted and Cuomo won by only 500,000 votes.  You take those 2.7 confirmed republicans and get them ALL out to vote, and you will have a republican as governor.  Don't matter how NYC and surrounding areas vote either.  The turnout down there is generally low and could be surmounted if everyone upstate votes.  Just giving up and giving Cuomo a third term without at least a good fight is as lame as it gets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_gubernatorial_election,_2014

• Like 1

That's the key to NY elections.  Everyone who wants Cuomo out of office HAS to vote.  I get really frustrated with those who spew a defeatist attitude about the city controlling everything.  It only happens when upstate NY ALLOWS them to do it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rattler said:

That's the key to NY elections.  Everyone who wants Cuomo out of office HAS to vote.  I get really frustrated with those who spew a defeatist attitude about the city controlling everything.  It only happens when upstate NY ALLOWS them to do it.

I remember specifically saying these exact words during the gubernatorial election.  If people outside of nyc stopped talking and actually voted, Astorino COULD have won. Most likely would have won. 

• Like 1

I hope that no one got the wrong impression and thought that I was saying NYS is a "lost cause". My observation was that the RNC and POTUS Trump's own strategists don't consider the state worthy of vast resources. We are the resources. It's up to us. The President only has just so much time to spend campaigning, and while I would love to see him fire up a rally in Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse... it's a tough sell in a state that can't turn out it's own people come election time. And it's not that people don't care, it's that we/they tend to work hard for a living. The cows and the crops don't care if it's election day. Face it, we're flyover country. I did the best I could to help out by working dawn to 9 PM on November 8, 2016 getting people to the voting booths. It was a long day.

21 hours ago, steve863 said:

What I really want to know is WTF are the republicans doing this election to try to unseat Cuomo? 

Nothing! NYS has a swamp of its own and just like the federal govt. the Republicans seem to have plenty of representation in that population of swamp dwellers. They are all buddies, and nobody wants to upset the balance or all the goodies that are coming their way.

• Like 3

"One gets the disquieting sense Republicans are either rank cynics who believe being the lesser of two really odious evils is good enough to maintain their congressional majority absent an all-out effort to do so, or insufferable hypocrites willing to lose that majority as a "reasonable" trade-off for reinstating the status quo upended by Trump's America First agenda. And if GOP losses in November enable an impeachment-addicted Democrat Party to upend Trump's presidency as well.

You have to break a few nationalist, patriotic eggs to remake a globalist, Ruling Class omelette."

Mark Alexander

Yes, it all a matter of numbers. It is easy to say that all we have to do is to get a bigger percentage of Republicans to vote than the Dems (who have a prohibitive majority) but no one really knows how to do that.