Logging Time

Zag

On 8/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, G-Man said:

What did you plant and if it was a grain the birds will pick it up unless its drilled, broadcast rates are usually higher than drilled just for that reason, crows here pick a lot of corn that's just emerging as do geese. Winter grains get.hit by all manner of birds including Turkey if not drilled 

Yeah that's exactly what it was, I just didn't anticipate that much loss, but it sat bare no rain for over a week. Next yr I'll be sure to bump up the seed I broadcast.

One of the interesting things I remember when I had the property logged, was people fearing how the activity would spook off the deer. I lost the pic's but one trail cam revealed the skidder passing by in the day and deer passing by at night, less than 12 hrs apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2019 at 8:07 PM, Fantail said:

One of the interesting things I remember when I had the property logged, was people fearing how the activity would spook off the deer. I lost the pic's but one trail cam revealed the skidder passing by in the day and deer passing by at night, less than 12 hrs apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The logger who did ours said he's seen deer follow him as he's cutting trees 

One of the harsher winters, I worked as a feller. We had 2' if snow and it had been below zero for 2 weeks.. the deer would step  out of the way of the skidder by 10 -30 yds, then get right back on the trail.. they loved us..Making nice open trails through their  woods..1st tree of the day  they would be on the tree top before I had the 2nd tree down ..lol..

Within a week I believe every deer within earshot was in that woods..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Looking darn good!!

Thanks Larry, it's really filling in good. It looks likes it belongs there and has been there. It's amazing the difference since the end of july. Glad I left a few hemlocks and some others standing to give it a little character. And heck the deer seem to be enjoying the heck out of it as much as I am!!

• Like 1

Checked plot and cams for the last time yesterday. Both looked good and now that the plot has been growing for 2 months you can really see a difference inside the utilization fence. I didn't want to leave sent behind but from a distance I'd say the plot was 2-3 taller in the plot, they have been working the plot pretty hard.