Logging Time

Zag

Well early this spring we decided to have half the property logged. Well they finally showed up just over a week ago to get started. I figured I'd post some pics as I get up each weekend to check it out. Part of the deal was for them to clear out about 1-2 acres so I can plant a plot in that will benefit the area greatly. I'm excited to see how this section hunts this fall as they plan on being done in the next week or two.

KIMG0227.JPG

KIMG0230.JPG

KIMG0231.JPG

• Like 6

Just now, Single_shot said:

So easy to do food plots after they timber. Just went through it myself. emoji106.png

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I'm excited, they are going to doze out the stumps when they clean up the trails. They will also be planting the logging roads and we picked up a new compact jh with a brush hog to mow the trails

Congratulations to you on a wise decision. You won't believe the difference in the wildlife after removing some mature timber. And you'll probably even pocket a few dollars in the process if there is some valuable hardwood. Sounds like you have a good guy doing the work as well. All the best to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

my neighbor is just finishing a near clear cut of about 30 acres. should be done before bow season this sat hopefully if rain doesnt screw him up if not by mid week . looking forward to the regrowth and new patterns that will emerge

That would be neat to see now and again in a few yrs.

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

Congratulations to you on a wise decision. You won't believe the difference in the wildlife after removing some mature timber. And you'll probably even pocket a few dollars in the process if there is some valuable hardwood. Sounds like you have a good guy doing the work as well. All the best to you.

Price was better than I expected especially since we just did a select cut and only had them look at half the property. I'm excited to see how it hunts the entire season for sure 

23 minutes ago, zag said:

Price was better than I expected especially since we just did a select cut and only had them look at half the property. I'm excited to see how it hunts the entire season for sure 

You'll see a marginal difference in deer activity this fall. But next year, with all the new growth, and a food plot, will be a Deer Bonanza!!! Logging is so beneficial to so many critters! Sounds like you have a top notch logger too. Perfect! :good:

• Like 2

I hate to insert politics into this, but why don't the tree-huggers in California (and the western states in general) want to stop the wildfires they keep having. Too much dead wood on the ground and too much old standing timber. Thin that crap out and watch the forest thrive. That's exactly what Mother Nature is doing, but if people did it no one would lose their lives or their properties in the process. That owl they think they're protecting is as dead when it's burned to a crisp as it is if some guy with a saw cuts down it's nesting tree. It can fly away and find another tree for it's nest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zag said:

That would be neat to see now and again in a few yrs.

ive logged my.own property 3x in 25 years select cuts 2x and a firewood undesirable harvest.  it makes a huge difference in putting food in reach of game. best thing to do for a woods

• Like 1

My cousin is a retired wildfire Chief/Marshall in southern Texas. San Antonio area. A guy in his mid-sixties with a hell of lot  of knowledge and experience regarding wildfires and the destruction they can cause. His point is that people with stupid ideas about nature cause way more damage than the fires. I didn't argue with him about that. He's a bigger tree-hugger than anyone on this site could ever be. But he's smart enough to see the reality. And brave enough to call out the idiots when they're being idiots.

He's lost coworkers and friends over the years in Texas brush fires. It's not quite the same as forest fires, but burning to death in either case is not a good way to go. The crap happening in California is entirely preventable. Remove the politics, and insert some common sense. Lives and property don't have to be lost.

Forgot to add this pic, on the way out on the wheelers (we had just gone thru earlier) we drove up on this doe and yearling not 30yrs in front of us, we turned the wheelers off and they had no care in the world we we're right there.

KIMG0248.JPG

• Like 4

about 25 acres of where i hunt was darn near clear cut.. It was all Blue spruce and Larch for the most part. ITs been 1.5 years now and if you stand in it.. You cant see more than 5 or 10 yards in front of you. Ive never walked thorugh it yet.. So For now it stays as a sanctuary. Not sure if it holds deer or not. But it sure looks like it should. Looks to be a lot of briars growing up. Which gives me some doubt for the future .. But my plots and cams around it show some real activity.. 

• Like 2

Been going since last year selectively logging for both firewood and timber. if it's not showing potential to grow straight or a seed tree it's gone. it's woods that hasn't been touched in a life time. small crew run by my 2nd cousin.  they'll be there years. the one section is about 90 acres and what you western NYers would call adirondack steep terrain. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well I squeezed off a couple quick pics after a Sunday am hunt, this section is being opened up for a food plot. It's coming along, surprisingly the logging trails are not bad after all this rain.

One pics from my stand.

KIMG0281.JPG

KIMG0282.JPG

• Like 2

Zero bear sighting or pics, I have nothing exciting on cam at all. I had a nice one on cam from last yr and neighbor had a pic of him in Jan so he should be around.

I saw a nice one sat afternoon on my walk in that gave me hope. Maybe I gotta change my cams around to new spots but it's low on the to do list with all these damn sports my sons in. 

I found a scrape on the newer property when I first walked it I think 4yrs ago after we closed on it. That fall it was full of bucks hitting it, same thing the next yr until this damn funky 8pt broke the branch off it, scrapes been dead since. I tried the last 2 yrs tying a dang branch where the one was with no luck, I started a mock scrape on a tree next to it but I don't have much faith. That scape was awesome while it lasted.

Edited by zag