What are taxes on land generally?

Core

In Western NY give or take property taxes on residential are about 3.5% of assessed. I know about AG exemptions. But what about, let's say a piece of land worth $50k and it is just used for hunting. And once in a blue moon it is logged. What would taxes be on that? And now what would the taxes be on it if it were mostly wetlands (meaning it's worthless for anything except hunting)?

I pay $900 total in taxes on 40acres on the border of Livingston and Monroe county in Caledonia.  Great hunting property.  We have PY quality bucks every year.  60% designated wetlands.  Only assessed for around 25k  (due to wetlands) but I think it’s worth 60k or so based on $1500/acre.  You know how hard it is to find good hunting property within 30min of Rochester.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I pay $900 total in taxes on 40acres on the border of Livingston and Monroe county in Caledonia.  Great hunting property.  We have PY quality bucks every year.  60% designated wetlands.  Only assessed for around 25k  (due to wetlands) but I think it’s worth 60k or so based on $1500/acre.  You know how hard it is to find good hunting property within 30min of Rochester.  

I sure do. Your land is just what I'm thinking about, perhaps 2/3rd the size.

1 minute ago, Core said:

I sure do. Your land is just what I'm thinking about, perhaps 2/3rd the size.

A good mix of wetland and timber makes it hunt much larger since you have A LOT of transition lines and areas.   It is a bit more work to maintain than just hardwoods but also has tons of bedding.   Mine is bordered by no hunting preserve and big ag fields.   Huge plus.  

I got lucky core.  I put up a wtb ad on Craigslist and this guy needed money to pay for his daughters college.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

A good mix of wetland and timber makes it hunt much larger since you have A LOT of transition lines and areas.   It is a bit more work to maintain than just hardwoods but also has tons of bedding.   Mine is bordered by no hunting preserve and big ag fields.   Huge plus.  

I got lucky core.  I put up a wtb ad on Craigslist and this guy needed money to pay for his daughters college.  

I've finally worked my wife up to this. Ideally something with trails I could keep cut, but she is starting to appreciate I'm serious about this. Want to try and find 20-25 acres east of the city where I am. 

As far as I know, tax rolls are a matter of public record in NYS and are available online through county, town or Image Mate websites. Every property I have ever researched I have been able to find. So if you have some specific properties in mind (or are just curious what your neighbors are paying) it's pretty easy to find out exact assessments, exemptions and tax rates per thousand. Tax maps are also available there which can be useful in seeing property lines.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Core said:

I've finally worked my wife up to this. Ideally something with trails I could keep cut, but she is starting to appreciate I'm serious about this. Want to try and find 20-25 acres east of the city where I am. 

My friend bought 40 acres in Macedon a few years ago for,little over 1k an acre I think ,I’ll check . It’s long and narrow , one whole side is a fairly steep hill, and access is just at one point up a steep hill off 31 .

Inother words not good for farming or development, hence the price, very good hunting though .

Good luck

We pay I think ( lawyer pays it ) around $2500 on 120 acres in Ontario county .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that property taxes are rarely 'cast in stone'. They're almost always negotiable to some degree, especially given the vagaries of land quality and intended use. Just because a previous owner may have been paying too much is not necessarily an indication of what a bit of careful persuasion on your part might lead to.

10 hours ago, Core said:

I assume its assessment is sub $100k?

Ag rates . No idea on assessment , lawyer does it all, he gets rent check from farmer , pays the taxes and then sends us a check . It’s all mostly road frontage , 3 different roads , so the land (3 pieces) have roads on two sides , also they ran water lines down the roads a few years ago. Flat and level .

Some of it has already been sold off and built on .

I would think the value would be around 400k ,but really not sure need to have it appraised.

• Like 1