wood stove installation questions

jmark

Hi All,

I've used wood stoves pretty much all my life.  But mostly where I had a pre-existing chimney (or paid to have a full fireplace built in new construction).  I am now installing one in a small "cabin", not for full time living/occupancy, but for weekends/hunting/fishing trips etc.  My question is, for those who do this, do you bother with the box and insulated pipe for the outside?  Or do you just run the regular pipe up thru the roof? 

TIA,

jm

Never had one but.... Years ago at friends place on Black Lake a bunch of us up for the week end in late March, used the wood stove all week end .

Then a guy goes outside and sees smoke coming off the roof , they just ran the pipe up through the roof too, it caught the roof on fire .

A bucket brigade from the lake and we got it knocked down, of course roof damage and water damage . Had this been at night I’m sure it would have burned the roof off.

Not too many wood stoves in the city , yet I’ve been to a number of wall and roof fires from them ,if I had one I’d go,over and above code .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

need box and tripple wall for gping thru wall or roof..dont skimp.. 12 to 18 in min from wall and your best to replace drywall or paneling on wall with concrete board. take paper off insulation in wall as well.  fires are not nice to deal with at all....

Go to a good wood stove dealer like North Star energy in Middletown NY. Talk to Holly or the all know guy in whatever store you go to. Bring pics of where you plan your install, and dimensions for wall thickness, roof angle/pitch etc. They will set you up with everything you need and some good advice along the way. It's not cheap and anyone who tells you that Home Depot sells a kit for a couple hundred has their head up their chimney. The pipe you need from you ceiling on out is close to a couple hundred per four ft section. It will probably cost you a couple Gs. But if the building or people in it mean anything to you it's worth it. Also if you don't wanna give your insurance company a reason not to pay you in the event of a fire, then do it to code. Also if someone ever dies in that cabin as a result of a wood stove not being installed to code,,well you know.

46 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Get a triple wall through the roof kit and enough pipe to get 3 or 4' above the roof with a cap you can run single wall pipe to the ceiling do not run single pipe through any floors walls or ceilings etc....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This is it.

as for where to buy your  triple wall pipe the most inexpensive place carries the same pipe as the expensive fire place stores. the difference maybe in stainless used . but it will do what it supoose to keep vent hot so crestote doesnt build and keep out side cool so you dont burn house cabin down. you can get and follow building codes yourself and safe a ton of your hard earned cash..

• Like 1