Diamondback DB15

Anyone on here have actual hands on experience with this rifle?

WNYBuckHunter got me thinking with the new rig for Yote's. I really want an AR that's not .22LR. I started looking up prices to do build, and came across a couple road blocks. 1, I do not have the tools and bench rest with clamps to get the lower assembled. So I dug a little deeper to what I could come up with. 2, Apparently you cannot buy a pre-assembled lower in NYS, even decades before the "Unsafe Act".

Then I came across the Diamondback. Pretty new company, stared in 2009 with hand guns, and then got into the AR platform in 2012. The only bad thing I can find about the DB in more resent years is it doesn't like to cycle steel casings, but brass runs fine.

So.....................Again.................

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2018 at 9:48 PM, Rob... said:

WNYBuckHunter got me thinking with the new rig for Yote's. I really want an AR that's not .22LR. I started looking up prices to do build, and came across a couple road blocks. 1, I do not have the tools and bench rest with clamps to get the lower assembled. So I dug a little deeper to what I could come up with. 2, Apparently you cannot buy a pre-assembled lower in NYS, even decades before the "Unsafe Act".

Then I came across the Diamondback. Pretty new company, stared in 2009 with hand guns, and then got into the AR platform in 2012. The only bad thing I can find about the DB in more resent years is it doesn't like to cycle steel casings, but brass runs fine.

So.....................Again.................

You dont need many tools, a benchrest or clamps to assemble a lower. Ive dont them on my kitchen table, sitting on the couch, etc. They go together easy, and its lots of fun. Like big boy legos.

• Like 4

Diamondback isnt a great brand from everything ive read. Like its been stated already, build your lower or have some do it for you. Then shop for a complete upper. The barrel and the trigger i feel are the biggest parts of a precision type AR not to get cheap on. Id suggest the larue mbt trigger, pretty sure its still on sale for $87 through larue. Very good 2 stage trigger. As far as uppers go, either buy from a well established name brand or look at pre assembled uppers using goid barrels. Ive had good luck with bkingsfirearms.com. You can get uppers using faxon or ballistic advantage barrels. There are alot better barrels out there but they are very good for the price point they are at.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I found a lot of mixed reviews on the Diomandback, still not sure what direction to go. I just know this is rattling in my brain like a train.

I know a build on a solid AR15 can be a lot cheaper then buying even a middle of the road rifle. The thing that also keeps going through my head is to pin or not to pin the mag. I got used to the 'spur' on my M&P15 pretty fast, but I hate how it looks, LOL.

Once the holidays are over and I check the budget I will decide what road I want to travel. I just know it will be one or the other. Have to get this done before they are banned and I have to have a boating accident.

14 hours ago, Rob... said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I found a lot of mixed reviews on the Diomandback, still not sure what direction to go. I just know this is rattling in my brain like a train.

I know a build on a solid AR15 can be a lot cheaper then buying even a middle of the road rifle. The thing that also keeps going through my head is to pin or not to pin the mag. I got used to the 'spur' on my M&P15 pretty fast, but I hate how it looks, LOL.

Once the holidays are over and I check the budget I will decide what road I want to travel. I just know it will be one or the other. Have to get this done before they are banned and I have to have a boating accident.

In the county I live in, the DA has said he will not prosecute anyone for using an AR Mag Lock device, so we dont have to worry about pinning anything. You can get "featureless" lowers, like the one on the rifle I picked up. It basically just doesnt have the mag release machined into it, which makes it fixed. Check out DSI, you can buy their stripped lowers and then use whatever parts kit and upper to finish out the rifle if you dont want to mess with a Mag Lock. Best part about them, is that if you move to a free state, or the safe act is repealed, you can swap out your neutered lower for a standard lower.

https://www.dark-storm.com/parts/receivers/stripped-lowers/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

In the county I live in, the DA has said he will not prosecute anyone for using an AR Mag Lock device, so we dont have to worry about pinning anything. You can get "featureless" lowers, like the one on the rifle I picked up. It basically just doesnt have the mag release machined into it, which makes it fixed. Check out DSI, you can buy their stripped lowers and then use whatever parts kit and upper to finish out the rifle if you dont want to mess with a Mag Lock. Best part about them, is that if you move to a free state, or the safe act is repealed, you can swap out your neutered lower for a standard lower.

https://www.dark-storm.com/parts/receivers/stripped-lowers/

Yeah, Albany County won't be so forgiving. I don't like living this close to Andy's second largest fan base. But, it is what it is, and I don't see me going anywhere. The wife's all about family, and I respect that.

Back and forth with the mag issue. I just have to sit down and really think about what I will use the rifle for. Going AR10 in .308 even on a build will be out of my price range. So, I am going .223. Not the best deer round, but can and will kill deer if I do my part.

Like I said, after the holidays I can sit down and put far more thought into this.

I honestly do appreciate the feedback. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, Rob... said:

Once the holidays are over and I check the budget I will decide what road I want to travel. I just know it will be one or the other.

Better do it before the Democratic Senate takes over in January and hope they don't come up with a way to make them completely illegal, begin confiscation, or require them to be turned over. Also don't forget to turn over all your social media passwords so you can pass a background check when the time comes.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rob... said:

Yeah, Albany County won't be so forgiving. I don't like living this close to Andy's second largest fan base. But, it is what it is, and I don't see me going anywhere. The wife's all about family, and I respect that.

Back and forth with the mag issue. I just have to sit down and really think about what I will use the rifle for. Going AR10 in .308 even on a build will be out of my price range. So, I am going .223. Not the best deer round, but can and will kill deer if I do my part.

Like I said, after the holidays I can sit down and put far more thought into this.

we took a big hit just over the river in Rensselaer county. we lost DA (Abelove) that was strongly against the SafeAct and would catch hell and harassment from Cuomo and his now resigned corrupt AG. big turn outs from suburbs and more city folk Democrats that voted for a woman who's never actually prosecuted anyone herself.  She probably won't be so level headed and probably go for the throat to get brownie points from the governor. stupid. i've wanted an AR for a while now. hate the idea of buying one just to neuter it.

I've had the tools and parts to build a few lowers for a few years but just haven't gotten around to doing it. My brother has me convinced I want to do a 6.8 SPC upper. He's got a Bison build that shoots awesome and makes a great deer gun, but their complete uppers are pretty pricey.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this thread to stir up some motivation... 

12 hours ago, Rob... said:

There are plenty of chamberings that are great for deer in the AR15 platform. Best part is, you can use the same lower for 223 as a 458, same mags too. No need to go AR10.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 11:21 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

There are plenty of chamberings that are great for deer in the AR15 platform. Best part is, you can use the same lower for 223 as a 458, same mags too. No need to go AR10.

I actually put some serious thought into the .458 SOCOM. My reason for not going that route is ammo availability. I shoot factory ammo, so that puts me in a different scenario then those who reload. So, I decided that I wan't to go .223. Been doing some research, and you can get some solid factory loads for deer in that caliber these days.

I think I have decided I do not want to pin the mag, unless that's my only real options for which way I go. I really don't need to have flashlights or any other things added at this point. I would rather start off with the spur and then if the need arises go ahead and pin the mag to add accessories. Now, please hear me out on this before bashing me. I have shot more then a few squirrels with my M&P 15 .22LR with a spur grip, and I never shoot at running game ( exception- small game with the shotgun), they never knew the difference, and I can hold a steady aim. The aesthetics suck, but, for now, I can think I can live with that. Also, I am thinking about not going with rails for the hand guard, but rather a classic AR look. I'm even thinking a classic AR style buttstock. It's a lot to consider and think out.

For now, I already have a set of iron sites ( actually, I think they are SS with a black anodized coating ), that I bought for my M&P that will work for now. Any glass I put on top will take more consideration.

I love the feedback coming in on this, and the more I read the more I am learning. So thank you to everyone chiming in and offering advice on this thread.

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

I actually put some serious thought into the .458 SOCOM. My reason for not going that route is ammo availability. I shoot factory ammo, so that puts me in a different scenario then those who reload. So, I decided that I wan't to go .223. Been doing some research, and you can get some solid factory loads for deer in that caliber these days.

I think I have decided I do not want to pin the mag, unless that's my only real options for which way I go. I really don't need to have flashlights or any other things added at this point. I would rather start off with the spur and then if the need arises go ahead and pin the mag to add accessories. Now, please hear me out on this before bashing me. I have shot more then a few squirrels with my M&P 15 .22LR with a spur grip, and I never shoot at running game ( exception- small game with the shotgun), they never knew the difference, and I can hold a steady aim. The aesthetics suck, but, for now, I can think I can live with that. Also, I am thinking about not going with rails for the hand guard, but rather a classic AR look. I'm even thinking a classic AR style buttstock. It's a lot to consider and think out.

For now, I already have a set of iron sites ( actually, I think they are SS with a black anodized coating ), that I bought for my M&P that will work for now. Any glass I put on top will take more consideration.

I love the feedback coming in on this, and the more I read the more I am learning. So thank you to everyone chiming in and offering advice on this thread.

If you put a spur on the rifle you are going for a rifle that is "featureless".

It can not have a threaded muzzle, muzzle break, bayonet lug, forward grip, pistol grip or collapsible stock. This is the way to have a detachable mag. Pinned mag u can have any feature. 

You may have known all that but just throwing it out there. If i were to build a detachable mag rifle it would probably be with the gen 2 thordson stock. 

As far as handguards go, rails are kinda old news these days. Most are m lok now a days. A slimmer, cleaner attachment system.

Goid luck with the rifle, i love them all.

2 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

If you put a spur on the rifle you are going for a rifle that is "featureless".

It can not have a threaded muzzle, muzzle break, bayonet lug, forward grip, pistol grip or collapsible stock. This is the way to have a detachable mag. Pinned mag u can have any feature. 

You may have known all that but just throwing it out there. If i were to build a detachable mag rifle it would probably be with the gen 2 thordson stock. 

As far as handguards go, rails are kinda old news these days. Most are m lok now a days. A slimmer, cleaner attachment system.

Goid luck with the rifle, i love them all.

I know that. I knew that when I bought the M&P. 

I know all of the things it can't have with spur and no pin. I also know I don't need most of the accessories, when I am starting to look at the old school style.

• 1 month later...

Sad update on this one. In the last month and a half, I have had to put another new brake line in on my Jeep, and a new exhaust system. So, the cash I was saving to buy the new rifle since October was wiped out.

I could have split the cost on two credit cards, but that would have maxed both out again. I didn't want to do that.

I 100% appreciate the input I got on this topic! Especially a huge thanks to Buckmaster7600, I'm not giving up, just delayed for a while bro!

Even the most well planned ideas and dreams suffer setbacks sometimes. I'm bummed, but it is what it is.

13 hours ago, Rob... said:

Sad update on this one. In the last month and a half, I have had to put another new brake line in on my Jeep, and a new exhaust system. So, the cash I was saving to buy the new rifle since October was wiped out.

I could have split the cost on two credit cards, but that would have maxed both out again. I didn't want to do that.

I 100% appreciate the input I got on this topic! Especially a huge thanks to Buckmaster7600, I'm not giving up, just delayed for a while bro!

Even the most well planned ideas and dreams suffer setbacks sometimes. I'm bummed, but it is what it is.

Without pitfalls triumph wouldn't feel as great! You'll get there and it will mean that much more to you when you do!

• Like 1