Live from the Blind: Late Season Duck Hunting Report

The_Real_TCIII

Don’t know what a long tail is, but he is a very good water fowler .  

Years back he took me Sept goose hunting for my first time  , the first goose I shot was double banded ,which I guess from his reaction is a big deal . Asked if I was going to get it mounted , why the F would I mount a goose , I believe was my reply .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m on a little creek close to home where there were a lot of birds last year late. I’m pretty sure that was because it was the only open water but had to find out. All I put out was one black duck and a mojo. I’ll be at my desk by 8:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm jealous I wish I had a local creek to hunt! Good luck!

• Like 2

I’m on a little creek close to home where there were a lot of birds last year late. I’m pretty sure that was because it was the only open water but had to find out. All I put out was one black duck and a mojo. I’ll be at my desk by 8:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Please enlighten me on creek hunting for ducks.....my lease has clear Creek running through it and I am not sure if ducks frequent it.
Can I draw them in with decoys, calls....what do I need to try and make a go at this?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Please enlighten me on creek hunting for ducks.....my lease has clear Creek running through it and I am not sure if ducks frequent it.
Can I draw them in with decoys, calls....what do I need to try and make a go at this?

You sure can, you just need a few dekes. Sit there one morning and see if there are birds flying over. If youve got crop fields nearby which I'm sure you do you are in business

You sure can, you just need a few dekes. Sit there one morning and see if there are birds flying over. If youve got crop fields nearby which I'm sure you do you are in business
Cut corn all around......the creek bisects a few different fields.

What's my best bet for dekes? Mallard floaters with weights?

Do I need to be concealed pretty good?

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You will need to hide well, just get in some brush and when you hear/see ducks stay as still as possible. Theyll pass over a couple times and check everything out before coming in. As @sodfather  says, second pass we take em!

Don’t give em a third pass or that’ll be their last pass 

• Like 1

I never used decoys on a crick before myself.  Much harder but in some ways more fun is "jump shooting". You walk in the water or on the bank, however you can navigate. Keep your eyes open for ducks sitting on the water.  Most times they look like rocks, roots, debris. Anything but ducks. Until they fly.  Then its a function of how quick you can shoulder your gun and line up on them before they disappear. There is not much time usually. I liken this to being on patrol in some armed service (Though I never served. Just seems that way to me) You are "at the ready" constantly. I nearly shot a doe in January once longgg ago. I was looking when two doe bounded out from behind a log very close to me and the bank. My gun started to come up, but I had my wits about me and it didn't make it all the way. Easily could have.

However you hunt it, this sounds like a potentially excellent duck spot. You likely already know this but you need steel shot for ducks. ( at least non lead).  A federal duck stamp ( usually available at local hunting store) , a HIP number - online at DEC website just answer a bunch of questions then write your HIP number down, and a big old grin on your face for having a (hopefully) good spot!!! Good luck.  Oh also get a copy of the duck limits and how many of what you can shoot. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I never used decoys on a crick before myself.  Much harder but in some ways more fun is "jump shooting". You walk in the water or on the bank, however you can navigate. Keep your eyes open for ducks sitting on the water.  Most times they look like rocks, roots, debris. Anything but ducks. Until they fly.  Then its a function of how quick you can shoulder your gun and line up on them before they disappear. There is not much time usually. I liken this to being on patrol in some armed service (Though I never served. Just seems that way to me) You are "at the ready" constantly. I nearly shot a doe in January once longgg ago. I was looking when two doe bounded out from behind a log very close to me and the bank. My gun started to come up, but I had my wits about me and it didn't make it all the way. Easily could have.

However you hunt it, this sounds like a potentially excellent duck spot. You likely already know this but you need steel shot for ducks. ( at least non lead).  A federal duck stamp ( usually available at local hunting store) , a HIP number - online at DEC website just answer a bunch of questions then write your HIP number down, and a big old grin on your face for having a (hopefully) good spot!!! Good luck.  Oh also get a copy of the duck limits and how many of what you can shoot. 

I certainly walked the length of the creek this morning with that in mind, didnt get anything up

29 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Walk with the wind, that should get them headed your way, no?

Perhaps... Perhaps not...They can launch with the wind at their tails and will usually be headed AWAY from you..

One positive..FLUSHING ducks are easy targets...Much easier to hit than when they  get aloft and start SMOKIN "...

Mourning doves are he same...Slow and EASY when they flush, but once they get flying it is a much different situation...