2019 Habitat seed Program (Soybeans)

7 hours ago, goosifer said:

Could you elaborate/explain what this process is? So you never disc or break the soil in any way? Do you brush hog it beforehand? Is crimp or roller = cultipacker? Thanks.

Have you checked out growing deer tv? He's been running this system for years now and seems to work well building your soil in many ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zag said:

Have you checked out growing deer tv? He's been running this system for years now and seems to work well building your soil in many ways.

I will have to check that out. Thank you. Funny thing, I own a disc attachment, so I will be bummed if I find out I don't need it.

38 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I just looked at prices on small, 3 point hitch roller/crimpers.  I guess I won't be investing in one of those.  The results from using cereal grains as mulch and weed suppression are impressive though.

Yeah it takes a small fortune to start that.process, especially the seed drill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zag said:

Yeah it takes a small fortune to start that.process, especially the seed drill.

As part of our branch initiatives we have a one ton AG lime spreader. We are saving to get a 3' Genesis seed drill  and we are considering making a crimp roller. All suitable for use behind an ATV/UTV that is 800 cc or larger. Hopefully the banquet gets us over the mark and I get branch volunteers buy in to train and issue/check back in the equipment so it can work out.  Thinking about just a small rental fee to just cover insurance, wear items trailer registration and such. That way members can have access to equipment to do small plots and not need to outlay big money. . 

19 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

As part of our branch initiatives we have a one ton AG lime spreader. We are saving to get a 3' Genesis seed drill  and we are considering making a crimp roller. All suitable for use behind an ATV/UTV that is 800 cc or larger. Hopefully the banquet gets us over the mark and I get branch volunteers buy in to train and issue/check back in the equipment so it can work out.  Thinking about just a small rental fee to just cover insurance, wear items trailer registration and such. That way members can have access to equipment to do small plots and not need to outlay big money. . 

That would be a sweet set-up.  I have seen the Genesis drill on Midwest Whitetail and other shows.  

I feel like I could get by with just a crimper.  Some organic vegetable folks are using them instead of Glyphosate, which would be awesome.  I think I could spring plant oats, then crimp them, broadcast soybeans and roll them.  A drill would be better, but I think they would still grow and the thatch would protect them and keep them from getting too dry.  I use a rototiller now and it brings up a terrible amount of weed seed.  Oats combined with no-till should cut down on weeds a bunch.

Hope you get a chance to get this going for folks.  Sounds like a great service.

Hell of a deal, deff charge a fee for maintenance and repairs. I get the feeling that the waiting list to use it's kinda like getting season tickets to the Green Bay packers. I'm not sure my spots gonna be large enough to hold beans. I'm worried they will get crushed right away.

8 minutes ago, Zag said:

Hell of a deal, deff charge a fee for maintenance and repairs. I get the feeling that the waiting list to use it's kinda like getting season tickets to the Green Bay packers. I'm not sure my spots gonna be large enough to hold beans. I'm worried they will get crushed right away.

Probably.  I did a test with 1/4 acre.  I managed to keep them around with some leftover fencing we had laying around.  I built my own double fence and didn't even electrify it.  We have low deer density, and by the time the deer figured it out the beans were mature enough to stand up the 3-5 does.

3 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Probably.  I did a test with 1/4 acre.  I managed to keep them around with some leftover fencing we had laying around.  I built my own double fence and didn't even electrify it.  We have low deer density, and by the time the deer figured it out the beans were mature enough to stand up the 3-5 does.

How long did the 1/4 acre last once you removed the fencing?

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Would you have a link to the one ton AG lime spreader and 3' Genesis seed drill? What's the difference between a crimper, a roller and a cultipacker? Thanks.

That would be a sweet set-up.  I have seen the Genesis drill on Midwest Whitetail and other shows.  
I feel like I could get by with just a crimper.  Some organic vegetable folks are using them instead of Glyphosate, which would be awesome.  I think I could spring plant oats, then crimp them, broadcast soybeans and roll them.  A drill would be better, but I think they would still grow and the thatch would protect them and keep them from getting too dry.  I use a rototiller now and it brings up a terrible amount of weed seed.  Oats combined with no-till should cut down on weeds a bunch.
Hope you get a chance to get this going for folks.  Sounds like a great service.

I would switch the order if it were me. Grow the oats. In spring when you have ground temps, broadcast the soybean and then crimp roll it. Obviously a drill is better and they are drilling down through the crimped cover crop. But to broadcast I wouldn’t want beans hanging up on the thatch and not making soil contact.

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

f6ddb67df42d04f5210ec80fa682ff7e.jpg

This is a cultipacker.

A smooth roller is just like a lawn roller

Thanks. I actually have a cultipacker like this. Still not clear on how a crimper is different, but I will research on my own. I have a pto brush cutter, pto discer, tow spreader for seed and granulated lime, tow cultipacker and chain drag. So I would think I have my bases covered. The driller attachment is highest on my list at this point so I can plant the food plot holy grail of corn. Thanks for taking the time to post the above pics.

52 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Thanks. I actually have a cultipacker like this. Still not clear on how a crimper is different, but I will research on my own. I have a pto brush cutter, pto discer, tow spreader for seed and granulated lime, tow cultipacker and chain drag. So I would think I have my bases covered. The driller attachment is highest on my list at this point so I can plant the food plot holy grail of corn. Thanks for taking the time to post the above pics.

You can broadcast corn.  It isn't as effective as a planter, but the deer didn't mind.  I just rototilled, spread seed by hand and rolled with a lawn roller.  It can be done, and it's worth the effort.  Just isn't worth it for me to buy a drill or corn planter for the amount I do.  

• Like 1

Crimper has plates across the roller. As it turns it knocks the cover crop down but also “crimps” multiple spots along the stalk to compress and kill the cover crop.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I would switch the order if it were me. Grow the oats. In spring when you have ground temps, broadcast the soybean and then crimp roll it. Obviously a drill is better and they are drilling down through the crimped cover crop. But to broadcast I wouldn’t want beans hanging up on the thatch and not making soil contact.

I think you're right.  I was following Dr. Wood's steps, but he has a drill.  I wouldn't worry too much about soil contact with beans though.  They are pretty easy to grow and I broadcast at 80lbs to the acre.  

• Like 1

I think you're right.  I was following Dr. Wood's steps, but he has a drill.  I wouldn't worry too much about soil contact with beans though.  They are pretty easy to grow and I broadcast at 80lbs to the acre.  

That is the correct order with a drill. Also using a drill you must go In the same direction as you crimp rolled.
  • Like 1