When is technology TOO much...?

nyslowhand

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

yes, but you don't refer to Americans from Georgia as speaking Georgian. There is a dialect, not a language. Just like we speak English, not American. Are you tracking yet?

Dialect can be totally different  to the point you can't understand it .

You follow ? 

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

yes, but you don't refer to Americans from Georgia as speaking Georgian. There is a dialect, not a language. Just like we speak English, not American. Are you tracking yet?

I hope You know  there is country called Georgia  and they speak Georgian  . 

Next time pick a different state in your example .

1 hour ago, Belo said:

the same generation that is pissed they had to learn cursive is pissed that kids don't write letters or mail anything anymore. It's kind of funny when you think about it.

My father in law still goes to the bank every saturday to pay bills and writes and mails out checks. Yes, there is a level of security risk with online bill pay, but it's instant and confirmed paper trail. Never lost, always guaranteed and doesn't require a trip to the post office or a stamp and check.

nope i just text em! 

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

When a computer goes off line its totally off when a guy crashes into you usually he breaks shuts the car off .

Computer goes down crashes and could  keep  going and crash again get what I'm saying .

Even if this does not happen as often as human error when it does the potential for human injury is much greater . Especially when the computers in these cars start to get older .

It is More of something that will be used on highways not city streets . Like a inhansed cruise control. 

#1 cause of death for people under 25 is motor vehicle accidents - due to speed, inexperience and bad judgement .  All of these a computer will do better and have less accidents.  Yes will there be situations of course there will be.  But the overall fatality rate will drop.  

I just went home for lunch.  Had to avoid a car coming across the yellow line cause of driver error and saw at least a dozen on their phone while driving . 

8 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Back to the Thread-- alot of people have no idea that we could be sent back to the Stone age if an EMP Device is set off . Anything electrical or computer related including cars could be fried. EMP stands for Electro Magnetic Pulse. TG-- TRUMP IS IN OFFICE!

I'm pretty right leaning, and while I think Trump is the biggest egotistical a-hole I've ever seen, I'm glad he's doing what he's doing.

However, I don't think he can avert an EMP attack anymore that any other president can.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

#1 cause of death for people under 25 is motor vehicle accidents - due to speed, inexperience and bad judgement .  All of these a computer will do better and have less accidents.  Yes will there be situations of course there will be.  But the overall fatality rate will drop.  

I just went home for lunch.  Had to avoid a car coming across the yellow line cause of driver error and saw at least a dozen on their phone while driving . 

You are of course correct,  but  I would worry when these systems  get old who is going to inspect them all  u are talking about millions of cars and what about hackers or terrorists taking over your car . They have autopilot on airplanes already but there not as many  planes as cars driving around  and those planes are  looked after with much more care then people's cars.

Edited by Storm914

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You are ofcourse correct,  but  I would worry when these systems  get old who is going to inspect them all  u are talking about millions of cars and what about hackers or terrorists taking over your car . They have autopilot on airplanes already but there not as many  planes as cars driving around  and those planes are  looked after with much more care then people's cars.

technology will also get better for this as well.  Look at phones - they now have fingerprint and facial technology for security. 

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Lots of regulation they will have to get around for full auto pilot cars  Will take time . 

def agree there and i even hope so.  I dont like riding with anyone else at the wheel including a robot.  I dont like flying for that reason either - control - maybe , but i know i am not taking chances and paying attention.

23 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I'm pretty right leaning, and while I think Trump is the biggest egotistical a-hole I've ever seen, I'm glad he's doing what he's doing.

However, I don't think he can avert an EMP attack anymore that any other president can.

Trump  can  spend money to harden the electrical infrastructure  of this country but it would be impossible to protect all electronics from EMP attack 

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Trump  can  spend money to harden the electrical infrastructure  of this country but it would be impossible to protect all electronics from EMP attack 

Can he convince Congress to get legislation going though? That's where he's weak. If he EO's it, it can just get reversed by the next Pres. He's pissed off so many people he can't get anything through congress, so none of his efforts will necessarily be long lasting. How's he doing winning over senators and Representatives on the wall? Health care reform? I can't imagine he'll have better luck on hardening the grid.

3 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Can he convince Congress to get legislation going though? That's where he's weak. If he EO's it, it can just get reversed by the next Pres. He's pissed off so many people he can't get anything through congress, so none of his efforts will necessarily be long lasting. How's he doing winning over senators and Representatives on the wall? Health care reform? I can't imagine he'll have better luck on hardening the grid.

No way will any president get % 100 everything he wants done but  he got a lot done already  with judges and the economy give him time Obama was in there for 8 years . 

• Like 1

I saw a show a few years ago on the Discovery channel, I wish I could remember the name of it now. Obviously, it was just a show, but there were a number of scientists & sociologists that were giving their opinions in-between scenes.

Anyway, the premise was, a virus shows up and kills 95% of the population. Society as we know it breaks down, and all utilities and services (including the government) shut down for good.. Those left had to figure out a way to fend for themselves, join roving gangs, or find their way to protected towns, if they had a trade or skill they were more valuable. Eventually all food and gasoline ran out, and people had to start all over from scratch, growing their own food and relying on horses & mules for plowing and transportataion. Since the internet is gone, people had to rely on books again, and the latest technology information stopped around 2000 (when the internet became mainstream).

It really opened my eyes to the world of sh*t most of us would be in if our current society and government were to just go away.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I saw a show a few years ago on the Discovery channel, I wish I could remember the name of it now. Obviously, it was just a show, but there were a number of scientists & sociologists that were giving their opinions in-between scenes.

Anyway, the premise was, a virus shows up and kills 95% of the population. Society as we know it breaks down, and all utilities and services (including the government) shut down for good.. Those left had to figure out a way to fend for themselves, join roving gangs, or find their way to protected towns, if they had a trade or skill they were more valuable. Eventually all food and gasoline ran out, and people had to start all over from scratch, growing their own food and relying on horses & mules for plowing and transportataion. Since the internet is gone, people had to rely on books again, and the latest technology information stopped around 2000 (when they internet became mainstream).

It really opened my eyes to the world of sh*t most of us would be in if our current society and government were to just go away.

studies say 90% of people would be dead in year if there was no electricity.  Gotta figure that is because of sewage issues, disease, starvation, nuclear plants etc .  Dont really see how this could happen without some sort of electric being restored no matter what happened.  I think we are past the point of restarting at Amish.  But guess you never know.  

4 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Oh, I agree. But damn, that man needs to understand what building alliances can do for him. I don't think he has any alliances.

Hey he gave in to the dems on opening the government didn't he .  For trump that was a very nice thing to do .

Edited by Storm914
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

but Trump got our Embassy moved to Jerusalem

And all due respect to you. But that didn't effect me one bit. Small potatoes.

And again, I'm not knocking him, I voted for him and probably will again. But I hope that's not his lasting legacy, because all of his executive orders can be reversed.

I'll cede to him that we got two SCOTUS judges, but he really just picked names from a list that the Repubs already had, right? I mean it's not like he carried them across the goal line. Heck, just being picked by him made it tougher on Kavanaugh. The left didn't fight Kavanaugh, they fought "Trump's pick". The man needs alliances within the Republican party and at least a few in the Dem party.

I think I'm thread jacking at this point. Sorry to the OP!

Edited by Steuben Jerry

10 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Self driving car only useful on a highway would never trust that thing in city or even town traffic but I can see it being used like cruise control on a highway for long trips .

what about out in the sticks. those self driving vehicles have been know to dump you right in t-rex territory. no thanks.

43 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

studies say 90% of people would be dead in year if there was no electricity.  Gotta figure that is because of sewage issues, disease, starvation, nuclear plants etc .  Dont really see how this could happen without some sort of electric being restored no matter what happened.  I think we are past the point of restarting at Amish.  But guess you never know.  

Again, all speculation, but unless you have a solar powered generator, when there is no more gasoline left, you are in trouble. But who knows what the decline of civilization would really be like?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Again, all speculation, but unless you have a solar powered generator, when there is no more gasoline left, you are in trouble. But who knows what the decline of civilization would really be like?

I have 10,000 cans of tuna and 10,000 boxes of twinkies stored up just in case!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have 10,000 cans of tuna and 10,000 boxes of twinkies stored up just in case!

Trade you 1/2 my stockpiled Zingers for some Twinkies...?

Never thought what I assumed was a simple thread would go in so many different unrelated directions!!!!!!!!!!!