Jump to content

Youth baseball thread


Zag

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Zag said:

That sucks. There is too much organized baseball at that age, no reason for cuts or this team is better that that team. One kid being better that the other at that age doesn’t mean shit!!
There is a movie we watched a few years ago, ( true story) kid got cut, ticked him off and he worked is but off to be better next yr, kid ended up in the mlb. Keep him involved if possible.

I'll try. Just hope the damage isn't done already. I know as a parent and going thru it not making a team is tough. Hopefully he will rebound and find something else that he will spark his interest. He's a good kid and very respectful. Not saying it because he's mine. He has a bright future regardless.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I'll try. Just hope the damage isn't done already. I know as a parent and going thru it not making a team is tough. Hopefully he will rebound and find something else that he will spark his interest. He's a good kid and very respectful. Not saying it because he's mine. He has a bright future regardless.

It's never too late. Your the teacher, his life is what you make of it for him. Some kids just need more time or a different focus. Make sure to keep it fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

It's never too late. Your the teacher, his life is what you make of it for him. Some kids just need more time or a different focus. Make sure to keep it fun.

Yes agree. Try to give them everything I never got to. Cuz my family didn't have the money too. He doesn't want to play minors because kids pitch 2 innings coaches pitch 4 innings. His decision not mine I paid the $95 for him to play. He says playing at that level isn't challenging for him. Plus like I said b4 if you don't have a name or don't know someone you don't play. At the try outs nobody talked it was like crazy. Parents didn't associate like they were better than everyone else. Ridiculous. Man I need a vacation again st Simons island here we come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

It's never too late. Your the teacher, his life is what you make of it for him. Some kids just need more time or a different focus. Make sure to keep it fun.

Yes agree. Try to give them everything I never got to. Cuz my family didn't have the money too. He doesn't want to play minors because kids pitch 2 innings coaches pitch 4 innings. His decision not mine I paid the $95 for him to play. He says playing at that level isn't challenging for him. Plus like I said b4 if you don't have a name or don't know someone you don't play. At the try outs nobody talked it was like crazy. Parents didn't associate like they were better than everyone else. Ridiculous. Man I need a vacation again st Simons island here we come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes agree. Try to give them everything I never got to. Cuz my family didn't have the money too. He doesn't want to play minors because kids pitch 2 innings coaches pitch 4 innings. His decision not mine I paid the $95 for him to play. He says playing at that level isn't challenging for him. Plus like I said b4 if you don't have a name or don't know someone you don't play. At the try outs nobody talked it was like crazy. Parents didn't associate like they were better than everyone else. Ridiculous. Man I need a vacation again st Simons island here we come.
How old is he?? If he has buddies on the younger team that's what it's all about. We started off our 8u travel season today. These kids have been practicing together since 11/1 and have built a real bond with each other......they lost 1-0 but had alot fun. Heck they had 60+ people turn out today to watch them play....it was a blast. We have a other game tomorrow at 9am....kinda bummed we are missing opening day of Turkey...but we aren't worried those birds will be there all season.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been a tough spring with a bunch of practices canceled. Oldest won their first game Saturday but he was bummed that he was walked 3 times.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well son had little league try outs for majors 9-12. Minors are 7-11. He didn't do too well in the cold weather we had. So he didn't make majors. He told us he doesn't want to play minors. So we're on to new endeavor s. This kid lives breathe and eats baseball. Nothing like having his heart ripped out being cut. All is good reality and real life suck sometimes. I'll say it as it is if you don't have a name in this town you ain't going to be nothing. On the positive note he's ready to hunt with dad. Plus we can vacation without hassle of having to be somewhere else. 

Sorry Redneck. Watching your kid not get what he wants can be brutal and I agree that many of the Daddy-ball leagues field teams by names and associations only and that sucks too….BUT, since you know the script and if your kid “lives breathes and eats baseball” that’s the game. You gotta coach, be involved early or as Zag said, be the best. Trust me if he is a stud, they want him so their own child has a better chance of winning.
Getting cut(in this case being place on a lower level team) sucks but is an awesome chance for parenting dealing with disappointment. Having to do it at 9 sucks…look around for other local programs, try to keep him involved-let him dominate those little punks in 7-11 league!
Our rule was(still is), unless you break something, you can’t quit until the season is over-once they commit they finish but if they don’t want to do it again, that’s fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My kids having a nice spring pitching for his HS team. He came into the season ready from his winter training which set him up for success. It’s wild for me to see the growth and change from him last year. His stuff (curve, slider, change, 2 seem) is good, his ability to throw strikes even better, but my favorite part of his development is how he finally is starting to understand pitch sequence…get ahead, set him up and finish(always the hardest part for him).
Not without its lumps
3775e42607468ebbc9775b43d5add6e1.jpg
Busted in the nose getting tagged out at third trying to stretch a double into a triple.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

How old is he?? If he has buddies on the younger team that's what it's all about. We started off our 8u travel season today. These kids have been practicing together since 11/1 and have built a real bond with each other......they lost 1-0 but had alot fun. Heck they had 60+ people turn out today to watch them play....it was a blast. We have a other game tomorrow at 9am....kinda bummed we are missing opening day of Turkey...but we aren't worried those birds will be there all season.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
 

Brantley is 9 will be 10 on September 11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, crappyice said:


Sorry Redneck. Watching your kid not get what he wants can be brutal and I agree that many of the Daddy-ball leagues field teams by names and associations only and that sucks too….BUT, since you know the script and if your kid “lives breathes and eats baseball” that’s the game. You gotta coach, be involved early or as Zag said, be the best. Trust me if he is a stud, they want him so their own child has a better chance of winning.
Getting cut(in this case being place on a lower level team) sucks but is an awesome chance for parenting dealing with disappointment. Having to do it at 9 sucks…look around for other local programs, try to keep him involved-let him dominate those little punks in 7-11 league!
Our rule was(still is), unless you break something, you can’t quit until the season is over-once they commit they finish but if they don’t want to do it again, that’s fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes lives breathes sleeps baseball. He's going to play and do what he has to do. Hopefully they'll see what they missed out on during tryouts. I just want him to have fun and enjoy baseball. We also have town ball and because of age he has to play grass hopper instead of pee wee. Thanks for the input. This is his first year playing little league. Hopefully everything will work out and he can meet some new friends. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes lives breathes sleeps baseball. He's going to play and do what he has to do. Hopefully they'll see what they missed out on during tryouts. I just want him to have fun and enjoy baseball. We also have town ball and because of age he has to play grass hopper instead of pee wee. Thanks for the input. This is his first year playing little league. Hopefully everything will work out and he can meet some new friends. 

Read this book, trust me 

3C9DDBC2-CB8C-48E6-8DE9-CA7B43159E6B.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First game of 12U house softball starts tomorrow. 

First game is an away game.... 50 min from home to the field which means I will be driving right from work and my wife will be driving by herself with the kids. Personally my wife and I hate this league. We are the only team in Erie county. The rest are from Genesee, Livingston, Ontario and Wyoming Counties which means every single away game is a Drive. The shortest drive we have is about 20min when we play Pembroke. 

We also just found out this afternoon that the 12U team entered in a tournament.... The same weekend we had planned our daughters birthday party. Friday was going to be for a couple of her friends and Saturday was going to be for the family. Now we have to have a conversation with her to see what she wants to do. Even if she decides to skip the tournament it still means her best friend wont be able to come to her party because she's also on the team AND she's the coaches daughter so I am sure she will be playing the tournament. 

Sorry just ranting a bit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First game of 12U house softball starts tomorrow. 
First game is an away game.... 50 min from home to the field which means I will be driving right from work and my wife will be driving by herself with the kids. Personally my wife and I hate this league. We are the only team in Erie county. The rest are from Genesee, Livingston, Ontario and Wyoming Counties which means every single away game is a Drive. The shortest drive we have is about 20min when we play Pembroke. 
We also just found out this afternoon that the 12U team entered in a tournament.... The same weekend we had planned our daughters birthday party. Friday was going to be for a couple of her friends and Saturday was going to be for the family. Now we have to have a conversation with her to see what she wants to do. Even if she decides to skip the tournament it still means her best friend wont be able to come to her party because she's also on the team AND she's the coaches daughter so I am sure she will be playing the tournament. 
Sorry just ranting a bit.
I was under the impression house league means no travel.....but found out alot of these leagues are hurting for players and now they play crossover games with other towns.

On the flip side we haven't played a house game but have 3 travel games under our belt. The boys are young and very raw, but they just have a blast playing together. This weekend will be the wakeup call for the boys. We are in a tourny about 50 minutes from home.....play.1 game Friday night.....2 games Sat....and then potentially 2-3 Sunday. We shall see how they handle multiple games in a day.dbe5bc000ae55566f6c36af99620a301.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t wait for organized sports with my daughter so I live through you guys.

For now, she’s in “multi-sports” every Sunday, dance every Friday and music Tuesday.

Sunday was soccer at multi-sports. She’s 27months old but I got her dribbling the ball pretty well.

98bf8022372dd1e50d54bdc289288b21.png

ba4cfc338474fa52bf359f55ccb72e3c.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, BizCT said:

is your son still playing?

Oh yeah!! Right now it’s school ball then June were knee deep in tournaments! 

Really looking forward to seeing how he does this yr. He’s gained a ton of weight and is working out on his own and has a strength and conditioning coach he works with twice a week!! 
He is 6’1 and 165lb and strong as a damn ox, and he’s still 13 for another month!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was under the impression house league means no travel.....but found out alot of these leagues are hurting for players and now they play crossover games with other towns.

On the flip side we haven't played a house game but have 3 travel games under our belt. The boys are young and very raw, but they just have a blast playing together. This weekend will be the wakeup call for the boys. We are in a tourny about 50 minutes from home.....play.1 game Friday night.....2 games Sat....and then potentially 2-3 Sunday. We shall see how they handle multiple games in a day.dbe5bc000ae55566f6c36af99620a301.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk


Normally yes. House means no travel but We are from a small town so I expect some travel. The first year my daughter played they where in a league with a neighboring town so the away games where only 15-20 min down the road which is no big deal to try and get to after school and work.

Now for some reason we are in this other league where the away games are more like 30-50 min away. I guess it’s a whatever type situation as in “whatever I’ll keep my big dumb mouth shut and drive all over WNY so my daughters can play softball and have fun because I love them so much”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember complaining about driving to a tournament 25 minutes away one Saturday morning when the boys first started baseball….now under 2 hours (ideal Waze time with no traffic) is our measure of whether a hotel is required. Philly and back happened already this spring for crew; Muhlenberg and back will be a regular (if she “allows it”)…worst one was to Diamond Nation - Somewhere, NJ and back (1:45) on a Tuesday after summer camp for my kid to throw his mid-week bullpen (30 pitches) to Live batters.
Great stuff and about the best time to talk to and learn about your kids and their friends and their school and their hopes….just saying


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I remember complaining about driving to a tournament 25 minutes away one Saturday morning when the boys first started baseball….now under 2 hours (ideal Waze time with no traffic) is our measure of whether a hotel is required. Philly and back happened already this spring for crew; Muhlenberg and back will be a regular (if she “allows it”)…worst one was to Diamond Nation - Somewhere, NJ and back (1:45) on a Tuesday after summer camp for my kid to throw his mid-week bullpen (30 pitches) to Live batters.
Great stuff and about the best time to talk to and learn about your kids and their friends and their school and their hopes….just saying


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed on the car time being great time to talk to the kids and find out about their life. That's of course when they aren't fighting with each other. LOL 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is our final year of travel and I'm not ready for it to be over bd9cec83d557632aa4d988d4afc00a3f.jpg
8476e9cdd000133733d399073dcc3168.jpg
7852b6778e36e647ef297827e69fe1a2.jpg
6e6b795981722d0ebac4741e594f6223.jpg
33ab468715718a340714ff7f7ea94c55.jpg
4333c396673fe7b67cb97ded340deb00.jpg
20223cd76d48ec39a16db888c9b45b6a.jpg
23d226b96006539cafa1844f9cbe2914.jpg
c6ef722cb469d4babbee6c85d7b3154a.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is she going or want to play college softball? My journey starts lol. Not where son wants to be well see. Town ball starts on Monday too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is she going or want to play college softball? My journey starts lol. Not where son wants to be well see. Town ball starts on Monday too. 

She doesn't want to play in college and I understand it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...