2019 Fungi / Wild Eats

PREDATE

Found a few Half-free morels on an east slope . Seems right since in my experience blacks, grays and yellows follow the half-free within a week..

So the south slope where I found the blacks/grays this morning is about a week ahead of the east slope in terms of soil temp since it gets sun all day.

I didn't harvest any mushrooms today since they were all on the small side. I'll check back in a day or 2 to evaluate growth.

Hey Crappy, notice my vehicle in the background?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

afa049f6e0edafb43d30a148e4f89527.jpg9928004e2397554f8e38dfd1344720d7.jpg

Found a few Half-free morels on an east slope . Seems right since in my experience blacks, grays and yellows follow the half-free within a week..
So the south slope where I found the blacks/grays this morning is about a week ahead of the east slope in terms of soil temp since it gets sun all day.
I didn't harvest any mushrooms today since they were all on the small side. I'll check back in a day or 2 to evaluate growth.
Hey Crappy, notice my vehicle in the background?

afa049f6e0edafb43d30a148e4f89527.jpg&key=e5e1fb9cdd9d3ca928d573264a8e793edfda322b1e6d5de478f87280f97557a39928004e2397554f8e38dfd1344720d7.jpg&key=f3cd138cf21bc902128a56060dfd3a4b486b1baa39736c57e24a05d602298589

SO HAPPY FOR YOU PAL!!! I on the other hand walked 4 miles up and over; up and over, up and over hills to find nothing (but Ramps which are also 2/10 of a mile from my house!).
Knowing that you are finding them “roadside” I almost crashed a dozen times checking elms and ashes I see traveling 70 mph down the Sprain Parkway!
Now that I know your car, check it for GPS locators!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

SO HAPPY FOR YOU PAL!!! I on the other hand walked 4 miles up and over; up and over, up and over hills to find nothing (but Ramps which are also 2/10 of a mile from my house!).
Knowing that you are finding them “roadside” I almost crashed a dozen times checking elms and ashes I see traveling 70 mph down the Sprain Parkway!

This reminds me of out fishing with my Dad and Uncle, and my uncle complaining that he was driving too fast for him to spot mushrooms.   We used to come back at times with trout, frogs and mushrooms.  Wish I had kept more knowledge about which mushrooms to pick but I was pretty young back then.  

Yeah I got lucky on a couple of my spots.
I'd start on some of your lowest local elevation on a south facing slope and try to target big ash & sickly elm trees that have a good amount of underbrush around them. Some people swear by old apple trees, but I've only ever found 1 morel under apple.
I like to search in zig-zag pattern starting low on the hill and going up. This way you're covering multiple elevations. Whenever I find fungi I look directly up and downhill to determine what I call the "spore wash". This is where the spores from one year get washed directly downhill and hopefully send up fruit. This works for alot of fungi like chanterelles and hedgehogs, but morels are a fickle fungi and will only fruit when and where they want although I have noticed a certain degree of "spore wash".
Another thing worth mentioning is ridgetops and Mycelium. So the Mycelium is the actual living organism and the mushrooms are its fruit which produce its spores(seeds). The Mycelium is a threadlike web in the soil/duft layer. When certain spores meet the Mycelium it sends up its fruit. Here's where ridgetops come into play. It is theorized that the Mycelium sort of "panics" at a sharp ridge and throws up fruit to ensure the future production of spores.

• Like 3

Yeah I got lucky on a couple of my spots.
I'd start on some of your lowest local elevation on a south facing slope and try to target big ash & sickly elm trees that have a good amount of underbrush around them. Some people swear by old apple trees, but I've only ever found 1 morel under apple.
I like to search in zig-zag pattern starting low on the hill and going up. This way you're covering multiple elevations. Whenever I find fungi I look directly up and downhill to determine what I call the "spore wash". This is where the spores from one year get washed directly downhill and hopefully send up fruit. This works for alot of fungi like chanterelles and hedgehogs, but morels are a fickle fungi and will only fruit when and where they want although I have noticed a certain degree of "spore wash".
Another thing worth mentioning is ridgetops and Mycelium. So the Mycelium is the actual living organism and the mushrooms are its fruit which produce its spores(seeds). The Mycelium is a threadlike web in the soil/duft layer. When certain spores meet the Mycelium it sends up its fruit. Here's where ridgetops come into play. It is theorized that the Mycelium sort of "panics" at a sharp ridge and throws up fruit to ensure the future production of spores.

Dropping knowledge!!! Awesome!!!

• Like 2

Look out!!!
bacafb40fc980934c24921cce395a895.jpg&key=4ae4ddd34f719f8049e73faee0b13bab949ca031836b83b831e0dfe7ad40829b
cdfd54e551345b92d14c472895b3f0b5.jpg&key=a96a458b61017f26ddd78d9b527955838b52bc891ae469889685af57943c3cfd
Found walking my mother back to her complex after my kids baseball game.
So much for miles and miles of boot time

Wtg. Now you're hooked

Wtg. Now you're hooked

In the first picture that Shroom was broken off and really dried out. Does that mean it’s past time already or more likely that one broken off and died? Can’t get over it we right off a parking lot trail

It mat have been knocked down by an animal or possibly heavybrains knocked it over. The first morels I ever found were the size of a beer cans and were tipped over from heavy rain. I believe you're probably just getting into peak season.

It mat have been knocked down by an animal or possibly heavybrains knocked it over. The first morels I ever found were the size of a beer cans and were tipped over from heavy rain. I believe you're probably just getting into peak season.

Guess I’m not grading papers and preparing for next week as I planned tomorrow!

• Like 1

Is this the right spot? Ash or elm, no?!?
c61233c2cefa520cb51e5c12fda01bf1.jpg&key=30069791add15d932b357eb06df086c119c71a069beb0303f8542b1f1219fff8

Imo that forest floor is a bit too open, but they can grow anywhere.
That may be an elm.

• Like 1

Went past my mothers place again to jus really pay attention to what is growing around the area I found the two yesterday and what do you know

96ff1c68125079ccddc28374b70ceb4c.jpg&key=c9cb3c3fc47e48fff0e8f5d5540633639b0d3aad2b78cdd750b7d54a497c381b

I think I passed you as I was leaving. Wait, are the moms off limits??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Has anyone pickled and eaten any ramps this year?  I'm going to a spot that is LOADED with them tomorrow.  I may pick enough to pickle a quart.

I grabbed two big bundles already and most are gone-lots in eggs; a whole bunch in ramp butter(haven’t tried that yet) and some frozen for later. I need to make another run