Buck in the Backyard.

G-Man

You know what amazes me is some areas around Buffalo, there isn't even real high quality food sources like where I hunt.  There aren't the fields of hay and corn around, but they STILL grow monsters.

That's what I was thinking too?  What an awesome looking buck.  Maybe he'll drop his sheds in the backyard for you in a few months...

non-hunting area ...just hope it makes it to die of old age..instead of a poacher getting him  ;)

unfortunately you know there are guys out there will to do some dumb s**t to bag a deer like this... but deer have been known to travel some far distances, maybe he will tip into a hunting area. who knows... hes a dandy none the less....

Thats because people feed them in their back yards. On top of that, they eat up people's veggie gardens, shrubs, bushes, flowers, apple trees, lawns etc etc. Plenty of good nutrition in the 'burbs.

You must be right somehow, there's the proof.  but hundreds of acres of high protein alfalfa and soy beans vs 1/4 acre of fescue and blue grass?  Winter wheat and corn vs. bushes?  Still amazes me.

You know what amazes me is some areas around Buffalo, there isn't even real high quality food sources like where I hunt.  There aren't the fields of hay and corn around, but they STILL grow monsters.

Age is the biggest thing it seems in growing the bruisers.  You can feed them all the best crops and supplements in the world but if you cork 'em at 2.5 years he just won't have the head gear so many long for.

I would put my money on him getting creamed by an 18 wheeler before he got poached. I think alot of big bucks that dissapear this happens to. One day they are there the next there in the land fill and no one knows where it went to. I would think it would be very difficult not to draw the attention of the authorities ( unless your one of those crossbow poachers  :)  ) with gun fire that close to people.

they caught a few poachers in the area a few ..well maybe more than that now(time flies by it seems) using bows and they were in "prestegious hunting clubs" antlers have become an obsession for way to many people and temptation seems to override good judgement.. i thinks is just nice to see em get big, as for the sheds they are meaningless to me unless you can hunt there its like picking them up off the floor in a zoo. its the one thing i wish nys would change about the record book nybbc keeps..they should be from a huntable area only.

I would put my money on him getting creamed by an 18 wheeler before he got poached. I think alot of big bucks that dissapear this happens to. One day they are there the next there in the land fill and no one knows where it went to. I would think it would be very difficult not to draw the attention of the authorities ( unless your one of those crossbow poachers  :D  ) with gun fire that close to people.

My buddy called me up one time and said he had just hung up a monster buck and I needed to come and look at it. I turned the corner of his house and there was an absolute moose of a buck hanging there. Apperently someone had hit it just before he showed up and it was flopping around in the road. He was trying to cross the road from a residential area going to a highschool football field in the middle of town. He finished it off with a tire iron and a police officer driving by gave him a tag for it. Weighed in at 245 lbs on another buddies scales (pre-rut middle oct.) and the rack was a basic heavy eight point g-2's were 14 inch long and you could face the rack head on and put it around your waist without a tine touching you. Will have to get a pic of the rack and post if I see him again sometime. I wonder how many monsters meet there end this way every yr and no one knows about it.