Groovy Little Motorbike

Been looking for one of these Vintage Honda Scramblers for several years, finally found this 1974 CL 200 Dual Sport in Syracuse for a great price in nice condition with only 1800 miles. I have a lot of good back road riding up this way and this little Honda will be a great way to travel them.

Al

2019-09-13_070510.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Rattler said:

Scramblers are good bikes, very versatile.  I was riding this one in 73 & 74.  I've had quite a few bigger ones since then.

I love the old vintage bikes especially the scramblers. I am kind of surprised they are not more popular, they are great for an easy ride down unpaved gravel roads. About the only thing new on the market these days that holds my interest is the Triumph Street Scrambler. I came within an eyelash of buying one but decided that it was just a bit too big and heavy for what kind of riding I planned on.

This CL 200 is my fifth Honda and the smallest, Got started in motorcycles back in 1970 and purchased the then  new Honda CB 750 four that I wish I had today. I have a 1973 street CB 450 that I am getting road worthy, it is pretty much the same bike as your old CL 450 with low exhaust, and also a 87 CMX 450 Rebel that is decent and runs good. 

Then there was big Bertha, a 2003 Valkyrie with a 1800 cc 6 cylinder engine. The only non Hondas I owned and still ride once in awhile is a vintage 1974 BMW R90 along with a 1978 Harley Electra Glide that I sent packing.

The nice thing about these old vintage bikes is they can be bought very reasonable and are simple enough to work on yourself.

A ride on a warm day is refreshing and like going swimming.:wink:

P1000176.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I moved up from the Honda CL 450 to a Honda 500 4cyl, then a 3 cyl 2cycle Kawasaki 750 (that was a fast bike), then a 2cyl DOHC Kawasaki 750, then a Kawasaki LTD 1000, then a Honda 1000 CBR, then a HD Superglide, then an HD V-Rod, then a HD Streetglide.  I've ridden many other bikes that were owned by friends as well.

I'll see what pics I have and post them.  Currently not riding a bike as the season is too short in the Catskills, the weather isn't very good for riding and the roads are more conducive to an Enduro, which I'm still considering. 

Sadly, these days, I have not the time, nor the desire, to work on old bikes.  But I always want to buy one that's been properly restored.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a joke...

A woman has a pet Schnauser and is tired of trimming him, so she decides to try some NAIR hair remover on the little pup..

Shes rides her motorbike  to a drugstore, goes in and takes a bottle of NAIR to the counter

The druggist tells her..." That stuff is very caustic....I'd advise using it half strength on your legs and quarter strength on your underarms"..

The woman says " You don't understand...This stuff is for my SCHNAUSER"...

The druggist replied, " LADY, if you put that stuff on your SCHNAUSER, you won't be able to ride that Honda for w WEEK  !! "....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 1:04 AM, Rattler said:

I moved up from the Honda CL 450 to a Honda 500 4cyl, then a 3 cyl 2cycle Kawasaki 750 (that was a fast bike), then a 2cyl DOHC Kawasaki 750, then a Kawasaki LTD 1000, then a Honda 1000 CBR, then a HD Superglide, then an HD V-Rod, then a HD Streetglide.  I've ridden many other bikes that were owned by friends as well.

I'll see what pics I have and post them.  Currently not riding a bike as the season is too short in the Catskills, the weather isn't very good for riding and the roads are more conducive to an Enduro, which I'm still considering. 

Sadly, these days, I have not the time, nor the desire, to work on old bikes.  But I always want to buy one that's been properly restored.

just this past weekend wife and i went to out for lunch. four dual sport BMW bikes pulled up. they were a group of chicks that were friends late 30's to 40's. said they do a long ride at least once a year. rode scenic back roads down through VT and into adirondack foothills into NY were we were. who knows were they were going next. i was jealous. that'd be a ride way cooler than just nicer roads. you can take that type of bike anywhere. they had 60% offroad tires too so you know they were.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

a ride way cooler than just nicer roads. you can take that type of bike anywhere.

A small ultra lite pack or collapsible spinning rod along with some salted Buckeye minnows make a good outfit to fish those small streams on those back gravel roads. Drifting a minnow into the culverts and pipes under the roads makes for some pretty good action on native Brookies. They are not very big but they are about as good as it gets for eating.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1