Just discovered a little habit I have has cost me accuracy for four years

Core

I use a typical bow release with a trigger. These things all have a pivot. Ideally the trigger should be parallel to the ground (ie. perpendicular to the string).

Every since I started shooting I've often had to tweak my sight, as if the bow is ever so slightly shooting inconsistently. Not enough to matter while hunting, but an annoyance at longer ranges.

For the first time in years I shot sitting down today to really get a super stable platform and I discovered that my habit of randomly twisting the pivot after I pull back (it lets me pull the trigger on a different point on my finger) is consistently causing arrows to veer. Just a little, but it explains why my zero seems to wander an inch or so at 20 so often. But only horizontally. My vertical was on the money last season and all throughout practicing this one.

When I exaggerated this effect to be sure I wasn't imaging it I can get arrows to consistently veer 6" to the right. All because of a little torque on the d-loop.

Edited by Core

That's why longer axis to axis bows are a little more forgiving. I attach directly to string which is near impossible with short bows as it will pop arrow of string. The shorter the bow the more a little tweak will effect the arrows flight.

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Seems weird that with a wrist strap and your first 2 knuckles touching you jawbone that you would get inconsistent torque on the release.

It's because i literally deliberately twist it sometimes. Just never imagined it would actually matter torquing it that tiny amount.

59 minutes ago, Core said:

One of the ubiquitous trufire ones. I'd like to try one of the other release types at some point, but I'm pretty used to this one now.

After the season try one with a strap connection to the head,  I myself believe Carter’s are the best release made.

BowmanMike  makes a very good point also with face contact. 

19 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Could also be varying amount of pressure on the string from your face. That generally shows up as left or right impact. Go as light as possible with face contact on the string.

Had that issue this year. Was an inch off sometimes. Realized I was doing that exact thing and then back on track.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I liked the Scotts with the strap because you could adjust it to perfect length

We shot Scott’s  for years , and I started looking into the Carter’s quickie 1 plus with the interchangeable springs for the trigger. Bought one lightly used and really liked the adjustability, now thats all we shoot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Are you actually grabbing ahold of the release itself ? 

Nope, I take 100% of the weight on my wrist and only a little finger as possible on the trigger. I think I'm going to put a little lube into the releases' pivot now also.

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Had that issue this year. Was an inch off sometimes. Realized I was doing that exact thing and then back on track.

I'm going to try this also, make sure that I'm not doing that.

Edited by Core

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Some torque on the Dloop is pretty normal, the thumb releases twist them quite a bit

they do and still get ridiculously great accuracy. i tie the D-loop on to minimize it then have each "knot" opposing the other.

• Like 1