Quiver question

fasteddie

What's funny is when a bowhunter will spend $100 plus for something like an Bowtech Octane and then take it off when in the stand . For most of us the quiver is nothing more than a device to carry the arrows from your vehicle to your treestand / ground blind .

Actually , a properly mounted quiver does more to deaden any bow noise .

I either hang the bow on a hook , snipped tree limb or tie it to something .

i always take mine off and clip it to the stand off to the side... my bow is alot more quite with the quiver off. plus i take if off so i dont have the arrows hitting on anything, alittle lighter as well.

I have to take my quiver off when I am on stand. It just doesn't shoot the same with it on. In fact I get an awful lot of torque when the loaded quiver is attached to the bow. i have tried other styles of quivers such as hip quivers and was never satisfied with the ability to keep the arrows secured when going through the brush. So I always keep coming back to bow quivers. But unfortunately it does have to come off to make a shot.

Doc

Agreed but I do find it a pain to be limited to shooting only when the quiver is off. Granted while on stand it is no problem. But I have had occasion to run into a deer while walking to or from my stand and then had to go through all the movement of trying to remove the quiver. Talk about awkward. As far as the extra weight, I really don't mind a little extra weight on my bow. It does help steady the arm a bit. Kind of like a "bull-barrel on a pistol". I don't know, I never weighed my quiver to see just how much it actually weighs. I think the real problem would be where to put it....lol.

Doc

I agree with ya, it can be a pain. I actually tend to strap my quiver onto the side of my backpack when Im walking in or out of the woods anyway. The mount for my quiver is there pretty much just to keep the two things together when they are hanging on the hook at home lol.

What I like about a bow quiver is that when walking through thick brush or weeds, the bow and the arrows are all one package to more easily guide through the mess. With one hand you can keep track of both and avoid damage to both.

A whole bunch of years ago, I was using a hip quiver. I was walking from the edge of a field of some pretty tall goldenrod into the woods, and somehow something snagged an arrow and pulled it out of the quiver, pinwheeling it out in front of me where it landed with the nock on the ground and the broadhead supported on some goldenrod about shin high and pointing right back at me. Fortunately, I saw all this happen an was able to stop quick enough to avoid getting speared on it. When I got home, that quiver went in the trash.

Doc