Why?

Forest Hunter

Gotta agree...just stupidity. Every year you get a regulation book with you license....so every hunter should know the regulations. Now...the law not to feed......that might catch someone from the public. But a lot don't care anyway. I can't tell you how many folks I have seen over the years feeding ducks right next to "Don't feed the ducks" signs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say entrapment jokingly but the simple fact that they allow stores to sell it but illegal to use outside of domestic animals.  If so, why don't they just force the store to sell cattle feed instead of something called "BoneDmonium Deer Attractant and Mineral Supplement".  Which by the way, the description on Gander Mountain's website reads: "Improve your HUNT or elevate your deer's nutritional plane with BoneDmonium, a revolutionary ATTRACTANT and nutritional supplement designed for whitetail deer."  Guess where you find this product?  In the hunting section.  DEC can easily state that store cannot sell feeds products that specifically advertise towards baiting but they know that store will comply if forced by law where as the general public won't as much.  I think in this case, DEC actually wants you to break the law so they can cash in on the fines.

"They" allow the store to sell it  "They" could force the store to stop selling it.  Who is "THEY" for starters and I know we are starting to move that way, but we are not a communist state yet.  Just do th simple thing and not buy it and "THEY" would not have to worry about it being used.  Cigarettes will kill you proven fact maybe "THEY" should force stores to stop selling them.  I do not need "THEY" looking that closely over my shoulder and telling me what I can and cant buy.  It is not illegal to buy it, so "THEY" have no say in it.  Why fault the store selling it.  Fault the fool buying it and using it. Or are we supposed o save him from himself.  If a person wanted it bad enough, thye could go to a state where it is legal and buy it,(like fireworks)  or have it shipped to them.  I guess what I am trying to say is if people want it bad enough and plan to break the law and use it, "THEY" can not stop it.  If no one bought it, the stores would quit selling it.  Maybe THEY" should see when I buy seed where I plant it and what eats it. 

"They" allow the store to sell it  "They" could force the store to stop selling it.  Who is "THEY" for starters and I know we are starting to move that way, but we are not a communist state yet.  Just do th simple thing and not buy it and "THEY" would not have to worry about it being used.  Cigarettes will kill you proven fact maybe "THEY" should force stores to stop selling them.  I do not need "THEY" looking that closely over my shoulder and telling me what I can and cant buy.  It is not illegal to buy it, so "THEY" have no say in it.  Why fault the store selling it.  Fault the fool buying it and using it. Or are we supposed o save him from himself.  If a person wanted it bad enough, thye could go to a state where it is legal and buy it,(like fireworks)  or have it shipped to them.  I guess what I am trying to say is if people want it bad enough and plan to break the law and use it, "THEY" can not stop it.  If no one bought it, the stores would quit selling it.  Maybe THEY" should see when I buy seed where I plant it and what eats it.

They would refer to DEC or state lawmakers, not the SS, so dont start that nonsense. The whole point is, the stuff is allowed to be sold, with no signs saying the products are illegal to use in NY, and then the employees in the stores are telling customers that its legal to use. Simple solution would be to post signs that explain the law. Since food plots are legal, and the products we are talking about are far from seed, Im not sure where your last comment has any relevance.

Our country is surrounded by a "saving him of himself" mentality.  That is the reason why coffee cups have "Warning: Contents Are Hot" written all over the cup along with millions of wasted dollars in court proceeding and pay out.  Just because some dumb lady decided to hold a cup of coffee between her legs while driving.  Now, McDonalds is being sued by parents of obese children blaming McDonalds for making them fat.  Even after the food industry was forced to place nutritional content on everything it sells.

Actually, the law makes no sense. If you look up the definition of baiting, it clearly states to "Entice and Lure", which food plots most certainly do. Now, I have nothing against food plots, and I certainly don't bait. The law states "It's illegal to feed wild deer." Don't food plots feed wild deer? Realistically, if you want to get technical, most of us bait in unintentional ways. Where do we tend to hunt? Over food sources, knowing full well that the deer will be lured there. We use these natural sources to lure deer to the area. If someone gathers a bunch of acorns in the woods, and puts them in the area of their stand, is that baiting? It's kind of an oxymoron, if you think about it. Seriously, what is the difference between a guy throwing a bag of corn, and a guy planting acres of corn to draw in the deer? Seeds? So what? That bag of corn started out as seeds once, too. I've never understood the logic of this law. Apparently, this law was based on the CWD scare. The problem, of course, is that CWD can be spread just as easily in a food plot. If two deer eat off the same shoot, or apple, or ear of corn, aren't the odds, especially if one deer is infected, the same that the other deer will get infected? Again, it baffles the mind. If they don't want feeding of the deer, then it should have been clear across the board, in my opinion. Again, that's just my opinion.

Actually, the law makes no sense. If you look up the definition of baiting, it clearly states to "Entice and Lure", which food plots most certainly do. Now, I have nothing against food plots, and I certainly don't bait. The law states "It's illegal to feed wild deer." Don't food plots feed wild deer? Realistically, if you want to get technical, most of us bait in unintentional ways. Where do we tend to hunt? Over food sources, knowing full well that the deer will be lured there. We use these natural sources to lure deer to the area. If someone gathers a bunch of acorns in the woods, and puts them in the area of their stand, is that baiting? It's kind of an oxymoron, if you think about it. Seriously, what is the difference between a guy throwing a bag of corn, and a guy planting acres of corn to draw in the deer? Seeds? So what? That bag of corn started out as seeds once, too. I've never understood the logic of this law. Apparently, this law was based on the CWD scare. The problem, of course, is that CWD can be spread just as easily in a food plot. If two deer eat off the same shoot, or apple, or ear of corn, aren't the odds, especially if one deer is infected, the same that the other deer will get infected? Again, it baffles the mind. If they don't want feeding of the deer, then it should have been clear across the board, in my opinion. Again, that's just my opinion.

You have to look at what the law says in its entirety, you cant just cherry pick words and put unintentional meaning behind them. The same law that you quote as making no sense clearly states that food plots are fine.

It may be slightly different, but not impossible-that's the whole point. Again, I have no issue with food plots, but, let's face it-food plots are for one thing only-to lure deer into that area. i.e. baiting.

That's your flawed view...  If you think dumping a pile of corn verses a plot are the same thing then you need to do some research.

I have to admit, this is an interesting discussion, but it's certainly not to insult, or create problems. Just an opposing point of view. Incidentally, I talked to the DEC in New Paltz today, probably for a good hour, at least. While most of the conversation did pertain to other issues concerning hunting, I did happen to ask about this law. According to the DEC, allowing food plots, is based on the premise that these food plots were being used for agricultural purposes. He, himself, said that technically, planting a food plot for deer, could be considered baiting, and feeding. That's my point-it can be confusing. Hell, if I owned property, I'd probably plant one too!

It may be slightly different, but not impossible-that's the whole point. Again, I have no issue with food plots, but, let's face it-food plots are for one thing only-to lure deer into that area. i.e. baiting.

To add my 2 cents, most of the areas east of the Hudson have fields and fields of corn and soybean that are usually planted by local farmers for purposes of growing feed for various animals. Does the corn and soybean attract deer? Sure it does but I don't think that's the main reason why its planted. Many locals in my area have a lot of acreage but they do not have the capabilities or equipment to farm the land so they rent it out to local farmers who plant and harvest the corn/soybeans.  The stalks are usually up through November and they are harvested in the middle of firearm season. The area that I hunt had corn a few years back, last year soybean was planted and this year there is corn growing now. I guess I've been lucky enough to have this food source around.

And based on the regulations and the clear questions and answers in the regulations guide, you would be 100% legal. That is why it is important to get any comment from DEC in some form of writing. Too often no two of them see a law the same way.

Actually, I agree with you 100%. It certainly does seem that the one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing for some reason.

I think that baiting and enticement laws are a real touchy topic. It is like racial laws and what is racist and what is not.

If you make a food plot to feed deer corn it is legal. If you get a bag of corn kernals and feed deer with it is illegal. It is just something that will probably not be cleared up for a while.

They would refer to DEC or state lawmakers, not the SS, so dont start that nonsense. The whole point is, the stuff is allowed to be sold, with no signs saying the products are illegal to use in NY, and then the employees in the stores are telling customers that its legal to use. Simple solution would be to post signs that explain the law. Since food plots are legal, and the products we are talking about are far from seed, Im not sure where your last comment has any relevance.

In the first place it is not nonsense.  If they as in dec is allowed to tell people in the stores what they can sell and not sell, what is next.  We do not need more govt control.  I hope this explains it clear enough for you.  If not let me know and I will draw a picture.

The DEC in any state has no authority to restrict the sale of any commercial product that is not illegal.  They only have the power to control how it is used.  It is not illegal to sell it in NY or any other state.

They would, however, have the authority or contacts to make it the law to post signs explaining the law on the shelves where the products are sold. At least that would make those that use it aware that it is in fact, illegal in this state.

This seems like a very reasonable thing to do... not that they have the money to do it right now. But the idea is solid. The state of NY already requires similar signage in other aspects of retail; e.g. have you noticed that in garden centers they are now legally obligated to post signs in relevance with using chemical herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers in your lawn.

You clearly made a point that you  indeed missed.  Like you said a food plot lures dear into an AREA and a bait pile lures a deer into a spot, rather a specific spot.

You clearly made a point that you  indeed missed.  Like you said a food plot lures dear into an AREA and a bait pile lures a deer into a spot, rather a specific spot.

You guys really want to know the real difference between the DEC's view of food plots and bait? In my opinion, it is that food plots are individual contributions to habitat that the DEC doesn't have to pay for or support in any way. In other words, food plots allow hunters to do the DEC's work for them free of charge. There's nothing about baiting that does this same habitat enhancement thing.