Used Bows = No Manufacturers Warranty?

Cabin Fever

So I was in an archery shop yesterday browsing around and looking at the used bows. A guy came up to me and made a good point that I hadn't considered. He said that the used bows are priced ~$200 less than the new bows, but that you don't get the manufacturers lifetime warranty, as it is "only valid for the origional owner". So if you're planning on keeping the bow for a while (my current bow is ~15 years old!), you're better off getting a new bow, even if it's lower end but in your price range, so you get the manufacturers lifetime warranty.  Manufacturers warrantys are the same from low end to upper end. Granted, he may be looking to push the new bows, BUT I'm glad he made brought up that point to me! Definately swayed my opinion!

I did a little research last night and all the manufacturers that I looked up said their warrantys are ONLY valid for the origional owner. Granted, I only looked up 3 or 4, but are they ALL this way?

so how does one prove that they are the original ower to the manufacturer?  Is there some type of registration done when purchasing the bow?  Is there a serial number on the bow which is registered to the original owner?  These are legit questions I have.  T/C also says the same thing, but when I have purchased a used t/c they have always taken care of any concerns I had.  My guess yeah he was trying to push new bows.             

I saw this while looking into the warrantys. Guess this is how they know who the origional owner is:

Warranty Card. For the Warranty to be in effect, the Warranty card must be completed and properly returned - with a copy of the purchase receipt - within 30 days of purchase for Warranty to be in effect.

Most good bow manufacturers will fix issues related to manufacturing defects even if you arent the original owner. If that bow shop is only knocking $200 off of retail on a used bow, I would go elsewhere. Typically a 1 year old used bow can be picked up for half of retail or less. Sounds to me like the guy was trying to push you toward a new bow, which is understandable, since the 2012 models will be coming out soon and they are trying to clear 2011 inventory.

BTW, Elite bows have a fully transferable lifetime warranty.

BTW, Elite bows have a fully transferable lifetime warranty!!!!!!

I don't think any other company stands behind their bows with that kind of warranty. A friend of mine had an issue with his bow. He said he was on the phone with the guy for about an hour. The Elite rep wasn't giving him the run around he was actually interested in what his problem was, they talked mostly about hunting, bows, etc. He sent it in and it was taken care of. They actually did 1 or 2 things that company's warranty's don't cover for free.

Their headquarters is here in NY so I decided to make the switch this year to a 2009 Z28!

I saw this while looking into the warrantys. Guess this is how they know who the origional owner is:

Warranty Card. For the Warranty to be in effect, the Warranty card must be completed and properly returned - with a copy of the purchase receipt - within 30 days of purchase for Warranty to be in effect.

So does T/c require a warranty card.  I still have not had any problems.

PSE bows warranties are transferable.  I bought a used PSE at a yardsale a couple years ago just so the boys could start flinging some arrows at targets before they are able to bowhunt.  The limb pockets on it ended up being broken and I took the bow to a PSE dealer and they covered it under manufacture warranty and I got it back with no charge. You guys talk about Golden Eagle bows got me chuckiling cause I got it worse than you guys now. MY backup is a Golden Eagle and my newest bow 2 years old is a Browning and by far my favorite bow I ever shot.  PSE made the bows for Browning and now Browning has closed their archery division.  Browning told me via email to address all warranty concerns with PSE.  PSE told me sorry they no longer support them.  I guess that is as good as an exuse as any to get me a new one next year lol.

PSE bows warranties are transferable.  I bought a used PSE at a yardsale a couple years ago just so the boys could start flinging some arrows at targets before they are able to bowhunt.  The limb pockets on it ended up being broken and I took the bow to a PSE dealer and they covered it under manufacture warranty and I got it back with no charge. You guys talk about Golden Eagle bows got me chuckiling cause I got it worse than you guys now. MY backup is a Golden Eagle and my newest bow 2 years old is a Browning and by far my favorite bow I ever shot.  PSE made the bows for Browning and now Browning has closed their archery division.  Browning told me via email to address all warranty concerns with PSE.  PSE told me sorry they no longer support them.  I guess that is as good as an exuse as any to get me a new one next year lol.

You may have just gotten lucky. From the PSE website:

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

ALL PSE MANUFACTURED BOWS / ACCESSORIES / KI NG PRODUCTS

Each PSE Bow is backed by a PSE Limited Lifetime Warranty to the original owner for the life of the product.

Product will be replaced or repaired to restore it to its original performance. Cables, strings, or wearable

items are not covered by this warranty.

i know when i bought my mathews bow the dealer took down the serial number of the bow and submitted everything to mathews.

Same when I bought mine.  I however did not get anything from Mathews stating that I am in their system, not sure if they send out something. But the dealer did take my information as well as the serial number of my bow.

Well it was a couple years ago maybe they have since changed their policy.  But I also am wondering if the dealer never gave my name to PSE and they just assumed it was still owned by the original owner.  I guess it might be a good ideal to remember the name of the original owner if anyone buys a used bow lol.

You may have just gotten lucky. From the PSE website:

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

ALL PSE MANUFACTURED BOWS / ACCESSORIES / KI NG PRODUCTS

Each PSE Bow is backed by a PSE Limited Lifetime Warranty to the original owner for the life of the product.

Product will be replaced or repaired to restore it to its original performance. Cables, strings, or wearable

items are not covered by this warranty.

Buy a quality name used bow and do not worry about the warranty. You are still ahead of the game because of the extras that are usually included, especially from buying used from an individual. The upgraded sights, quiver, case...whatever, makes it definitely worth the risk because bows rarely fail to begin with.

I bought a 2yr old diamond black ice used on Ebay with upgraded fiber optics sights, fall away rest, and stabilizer for a little more than half of what just a bare new one would cost with options i would not want and would then have to buy on top.

My wife bought a used Hoyt Katera for me and have had no problem with it. I did call Hoyt for a question about about the risers and they told me if I had a problem I should take it to an authorized dealer and they would take care of everything under their warranty. Customer service knows when the bow was bought and by whom.