Mossberg 500?

Went and got it today.  Ended up being $379 after tax at Dick's.

My initial impression is that it seems solid.  doesn't rattle nearly as much as i expected for a "discount" gun.  The camo pattern looks good and the overall lines of the gun are nice.

I'm curious about how the securely the scope will lock up on the integrated rail, but overall i'm really happy.

Now, i need to find out what it likes to eat.  Any suggestions ?

Went and got it today.  Ended up being $379 after tax at Dick's.

My initial impression is that it seems solid.  doesn't rattle nearly as much as i expected for a "discount" gun.  The camo pattern looks good and the overall lines of the gun are nice.

I'm curious about how the securely the scope will lock up on the integrated rail, but overall i'm really happy.

Now, i need to find out what it likes to eat.  Any suggestions ?

The scope should be fine on the newer models, which are drilled and tapped for a rail. My old one is not, and requires a side plate style mount, which absolutely sucks.

I assume you got a rifled barrel? Just buy a box or two of each brand and type and shoot them. See which ones pattern the best and stick with them. IMO, stay away from the Remington Copper Solid Sabots. I shoot Hornady SSTs and have heard really good things about the Remington Premier Accu-tips.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a mossberg 535 12 ga. its the best low maintence shot gun i ever owned .break down very easy yes it has a rattle here and there but . but the 4 doe and 1 buck and atleast a half dozen turkey never really cared if it rattled . they walked in front of it any way

My father in law bought a 20 gauge smoothbore Mossberg 500 in 1965 and had a Weaver Qwik-Point sight mounted on it . He shot several deer with it over the years .

My SIL has it now and she had killed several deer with the Mossberg . She shot a 5 pt buck at 169 paces ( 130 + yards ) using a Federal foster slug . Never had any mal-function issue .

My son has his brother's Mossberg 835 ultra and it is an awesome shotgun .

I don't own a Mossberg but if I was going to buy a shotgun , I would buy a Mossberg before any Remington .

I've had the Mossberg 525 pump with turkey and waterfowl barrel for about 5 years. Never had an issue with it except for the shell feeder. It occasionally does not feed the shell unless I pump it with a little bit more force. Overall I've taken some nice gobblers with it.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

They are not Ithaca's or older Wingmaster's. They are a decent gun though especially for the price and the combo set is pretty decent. I think there are three barrel combo sets available now with slug, turkey, and long barrel. They can be very versatile shotguns and perform very well in certain formats.

I bought my 500 when local Walmart decided to stop carrying guns. I got one in camo with the vented barrel for 125 bucks. The action wobbles a little but the gun shots straight and has been a great gun. Even after my dog got a hold of the but stock and decided to naw on it for a bit lol mines 8 years old and has thousands of rounds through it and its still my favorite turkey and small game gun. I'm going to buy a slug barrel this year I think.