Mossberg 500?

Dick's has a sale on for a Mossberg Trophy Hunter 500 Slug Gun in 12 gauge.  $349. [table][tr][td]

12 gauge24" barrel with integral scope baseFully rifled boreDual combRealtree AP camo[/t]

Any thoughts on this model?[/td][/tr][/table]

I personally wouldnt pay 10 bucks for a mossberg ever again in my life.  They are rattle boxes and I have warped more than one barrel on them.  First time I did it I thought it was a fluke. Ordered a new barrel and it happened again, called the dealer and he said well you cant shoot too many rounds through them without letting the gun cool down.  Dang man I only shot 10 rounds through the piece of shit at the range. 

I have a 500C in 20ga and an old 500 12ga. The only issue I have had with my 20 is the cheap scope mount thats available for it. I never could keep it tight, and after a while it would be out of whack. Other than that, you cant make it misfeed or not perform. My 500 12ga is something my father left in the attic for 30 years and it is rusted all to heck. One of these days Im going to go through it and clean it up and get it working again. They are good guns for the money, and depending on what configuration/slug you use, are plenty effective out to 100 to 125 yards.

There's a reason why Mossberg 500 is contracted by the US military, most police forces, and their most widely used shotgun.  My brother and I both have one and we have not have any issues.  The one he used in Iraq to clear homes with and sand and dust kicked all over it.  The personal one he has is a used one.  (Mine was bought new)  We never had any issues with it.  Personally I think for the money, it's a great buy.

There's a reason why Mossberg 500 is contracted by the US military, most police forces, and their most widely used shotgun.  My brother and I both have one and we have not have any issues.  The one he used in Iraq to clear homes with and sand and dust kicked all over it.  The personal one he has is a used one.  (Mine was bought new)  We never had any issues with it.  Personally I think for the money, it's a great buy.

Yeah cause its cheap......

wdswtr, what year was this?

early 2000's so I would say 8 to 10 years ago.  I still have it with a bird barrel on it now but its got more dust than anything I own.  I hate the things, families got a couple newer 2 or 3 year old mossberge 500 they bring to camp and they dont impress me either.  I dont recomend them at all.

Yeah cause its cheap......

That it certainly is.  It's not a $1000 Benalli but they seem to take a beating and still get the job done.  Which shotgun would you recommend at their price range?

Went to Dicks last night to look at tree stands, and ended up in the gun section.  Figure that. Anyways, looked at a Mossberg 500, 12 Ga., with a nice wood stock, deer barrel, and scope mount reduced for $279. Think they took the scope out of the box, and reduced the price.  It had vent holes in the top end of the thick barrel.  Guy behind the counter said Mossberg put them in because of heat up issues, after firing a number of shells. Anyone know about this?  They are noisey after some use, but so is my Remington 870 after 8 years on it. The shocker was when the clerk said we could take it home  right away after an F.B.I. check cleared. Where did the 3 day waiting period go in this state? Would this be an ok gun for a small amount of deer hunting?

The 835 has a back bored barrel, which a 500 doesn't have, which helps with patterning because it causes less pellet deformation.  It also reduces recoil, as do those holes in the barrel, called porting.  Those are there to reduce recoil and muzzle jump on firing.  They don't do anything to reduce the heat of the barrel.

I know the barrel is overbored - hence the patterns.

As for reduced recoil :O

Gun kicks like a mule. Much more so than a lot of others i have shot with the same loads. I am young and i can handle it now but i have a feeling in another 25 or 30 years i will have to retire it  :-\  In the mean time im going to try like hell to wear it out.

As for the porting i dont notice much but my buddy notices the noise ;D

I used a 500 for my first 15 deer, with a bird barrel with improved cylinder, and with the buck barrel. it was and still is a reliable gun for deer, took a lot of grouse,rabbit with it as well. yes the forarm rattles but it has a dual slide arm allowing you to jack out a shell relabilly. I was able to pass this gun to a friend who had taken his first 6 deer with it and he has just passed it down to his son for this year. Yes there are more solid guns built out there that are machined vs stamped but you'll pay a lot more for them for the same relability, If its what fits your budjet it will serve you well. if you one day can move up to browning,top of the line remington,or any other top gun manufacture you will look back fondly on your "beater mossberg"!! Inexpensive gun yes..cheap no!!

If you own a Mossberg 835 and it has a synthetic stock, you can add weight inside the butt stock to dampen recoil.  It works real well.  I had a jar full of pennies that I didn't want to deal with.  I loaded the butt stock with them and the recoil dropped dramatically.  I thought I'd try that before loading it with lead birdshot.  That would've cost more and may have been too heavy.  I find the recoil to be about the same as a 500 with 2 3/4" high brass shells in it now.

Since I use a sling and carry it for turkey and goose most often, the extra weight isn't lugged around very much.