Scopes?

Paulie

Guys,

Any help would be appreciated. I have a CVA Optima 45 cal and for the past 3 yrs have been hunting with open sights. (I figured that if I was hunting with a primitave weapon, I might as well be as primitive as possible and not scope it) Well, I love shooting it and I think i may use it dring the shotun season as well so I want to put a scope on it. I bought one of those starter packages at Gander Mountain (you know everything you need to shoot all in one!) Well I got a great deal as it was miss marked. I think the whole package was $200 or 250ish and It was marked $100 so no complaining there.....I just can't justify paying more for a scope then i paid for the gun and whenever i look in the Cabela's catalog that is what i would be doing (maybe that is just me).....do you have any suggestions on a good scope that will hold up and is realitively inexpensive? I have been hunting for almost 20 years and never bought a scope...all my guns have been handed down in the family...so i really have no idea about scopes...really all i know is they were on the gun and they still work, so i shoot them (I know, that's bad!!) My longest shot would probably be 100 yards.....What do you think? Any Suggestions?

Thanks again!

well just because you got a deal which 100 bucks sure is, the package was worth at least twice that much, which in my books raises the value of what you can put in a scope. My generic advice has always been get the best scope you can afford. Nikon pro staff is a great scope for around 125 bucks. Or a redfield revolution (which is now made by leupold) I do not think you can go wrong with a good bushnell either. I look at it as I can buy a low end scope now and buy another in a couple years or just buy a good one the first time. The amount of magnification is a personal choice. I have 3x9x40, but honestly it is rarely over 4 power.

I have a 1 1/2 X 4 1/2 Bushnell shotgun scope on my NEF Huntsman and it works fine for me . I don't plan on shooting over 150 yards with the inline . I bought the scope used ( looked new ) at the Avon Gun Shop . Even though it's a small shop , they don't mark things way up like others do .

My suggestion is a Nikon Pro-staff. They're durable, the glass is Leupold quality, and IMO eye relief is important for a muzzleloader scope. In my experience that's where the Bushnell's fall behind. I worked in the lodge at Dick's for a year so I've handled most brands and talked to company reps. Just my $.02

Thanks guys I appreciate the help....Bubba, I hear ya..the package was worth at least double that and a quality scope the first time is probably the best bet...I will take a look at all those mentioned above and let you know what I wind up with.....thanks again!!

If you are going to spend a bit more, take a peek at Vortex as well. Great glass with a lifetime warranty. Ive seen and gotten the best deals on them as swfa.com

Ill be picking one of them up for my new ML this year. Havent picked the exact scope yet.

They have the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 on sale right now for $149.99 and that is Vortex's top line, so you are getting a heck of a deal. I just may order two of those for that price.

OK, so as i am limited on opportuity to shop (and I am home this week with my daughter before she starat school) soI caved and bought what was at the local Dick's because i didn't want to shop around......for not too much money......$70///more to come!!

Ok so I bought a "Center Point Power Class" scope for $69...on their website it goes for about $150+????...I never heard of them but it was the clearist of the scopes that Dick's had with the best eye relif (and due to limited shoping opportunitites, I settled....). I looked at the Bushnel and the Bone Collector model (which my 3 yrd old wanted me to buy...hahah) as well as Simmions and Nikon models and this was the clearist....I hope it holds up. Disck's did have all of the BDC redicle scopes startin at $150 but i was with my old man who wouldn't have it.......hahaha. Maybe it was me but tBone Collector had a very short relief...although that was my favorite scope that was on display.Either way, i figure i can try out his scope and pass along some info to all of you guys.......if it sucks, oh well...if it is good more power to me!! It does have one cool thing i like,......I can adjust the redicles to be more green or red depending on the light i am hunting in...That make's it a cool scope for me until I need to replace the battery!!! hhaha

Ok, so I bought the scope at Dick's (which includes a mount if yo ubuy a scope)....my old man who is retired said don;t worry about mounting it, let just take it all home (as he doesn't want to leave a gun in the store) and I will mount it with my buddy along with the scope he bought. Well his scope went on fine! When he went to mount mine the screws for the mounts don't fit the holes that were already in the gun.......as soon as i talked to him, he said...ok, go ahead and say it!! "should have left the gun"....so he went to a local gun shop and now it's gonna take 10 days and he will see if he can get mounts that fit properly or he can re-tap the gun and fit it accordingly.....I dhould have just ordered the mounts and scope from CVA!!!

Bubba, could i be crazy to think that the tapped the gun to only fit CVA and a few other mounts? I almost feel like it is a conspiracy to get me to buy there product as when i went online they had plenty to offer that fit, TC, Traditions, CVa etc.....we checked everything but the freaking screws to make sure the mount were ok with clearance, relief, etc....son of a ...

Anyway, everything is at the gun shop in carmel, lets see what happens....ny hunter, thank you for the input. the gun was already dropped off by the time i read this. If the guy in carmel isn't up to par, i will go to Charlie....I hear the guy in Carmel is very good, just a little slow...although i still have some time so i'm not worried.

Yeah they have their own mounts and a few after market ones that fit. I am guessing that they just gae you the wrong base as said. Otherwise the barrel is not drilled correctly. If that were the case, I would send it back to cva. Ok I am confused a bit now. I reread ad does the base fit, and the scope does not mount right, or does the base itself no fit? If the base fits and the scope doesnt align right, then it is the rings that need to be changed. The gun shop guy should be able to figure it out.

Edited by bubba

yeah, it's all good for now ....at least until i get the gun back!! I figured that all barrels' were tapped the same so all the screws would fit regardless of the make and model....guess i was wrong....or maybe i'm just jynxed since i got the gun for a steal...hahah